60fps or 30..can you see the difference?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by F1refly, Mar 12, 2006.

1. icywind32

icywind32 Master Guru

GPU:
    ati 6970 2gb
    i can tell the difference right off the bat wit 30 & 60 fps when the blocks come together right where its closest to you i can see that the 30 fps has this lil lag where the 2 look like seperate boxes. well anyway 60 fps is good and all anything lower than 40 is gay for me but anything higher than 90 is worthless cuz the human eye cant see past 90 fps

2. Khenglish

Khenglish Master Guru

GPU:
    external GTX 580
    Lol I can't believe I used to play games at an average of15fps with my 64mb 4200. I could tolerate anything 10+, and back then I would completely dominate at any fps I played.

3. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    60 "feels" soooo much smoother.... 30 feels choppy... slow to respond... Just IMO.

4. wsskappa

wsskappa Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870
    Looked exactly the same except i did notice 30 fps slagged behind a little bit..but smooth anyways.

5. MasterBash

MasterBash Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    That thing has a 200fps limit that sux

6. meatfestival92

meatfestival92 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 9800 GTX @ 815/2078/1180
    why, do you have a screen that can refresh faster than 200hz?

7. MasterBash

MasterBash Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    no but still, i can see the difference as long as they're both different numbers and i can compare them side by side.

8. BryanStramer

BryanStramer Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 6800XT
    I can tell up to 70 fps. A lot of people don't believe that I can tell a difference, but I can. Most people I know can't see much above 30 fps.

My goal in games is usually 70+ fps.

9. UNREAL_2004

UNREAL_2004 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 & G12+H55
    In fps games i need 49-45fps to aim well.....

10. meatfestival92

meatfestival92 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 9800 GTX @ 815/2078/1180
    what's the point in that though? there wouldn't be anything to compare if you're rendering frames faster than your monitor can display them (except for some tearing if vsync is off)

11. Woodmasterfox

Woodmasterfox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    I honestly cant tell the difference between the 2 except where they don't meet up in the middle a little bit.

I would like to see a test where it doesn't show you the fps you are getting on each side. I just have a hunch a lot of people wouldn't be saying "OH I CAN TELL RIGHT AWAY".

12. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 6800GT, OCed
    I can.

On most machines the mouse is more responsive when you have 50+ frames than it is when the frames are around 30/sec.

I find that many games tend to get annoyingly jerky when the frames are coming at thirty per second...

But I do know that there isn't much diff when running two demos with no user input. The human eye can not refresh fast enough to make a difference.

It's just that higher frames make the gaming experience much smoother, almost glasslike, for me.

YMMV!!

13. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    I can tell the difference between 60 and 75. I play with vSync on, and with my refresh rate at 75 hz. Though, I recently upgraded to 6.3's and I forgot to force 75hz again, and my games defaulted to 60hz. At first, I couldn't figure out what was wrong (as I had disabled fraps)... it simply didn't feel right.. then I enabled fraps to check if my fps was dipping but it was stuck at 60. Even then, it didn't hit me for a few hours to change my refresh rate back to 75.

14. dr jonz

dr jonz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x HIS Radeon 7970 Ghz
    typically i need at least 25fps just to play, 15 is bare minimum (but used to it because of my old system) but when its 45-50 fps, i rarely pick up on it, except for perhaps unreal tournament 2004 or serious sam that's just frantically paced most of the time. but to be honest 55fps is probably the best i could notice.

EDIT -- when i ran that program the last interval i could tell a difference between was from 70-75fps, after that i couldn't tell a difference per intervals of 5.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  15. MasterBash

MasterBash Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    About the mouse being responsive I know that for sure, except in Counter-Strike: Source... it seems no matter what your fps is (mine being 100), i still get choppy mouse movements? compared to cs 1.6, 100 is really smooth... I don't think it has to do with the fps in source does it?

16. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek AMD HD7850
    i understand the program hasn't been seen before, but this topic has been brought up so many times. The human eye CAN see above 30fps.

The myth that the human eye maxes out at 30fps comes from the fact that our TV producing 30fps, and it looks perfectly smooth. The reason it does is because films are recorded with motion blur. These motion blurred images smoothes the transitions and fools our eyes.

http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html
    http://www.overdrivepc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7565

FPShooter games on the other hand have no motion blur. Using it would greatly ruin our accuracy. Only choice is to increase FPSec.

quote XRC6: must suck to have such sensitive eyes...
    Actually, it doesn't suck at all. Its like, feeling bad for people who can tell the difference between 256colors and 16bit.

17. CALIGULA

CALIGULA Guest

yes i do..just turn off your Vsync and you can go over 200fps. :D
    my monitor is an LCD and max refresh is 75hz and i see 200fps spikes
    without Vsync. lmao

18. SamHughe

SamHughe Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX (SLI)
    Can't tell the difference. Maybe it is the benchmark. In the games the difference should be more noticable though.

Sam

19. BlueDragonXP

BlueDragonXP Guest

30 fps is good but 40-60fps is my sweet spot.

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i noticed even if both sides are only 2fps different, theres what looks like at the line in center to be a lag regardless of fps used, could be a bug or something...try it with both sides exactly same fps.

that anology doesnt quite make sense...its more like it sucks to notice lag at lower fps just like it sucks to go from 16bit to 256

so if were both playing at say 30fps and your frustrated cuz you see lag and its not bothering me at all then that would suck to be you then woulndnt it