6600GT has too much shimmering!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by raul100, Jun 18, 2005.

1. raul100

raul100 Member

Hi guys.

(sorry may bad inglish)

Don't you think 6600GT has too much shimmering and a moire? (Even in Ultra Quality...)

Is this a driver problem? (I'm using 77.62)

I had a 9800pro before buying a 6600GT. In my opinion 9800pro has a much better AA and AF filter than 6600GT, especially with optimizations on.

2. SGLC

SGLC Member

GPU:
    XFX6600GT 256mb DDR3
    No I disagree
    No problems with the 6600GT here
    May even upgrade to a 6800GT - in 6 months or so

[​IMG]

3. computerdude

computerdude Guest

Mine is fine just try other drivers too see if that helps,

4. Klementh

Klementh Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    The anisotropyc sample optimization causes shimmering in some games like Flatout. Try disabling it for the games in which you are experiencing this problem.

5. raul100

raul100 Member

6. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
  7. raul100

raul100 Member

8. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
  9. raul100

raul100 Member

I've tried many driver.

I'm almost giving up

10. Maurivillas

Maurivillas Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 Windforce 3x
    Hi, Raul.

Belês, velho?

I've read your posts in Brazilian forums and haven't noticed those shimmerings you've been talking about - although I haven't been playing many games lately.

Hope you can solve your problems here, and if I see something or a solution, I'll let you know.

Até ;)

11. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    That is just the level of anisotropy and filtering/mipmaps. Try to disable the anisotropic optimisations that there are in the nvidia drivers. Might help. But you might also loose a couple of frames if you are woried about that. Also, it depends on the angle on which you are viewing the scene.

12. thevoid

thevoid Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek GeForce 6600GT + FX 5700
    Ooopsie!

This IS BAD...

Just tried out UT2004 with 16xAF on my 6600GT
    using 77.62 drivers... and *yes*, *the annoying
    moire pattern is there*... ( but I don`t think it is a
    driver issue... more it looks like it is an issue with the
    way textures are handled ).

Just load DM-Asbestos, and watch the "nice" moire
    pattens form on the floor-textures. Without AF it`s not
    visible though...

Come to think of it, I`ve seen even much more pronounced
    moire pattens in Doom3, but I thought it was because I
    was using modding of doom3 with an utility called 3mood D3 tweaker... but I am starting to believe it had nothing to do with it...

What I can tell you for sure it is that I did not notice anything like this with my previous card, an FX 5900XT...

Could it be a hardware flaw ???

And if it is....

uuuuuhhhhh...

( edited: I meant 77.62 - I am a bit tired )

Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  13. raul100

raul100 Member

Optimizations are desable.

14. raul100

raul100 Member

15. thevoid

thevoid Master Guru

GPU:
    Well, looks *horrible* indeed.
    And I also recall seeing these but I don`t remember they
    were so pronounced...
    ( that`s just maybe because I was not using 16x aniso )

The question is: is this only a 6600GT issue ? I don`t think so... it would mean there is different HW in the 6600GT which takes care of AF. I don`t think NV would develop different units for the 6600 and the 6800. It just does not make sense . If they want to make a cheaper parts, they just disable some pipelines and reduce frequency and/or memory bandwidth. Then is it a driver problem ? Could be... And there
    is only one way to find out... to install some older drivers and see if it happens.

Unfortunately I have absolutely no time until the end of next week, so if anyone (what do you say, raul100 ?) can test older drivers like 60 series, it would be great.

16. thevoid

thevoid Master Guru

GPU:
    Well, looks *horrible* indeed.
    And I also recall seeing these but I don`t remember they
    were so pronounced...
    ( that`s just maybe because I was not using 16x aniso )

The question is: is this only a 6600GT issue ? I don`t think so... it would mean there is different HW in the 6600GT which takes care of AF. I don`t think NV would develop different units for the 6600 and the 6800. It just does not make sense . If they want to make a cheaper parts, they just disable some pipelines and reduce frequency and/or memory bandwidth. Then is it a driver problem ? Could be... And there
    is only one way to find out... to install some older drivers and see if it happens.

Unfortunately I have absolutely no time until the end of next week, so if anyone (what do you say, raul100 ?) can test older drivers like 60 series, it would be great.

EDIT:

Sorry for posting twice the same thing... it was an *accident*. My network connection went down and I thought it did not submit for the first time.

Again, Sorry, Admins!

:O :O

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  17. JaBbErWoCkY

JaBbErWoCkY Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT + NV Silencer 5 @ 420/1.2
    I get this too with my 6800GT, it's almost certainly a hardware issue, I've tried so many drivers, so many settings, you won't fix it. The reason why I'm never buying nVidia again.

18. thevoid

thevoid Master Guru

GPU:
    One thing is sure, the "shimmering" or moire pattern is less visible when I force "High Quality" in the driver, but it is still there. But on the default "Quality" settings it is disturbing.

And if the 6800 cards are having this too, I am just wondering about the 7-Series GeForce 7800 ....
    ... being based on the 6-Series with just some added functional units ...

And how comes that only a few people are reporting this anomaly !??! Or that some people just don`t pay attention to these things and maybe they think it is normal ????

Does this mean that the problem is only with some of the cards or it is just some weird combination of hardware is producing this ?

I want more of you Gurus to post here and tell if you have this shimmering glitch or not ( please see the pics posted by raul100 on this thread to see what you have to look for )... try it with HL-2 or Doom3 or UnrealTournament 2004 (asbestos). ( don`t forget to force 16x anisotropic filtering in the drivers ).

19. noobie dude

noobie dude Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX 8800 GT OC 512MB
    I haven't noticed any shimmering, I'll try doom 3 since I didn't enable any anisotropy in that but I use 16x anisotropy in kotor1&2 and I don't get any shimmering.

20. noobie dude

noobie dude Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX 8800 GT OC 512MB
    I just tried and doom 3 and I haven't gotten any shimmering. interestingly, with 16x af I only got 3 fps lower in the timedemo. I thought it would be a bigger performance hit.