6600 LE and SIS chipset, which drivers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by SK., Oct 11, 2008.

1. SK.

SK. New Member

GPU:
    6600 LE 256 MB
    Hi Everyone,
    this might look a bit like a blast from the past, but bear with me ;)
    I´ve got a P4 Prescott 3Ghz and wanted to install a 6600 LE in that machine (yes, I know it´s not great, but it´s the best I have to spare right now).
    After plugging the card in, installing 178.13 drivers and testing, I noticed artifacts in 3DMark05. I googled and found a lot of people that had the same problems like me, having a SIS chipset and getting artifacts with 6600 class cards. I tried all those proposed solutions, like disabling write combining, setting to AGP 4X, installing latest SIS AGP drivers etc. , to no avail.
    After some hours and more searching I noticed the 67.03 drivers from 2004 have a special "SiS fix" feature. I downloaded them, drivercleaned and installed them and voilá: No more artifacts in 3DMark.
    Ok, so I googled some more and found out that 71.24 also incorporate the "SiS fix", so I have those installed now.
    Well, then I installed BF2 to see if it´s playable, to my surprise that seems to be the case. The only problem is that shadows on medium are broken, instead of shadows, I get large dark quads around objects that are supposed to have shadows.
    I strongly suspect that this is a problem cause 71.24 is too old for BF2. On the other hand, installing a new driver will probably give me back my artifacts, cause those new drivers seem to be missing the "SiS fix".
    Does anyone know which driver versions incorporate the fix or can give me further tips on how to get working shadows in BF2 and no "SiS artifacts" at the same time?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Welcome to Guru3D, SK. :D

Seems like you're stuck with either one - either the artifacts in 3DMark, or the broken shadows in BF2. I'd go with the artifacts in 3DMark. Games are more important, aren't they? ;)

3. SK.

SK. New Member

GPU:
    6600 LE 256 MB
    They sure are ;)
    I "solved" the problem by buying a used x1950GT AGP off Ebay. Might be a bit on the overkill side, but better than on the underwhelming side like the 6600LE.