60Hz OpenGL fix in place, manual way

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by trodas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9100 250/200MHz
    Hi guys. Much to my dismay, this old bug is still present into many drivers even todays. A good example could be the DHzer0point_84.66.exe ones I use and I did not consider updating them, since they are pretty good for my aging 6800GS.
    Anyway.
    The question for this thread is - can someone tell me, HOW to fix this refreshrate bug by myself and INTO the monitor file in windows directly?

Why not just use the ReForce 1.10 utility, you say?

Because if I do so, the I can't play BF2 anymore. BF2 seems to be somewhat locked on the monitor fire or what the hell the ReForce change, and then REFUSE to work with the new one. Restoring the defaults make BF2 work again. But that suxx.

So, anyone up to the task? Don't tell me, that this is NOT possible. I modified many even exe files before, so I will not stop at anything :) The good news is, that all I want is to modify only the 1024x768 resolution to be at 100Hz and not at 60Hz.

My XVI32.exe editor is waiting :D

2. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    Okay, hmmm. It looks like I should be able to do it all in the registers, just playing with the...
    NV_CustModes
    and
    NV_Modes
    ...values, right?

But first how to translate THIS:
    Code:
    "NV_CustModes"=hex:7b,00,2a,00,7d,00,53,00,48,00,56,00,20,00,35,00,37,00,36,00,\
      78,00,34,00,33,00,32,00,78,00,33,00,32,00,3d,00,38,00,3b,00,37,00,32,00,30,\
      00,78,00,35,00,34,00,30,00,78,00,33,00,32,00,3d,00,32,00,30,00,3b,00,38,00,\
      35,00,36,00,78,00,36,00,34,00,32,00,78,00,33,00,32,00,3d,00,32,00,30,00,3b,\
    ...into something man can read and edit? :) Like it is shown in the regedit?

And if I understand it right, I could also remove resolutions from the NV_Modes I did not want at all, I'm right?

3. El1iP3S01D

El1iP3S01D Member

GPU:
    nvidia 880 gtx in SLI
  4. Necronaught

Necronaught Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 280 - 180.60
    Go into Mydocuments/BF2/profiles/deafult and open video file with notepad. mine looks like this:-

VideoSettings.setTerrainQuality 3
    VideoSettings.setGeometryQuality 3
    VideoSettings.setLightingQuality 3
    VideoSettings.setDynamicLightingQuality 3
    VideoSettings.setDynamicShadowsQuality 3
    VideoSettings.setEffectsQuality 3
    VideoSettings.setTextureQuality 3
    VideoSettings.setTextureFilteringQuality 3
    VideoSettings.setResolution 1280x960@75Hz
    VideoSettings.setAntialiasing Off
    VideoSettings.setViewDistanceScale 1
    VideoSettings.setVideoOptionScheme 3

your video setting prolly read 60 hz change it to what you used for refreshforce (100hz) and it will play.

I use refreshforce and this is what solved my problem :)

I was pulling my hair out as I double clicked the shortcut and BF2 would load up then crash to desktop just before the splash screen.

let me know how you get on the above also applies to BF2142 as well.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007

5. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Still using CRT, are you?

6. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    El1iP3S01D - nah, sorry, this is a different issue, no help at all. But regarding the nVnews, I find something very interesting there:
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-3207.html
    ...and mainly this guide:
    http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/40.41/NVCompMode_UG_20.pdf
    ...should be helpfull.

Necronaught - No, that can't work. You does not know or understand. BF2 is a DirectX application and the problem, after using ReForce (or WHEN using ReForce AFTER installing BF2 to be more precise), is that the game does NOT start at all, always silently exit back to windows. The only way to make it work is to force it run, slow but run, in window. But even when THERE you set the desired FULLSCREEN resolution, even THEN it does not work as soon, as you remove the commandline parameter that force BF2 to use window...

So the problem with BF2 is not the refreshrate of it. It simply stop working as long, as I did not restore the ReForce settings using ReForce again.

But that, of course, set back the 60Hz for all OpenGL games...

And I always wanted to get rid of MANY resolutions I did not like/want (I still add few my own ones, but that is beside the point), so if I can do that in the NV_Modes (and it looks like I should be able to do it) I will not stop at anything till I do it :D

bug77 - yes, perfect for games and movies, nice depth of image, colors, refresh 100Hz. Can't beat that with LCD.

7. 69sabb

69sabb Banned

http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rl/

this is what u want

and yes crt look better then lcd

p.s it even works in vista too (just have to manually start it in vista),if u use that crappy OS

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  8. Necronaught

Necronaught Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 280 - 180.60
    After using refresh force I couldn't start BF2 and by changing the refresh rate in the BF2 folder to 75 I was able to play again. I lock my refresh rate at 75 so my LCD display can be used for movies. Yes at native (1680x1050) res its only 60hz but lower resolutions it can handle 75. I use this so I don't get the out of range message.

If I am wrong then how did BF2 not start after using Refreshforce? and how did I fix the problem if what I say is wrong?

9. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    69sabb - sorry, while I entierly agree with you on the Vista-suxx thing, and CRT being much better because it can refresh the screen 100x per second w/o ghosts and has a nice depth of colors, not to mention clarity...

...I stated many times that I know what ReForce it, that I use it, but I also stated reasons why I can't use it this time and why I looking for manual fix. And I would also like to know, HOW to remove resolutions I did not want, so... that is what I'm after ;)

Necronaught - oh well, here we go again. Let me demonstrate how much you are wrong:

Okay, just for you I run ReForce and OpenGL games are in 100Hz now. And BF2 always silently exit to windows. I change the Video.con line from:
    VideoSettings.setResolution 1024x768@100Hz
    to
    VideoSettings.setResolution 1024x768@75Hz
    ...and absolutely nothing changed. Besides, I would like to use 100Hz refresh anyway...

I never contradicted you on the BF2 not start after using ReForce IF ReForce is used AFTER BF2 is installed. What are you trying to spin there?

How did you fix the problem is complete mystery for me, and I would be very interesed in hearing, how made the BF2 to work. Obviously, all attempts to modify the file failed. I tried 60, 75 and 100Hz (not touch a thing at first) and in all cases, BF2 quietly exit back to windows.
    Hence I say you are wrong, when you trying to say that this ughly nasty BF2 bug can be fixed by tweaking with the refresh value in the file. It can't. Or at lest for sure not that easily.

I also tried modify the videodefault.con file in Battlefield 2/mods/bf2/Settings by changing the renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0 to 1. No change. Then I tried adding this line into the video.con, but it did not do a thing...

Hence you are wrong.

10. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    Necronaught - hey, what about some solution to make the BF2 run again and do not force me to remove the ReForce settings? :)
    Come on, prove me wrong! I would love to...! :D

11. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    You are on the right track with editing Battlefield 2/mods/bf2/Settings by changing the "renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0" to 1 and "VideoSettings.setResolution 1280x960@75Hz" (or whatever resolution andrefresh) you want. You are editing the wrong file however.

What you want to do is still edit "renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0" to 1 and edit "VideoSettings.setResolution" in Mydocuments/BF2/profiles/001 (or maybe it's 003, don't have BF2 installed anymore). Mydocuments/BF2/profiles/default is the default settings, so you want to edit either 001, 002 or 003, as one of them will be your profile.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  12. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    Well, I hope I'm on the right track, however still pretty far from any solution.

Current situation. File VideoDefault.con in Battlefield 2/mods/bf2/Settings does contain this:
    renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 1

File Video.con in Documents/Battlefield 2/Profiles/0001 does contain this:
    VideoSettings.setResolution 1024x768@100Hz
    VideoSettings.setAntialiasing Off
    VideoSettings.setViewDistanceScale 1
    VideoSettings.setVideoOptionScheme 3

...and quess what. No BF2 :(
    (there is only default and 0001 directory, I did not need 10 000 nicks there, hehe)

So as you can see and as I claimed already, BF2 can't be made to run after ReForce. But IF ReForce is applied before BF2, then things working just perfectly. I heard that the problem is, that BF2 always want to start with 800x600@60Hz and if that resolution is not awailable, it fail miserably. I have no idea how it manage to do that when ReForce is forcing 100Hz, but that is for OpenGL, while this is a DX app and it probably can set any rate it want...

Regardless of BF2, I still want manualy remove some resolutions :)
    /of course I need to fix the BF2 also, it kind of suxx need to remove all ReForce settings and reboot to be able to play BF2 as well, as to apply ReForce settings and reboot to be able to play OpenGL games in decent 100Hz refresh and not with eye-killing 60Hz witch also does not allow enough frames to be drawn on screen to make the game looks smooth/

13. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    No solution?
    Where is the user Necronaught with some help? :D
    Time to PM him :)

And no-one else know how to fix this problem? Once again, after I reinstalled my Windows 2000 SP4, everything was working. OpenGL games run in 100Hz as specified by nVidia panel and I was using DHzer0point_84.66 drivers. Then I installed BF2. Then all OpenGL application start running at 60Hz. So I applied ReForce 1.10 to get them back at 100Hz. That worked well, BF2 did not work, tough. Always sillently exited back to Windows. "+fullscreen 0" option make it work, but in window = slow, buggy, menus shifted and so on... Useless.
    So I reinstalled BF2 and quess what. NO CHANGE AT ALL!

Now if that does not suxx, then I don't know what suxx... :(

Any help will be much appreciated.

14. Klementh

Klementh Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    Try this.
    First use RefreshForce, then go to the 'DirectX Diagnostic Tool' (dxdiag in 'Start' > 'Run') and in the 'More Help' tab click 'Override' and override the value to 100... OK, Exit, start the game.

15. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    Not helping. The only one way to fix the BF2 (eg. to make it work) is to leave the 800 x 600 resolution at refreshrate of 60Hz. Nothing else helps, nothing else fix anything. But as long, as 800 x 600 is in 60Hz, things work - regardless of any other settings or BF2 actuall resiolution and refresh.
    The 800 x 600 in 60Hz is hardcoded to the game - what a shame!
    The only way to fix this is probably PATCH the game, however that will PB surelly detect as cheating attempt and kick me off online server right away...

16. Garak

Garak Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 280 GTX OC
    Wow necropost... your still using a crt today?

Anyways back when I had a crt years ago I had that problem too but I know I fixed it and had BF2 running with reforce just fine. Pretty sure all I had to do was change one setting, think the allowallrefreshrates one. Maybe a differnet one tho, google it.

Tho perhaps recent updates to the game/drivers have broken that, who knows.

17. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    I think it was working all well at one point too (it was possible to have 800x600 in 100hz AFTER the BF2 install and configure), but probably the updates broke it. 800x600 must be in 60Hz, or the game won't start now :(

I think I want my money back. No-one said that I must have certaing resolutions in certain refreshrates when I wanted to play BF2!