6600 GT AGP is THE BEST CARD EVER RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by strangedays, Jan 1, 2005.

1. strangedays

strangedays Member

GPU:
    Geforce Ti 4200
    I have just managed to get an upgrade... yes from:

Radeon 9800 pro

ALl i can say is that i thought the card was great until i repeatedly got reminded that my molex connector wasnt plugged in... but guess what... it was... it had actually burnt out!!!!... well I managed to get a refund and get ..... a Geforce 6600 GT AGP

All i can say is that i have owned a Geforce 2 MX.. not so bad.... a Geforce 4 TI 4200... again not bad... but i wanted power so i went for a 9800 pro

well i hated the ATI experience.. it was like i was missing out on the best... i will never go that dark hallway again i love my 6600 GT and the fact that they have adapted it ti AGP so damb perfectly is amazing.

Its a BFG at 525mhz core and 1050 ram wise.. ok the ram wont go up much more that about 1200mhz but the core:

from 525mhz to 600 mhz running stable WHAT i never ever seen a card overclock so well.

Also i bought an ABIT AN7 Nvidia nforce 2 motherboard that overclocks my 2500 stable... huh??? yes stable my god what a dream.....

2. JeedaiJoe

JeedaiJoe Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 7800GS OC AGP
    lol...congrats....you have a WORKING model of the 6600GT...lol...now you've confirmed my suspision that its mainly the XFX cards that are crap, not the 6600GT as a whole

3. Intelman

Intelman Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire 4870 512MB
    Enjoy that card, I know I am!!! My eVGA is simply awesome, it just runs, and that is what it should do! BTW, it over clocks to around 1.2Ghz just fine!

4. Tarkan2467

Tarkan2467 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    Wow, so there ARE working models of the 6600GT! That is good news. I wonder why XFX's models are so bad then?

5. Killgore

Killgore Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800 GTX
    That is great news, I'm glad you are happy with what you got!

Wish I hadn't bought this damn XFX 6600 GT, otherwise I might be a happy camper like yourself.

6. PHOTOSHOP KID

PHOTOSHOP KID Member Guru

GPU:
    POWERCOLOR 4850 512MB
    Just thought i would chip in here, i bought a xfx 6600 gt just before xmas, and it is superb, no problems at all with 71.20 drivers, it`s the best card i have ever owned

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I'm quite happy with my XFX 6600gt AGP. In the few days I've had it, it hasnt stumbled nor overheated, nor shown artifacts or messed up textures - it just ran perfectly. I've got Far Cry at the highest settings and its simply breathtaking.

Bear in mind that XFX has sold the most 6600gt's because they were the first on the market with it. So even if other manufacturers had the same proportion of problems, the XFX would still appear to have the most problems on that basis alone.

I've got the 2nd revision of the card with the new chrome-plate HSF. Whether that suggests that it was to fix earlier problems with it, I dont know... could be.

8. Damnit

Damnit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6700XT
    How much did it cost?

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    $229. Probably less now.

10. Tarkan2467

Tarkan2467 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    Is this the PCI-Express or AGP model? AFAIK only the AGP XFX 6600GTs are having this problem.

11. Darkfalz

Darkfalz Guest

I really want to pick up an ASUS 6600 GT AGP, but a few things right now are stopping me

* My FX 5700 is only a year old and I'm sort of attached to it.
    * No more molex connectors, I'll have to use a splitter and apparantly you aren't meant to (my 5700 requires no molex, that's kinda why I like it).
    * My 250 Watt PSU might not be able to handle it, meaning a PSU upgrade as well
    * I like ASUS cards but what about that overclocking bug nonsense?
    * NVIDIA driver support of late has left me fairly bitter about NVIDIA in general... waited 6 months or whatever it was for new official drivers and they are buggy as hell on my 5700, and nothing since.

Besides, other than Doom 3 there's nothing that really needs it. I'm back into my Dreamcast now actually...

12. Great Satan

Great Satan Guest

I have MSI 6600AGP GT and it sucks, artifact and tears on all D3D games, OpenGL is fine though..I wish it did run though, If you believe every online review on these cards..you would think they all run perfect. No mention ever of any problems which obviously there are..
    So if you got one that runs good, Excellent.. But to all of us who don't, please don't brag..that hurts...lol

13. metalstorm

metalstorm Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx6600gt agp 598/1174
    my xfx runs perfectly from day 1, o/c at 580/1160 3dmark 2003 8540 gpu temp range 40 -60 no artifacts ever.
    for those with problems why havent you returned them ? get what you paid for,a good working card ! do it dudes ! even if its fine on your mates pc or the shops pc, it doesnt say" this video card is not compatible with a xxm/b" on the box does it , so its the manufacturers fault !!!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  14. Lex Peters

Lex Peters Guest

Guys,

I have the AGP XFX6600GT 128 running with no problems at all ! Had problems but upgraded my MOBO AGP drivers. Ran the driver removal tool and installed the modified 71.20c driver from Vallance.

All the best!

15. sevenTata

sevenTata Member

GPU:
    Leadtek GeForce 6800LE 128 Unlocked to 16 Pipeline
    what website do u go to get cards like this ??

16. strangedays

strangedays Member

GPU:
    Geforce Ti 4200
    I bought a BFG 6600 GT AGP version it was in a sale for only 99 UK pounds... that was even cheaper than my Geforce 4 TI 4200 when it came out. Its got copper heatsinks and never goes much above 50 C ...

Overall Half life 2 runs wildly at 1280x1024 with 2x antialiasing and 16x anisotrophic i get average of about 80 FPS... dipping to about 60fps in the detailed areas, going up and over 150fps in the less complex... its stunning and cheap.

I have to say though the BFG is a fantastic card i was never much of a fan of their other cards but this has been made sweet. If you have any other card other than a 6xxx series then this is worth getting.. even a 5950 is a lot slower!!! This card is just smooooooth!

And if you have a radeon, when it dies on you buy one of these! Simple.

17. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Strangedays, I would like to know how you got the average fps that you get in Half Life 2. I have a Geforce 6800 which runs faster than the 6600GT and my processor is a XP2200+ that is running at 2080Mhz.

Did you use a modded autoexec?

Joe

18. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    I am also very happy with mine:)

19. gotkookie

gotkookie Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY Geforce 6800GT @ 360/1100
    My card ckicks yours ass!!!!!11one!1!

20. Lex Peters

Lex Peters Guest

ManofGod.
    My fps in HL2 is about the same with my XFX6600GT card. I found some mods for the autoexec.cfg file in the HL2 section of the Valve forum that works really well.

Lex