6600GT has too much shimmering!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by raul100, Jun 18, 2005.

1. particleman

particleman Active Member

GPU:
    2x 280 GTX SLi
    Lowering the LOD will result in blurrier textures, causing textures to be blurrier than they should be and losing image qualty.

2. maquinte

maquinte New Member

GPU:
    MSI 6600GT VTD128@Topower 420.
    9800pro better than 6600gt, AA-FF-AZ-VD-DF-KM-LP.....never..
    see it ur self, seach google.....

MaQ

3. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    And in English?

4. particleman

particleman Active Member

GPU:
    2x 280 GTX SLi

5. thevoid

thevoid Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek GeForce 6600GT + FX 5700
    I`ve been playing around with the LOD bias settings ( using RivaTuner ) and I managed to get rid of the occasional "moire patterns" visible on wall textures ( I was testing with Half-Life 2 ). Here is the setup that so far generates no "moire" patterns and very very little ( almost undetectable ) shimmering:

Driver:
    All on "Application Controller", Triple Buffering ON
    + "High Quality". LOD bias "Allow", not on "Clamp".

In the game:

1280x1024, everything Maxed-Out, except AA which is 2x
    and AF - which is 16x.

And the most important setting: I forced LOD bias of +0.5 from RivaTuner for the DirectX applications. And I see no texture degradation, just that moire patterns on wall textures are now completely gone, and shimmering is almost undetectable. With LOD of +1 the shimmering ( I say ) it`s gone, but unfortunately it starts to blur the textures ( it`s quite visible ). So I let my config on LOD Bias of +0.5.

I wonder what will NVIDIA come up with to fix this, in my oppinion very serious, problem.

:rolleyes:

6. sniperbr0

sniperbr0 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC BLACK 1080TI
    ROFL!!!!!!!

I laughed so hard reading this thread

guys I created 3 threads since january asking ppl about this problem but every1 said they didnt see any shimmering!

well I first noticed it on splintercell chaos theory VS beta, and I found a possible fix

heres the deal:

I found that if I force AF from nvidia control panel, I get shimmering, but if I leave it application controlled, its almost gone, I can notice it on FPS games when im really far from the ground textures im looking at, I mean REALLY FAR!

so thats wat I do: I leave it on Application Controlled in nvidia control panel and FORCE it in the games, I just set it to AF 16X inside the game settings, but some games dont have the option to set AF in it, so I edit some files and BINGO, I got AF16X without shimmering

but there are exceptions: games like warcraft3 doesnt have that option, so I create a profile for it, set it to AF 16X, then I use Rivatuner to force AA 4xS! it must be 4xS!!! then the shimmering is gone for games that u need to force AF16X

if u have a really good eye, then just play the game at high resolution, force 4xS using Rivatuner (while setting it to AF16X inside the game) and u wont see any shimmering again!

if u still see, just set MIPMAP LOD setting in rivatuner to .1-.3 with AA 4xS and AF16X in-game on, then u wont see any shimmering, im sure u wont...

but still u guys made it really far, congrats, now nvidia will fix this (hope so), until they do, do wat I said and be happy...

7. sniperbr0

sniperbr0 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC BLACK 1080TI
    BTW wat are the ULTRA QUALITY setting u guys are talking about?

I dont see it on nvidia control panel...

8. thevoid

thevoid Master Guru

GPU:
    My question is:

Can the shimmering and occasional moire patterns on textures be fixed with a future driver release ?

If yes, I would like to have this option, even if it would sacrifice let`s say 20% of the performance. I don`t care.

But if it`s a hardware "feature" then I won`t buy an NVIDIA graphics card ever again!

This pisses me off even more than the not-so-stellar (read: weak) shader performance of the FX series cards.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  9. Ragnarök

Ragnarök Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950 GT @ Stock
    I have the same problem with my weapon models and thats really annoying.

[​IMG]

10. flexmaster

flexmaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire X1800XT 512mb/ 6800 GO
    Well according to Nvidia, they have noticed the shimmering with the latest 7800 GTX and 7800 GT and are currently working to fix the issue.

11. thevoid

thevoid Master Guru

GPU:
    So in other words they admitted it for the 7-Series.

But the GeForce 6-Series has the same shimmering problem, only not that accentuated. ( the 7-Series has even more shimmering ). They will have to admit it for the 6-Series also.

Oh, and let`s not forget about those ugly moire patterns!

I have +0.5 for LOD BIAS and almost got rid of the shimmerin g and the moire patterns. But that means lowering the image -quality.

I hope they fix is not that they "silently" lower the image-quality on the 6-Series and the 7-Series GeForce.

12. hemmy

hemmy Master Guru

GPU:
    2x6950 Crossfire
    I just had to laugh, the FX series did not have good AF quality

i never have seen any shimmering with my 6800, i have played every game i own searching, and nothing

13. flexmaster

flexmaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire X1800XT 512mb/ 6800 GO
    Did you play San Andreas cause everyone got it in that game.

14. thevoid

thevoid Master Guru

GPU:
    The GeForce FX line has much better AF quality than the 6-Series and the 7-Series GeForce. Everyone knows that. Well, everyone except you, hemmy.

I suggest you start reading some reviews. Almost every review on the GeForce6 or GeForce 7-Series points this out.

And probably you don`t see any shimmering on your 6800 because either it`s your first graphics card, you never had an FX card, or you just simply weren`t paying attention and maybe thought that it is normal. Or maybe you don`t want to see it.

This is a very serious and important discussion, so please do your homework and make your own research ( at least read some reviews, try some games and read carefully what others have posted ) before posting.

Thank you!

15. AMD4Life

AMD4Life Guest

GPU:
    NV GTX 980 TI 6GB
    I've seen much shimmering since I bought my 6800GT back in December, with little improvements on any driver. Here is a good article I found earlier today discussing this issue:

http://www.3dcenter.org/artikel/g70_flimmern/index_e.php

The GeForce 6 and 7 series cards do in fact have bad shimmering issues, and the FX cards actually have better filtering.

16. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
    Seems to be some confusion about Anistropic Filtering and AF tri/bi linear filtering. The fx5900 cards had a much higher Quality AF implementation than any cards from ATi and Nvidia. The problem was with their AF tri/bi filtering which was heavily optimized. But they had an Angle Independant AF implementation. It looks better, but also suffers from a much larger performance hit.

But with the Nv4x and G70, they've optimized not only AF filtering, but also AF itself with an Angle Depenadancy optimization(better performance). Similar to what ATi uses with it's AF angle Dependancy(better performance). The real issue with Nvidia cards that use angle dependant AF is that they apparently have not been able to get the same Quality as ATi with it's Angle Dependant Af approach. But ATi has been using an Angle Dependant AF implementation a lot longer than Nvidia so.....

Also, there is currently a bug in the drivers that affect IQ settings and game profiles. If you want to run with all optimizations disabled, you have to set it in the glodal settings. Per game settings of HQ settings will be overrided by quality instead.

Nvidia has already said they are aware of the issue and fixing it along with the shimmering. Lets see what they can do.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  17. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
  18. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX465 1Gb Dual Fan
    Shimmering

Okay,

I know this thread is big, but I've done some significant testing in regards to shimmering on the following cards:

1) Inno3d GeForce 6800 GT (128Mb)
    2) Gainward 4800 SE (64Mb)
    3) Radeon 9800 PRO

I would first like to point out I dont get ANY shimmering on all three cards on any games except GTA SA.

A good way to check on SA is to walk out onto grove street and walk down the street check the tiles on the top of the building just past the bridge and you will see the aledges moire and shimmering effect.

All _three_ cards experienced moire and shimmering. Although it was clearer on the GeForce 6800. For the nvidia cards I used the following two drivers to test:

1) 77.77
    2) 66.93

And for the Radeon I used:

1) Cat 5.8
    2) Cat 5.4

So inlight of the tests (none of the drivers made a difference) I'm not convinced that the shimmering in SA maybe a valid test. I've tried numerious driver settings and in game settings on all three cards and they all appear to shimmer in SA. Any throughts?

Zooze

19. FE4R

FE4R Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4850 512MB
  20. XmodifierS

XmodifierS Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
    Yikes just posted that. I made sure noone posted taht yet. Eek. missed this one. Kinda sucks though after reading that.