6600GT Poor Driver Performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by SnakeByte193786, Dec 26, 2004.

1. GFDuke

GFDuke Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5870 l
    Nice Is that stock cooling?

2. AFJsvt

AFJsvt New Member

GPU:
    XFX gf 6600GT
    Boy do I feel like a complete idiot. I was fed up with the crashing/rebooting and was ready to return my card for an MSI model. I went to take out the card and noticed I DID NOT HAVE THE POWER CABLE PLUGGED INTO THE CARD!!!! Man I feel stupid. The card runs like a dream now. I ran 3Dmark03 and got a 5527 score using the 66.97 drivers. I've got 1gig of Crucial PC2100 memory. Would PC3200 memory be better or should I just buy another stick of 512 pc2100?

3. Massive Overkil

Massive Overkil Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640 700/1000
    Thanks, it's the stock 1st design cooler (the one with the copper plate) with the cover plate removed and a 120mm fan blowing on it.

4. Killgore

Killgore Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800 GTX
    Now that you are done hijacking this thread can we get back to the real problem please?

5. GFDuke

GFDuke Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5870 l
    do not mix ram. check with you Motherboad manufacturer for compatable ram. If you can run pc3200 its alot faster.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  6. AFJsvt

AFJsvt New Member

GPU:
    XFX gf 6600GT

How is this a hijacking???????
    I was having problems with my XFX 6600gt and came to the point where I thought the issue laid with the drivers I was running??
    Is this thread not about drivers????????????????????

Judging by some of your previous posts, you must not be a very happy person.

:O

7. Killgore

Killgore Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800 GTX
    Yes, spending $240 bucks on a graphics card that does work as advertised makes me angry. :mad:

My last post was to remind people there is a real issue here, not just people forgetting to hook up the extra power connector which, thanks to you, half the people reading this thread will think is the problem.

I just want my card to work so I can have fun and play games. Is that so horrible?

8. GFDuke

GFDuke Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5870 l
    Killgore have you treid the new 71.20 drivers? Also there is a newer set now the 71.22.

71.20 drivers

71.22 drivers

let us know if they help.

9. virgilr

virgilr Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb
    I've tried both 71.20 and 71.22- neither show an improvement over the best drivers I've tried, which is 66.93- actually, with 71.22, the water in HL2 is a lovely yellow tint! Going back to 66.93..

Also, with both 71.20 and .22, my agp aperture is listed as 1 for GPU, chipset, OS and Optimal! That's a joke!!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  10. Killgore

Killgore Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800 GTX
    Tried both 71.20 and 71.22 with no change in performance. :(

virgilr, in 71.22 and 71.20 my agp aperature is also listed as "1" for everything.

11. GFDuke

GFDuke Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5870 l
    Change your AGP aperature in your system bios.

12. CoolAlex

CoolAlex Guest

Anyone tried the 71.24 BETA???

13. Henzy

Henzy Member

GPU:
    XFX nVIDIA GeForce 6800
    Good thing I ordered an XFX 6800 instead of a 6600GT. :D

Haven't had any problems.

Wish I could help. :(

14. virgilr

virgilr Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb
    Duke, that's the point- In whatever driver, I'm not seeing the AGP aperture reflected properly! When I "change it in the bios", it doesn't change in the driver panel- with 66.93, both chipset and OS show the agp aperture at 32, regardless of what I set in the bios. I think I'll actually take the time to put my 5900XT back in and see if any of this changes... what a huge waste of time, I swear nvidia better get this straightened out!

15. greyv

greyv Guest

i was having the same performance issues. i found that using the refresh rate overide settings in the drivers was causing it. i disabled that and used the refresh rate overide in rivatuner. doubled my performance. hope this helps

16. virgilr

virgilr Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb
    I've left the refresh rate override to "application controls refresh rate"- but I'll give it a go!