600Ti on Q9450 bottleneck?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by SinghKing, Oct 12, 2012.

1. SinghKing

SinghKing Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1GB
    660Ti on Q9450 bottleneck?

Hi,

Im thinking about upgrading, currently having a 9800GTX+ to a 660Ti.
    Would a 660Ti cause bottlenecking on the current processor which is a Intel Q9450 2.66Ghz?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  2. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    I think it would be fine.

My son has a GTX 570 running with an overclocked Q9450 @ 3.6 ghz and it performs surprisingly well.

3. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    at 2.66 ghz, yes you will experience bottlenecking definitely. q9450's are really good overclockers. you can get them up to 3.6 ghz relatively easily. do some reasearch on that if you are new to this.

I would go for at least 3.0ghz. you will still be bottlenecked, but unless you are super sensitive to sub 60fps, you will not notice the bottleneck that much in the majority of titles.

4. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Depends on the game. Some games will be able to fully utilize the GPU, but any CPU intensive game or scenario will not. Overclocking is a good idea but will not remove the risk of bottlenecking. Even so, I wouldn't worry because going from 9800gtx+ to 660 ti is a huge upgrade. Upgrade the CPU to haswell in 2013.

5. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    As long as you can get that CPU to >3ghz, you should be fine with a GTX660 Ti. Heck, my 2nd rig has an FX8120 @3.7ghz + 2x GTX670 I am sure as heck the CPU is a major bottleneck, but as long as it can keep framerate playable, the extra headroom on the GPUs allow me to max all ingame setting.

6. MfA

MfA Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
    it's fine for 60Hz.. you need better one beyond that..

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Singh Is King :D

Go for it....

8. SinghKing

SinghKing Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1GB
    Indeed :D

Thanks for the replies, the reason why I asked is because the age is starting to show.
    Games like Guildwars 2 runs like crap, struggles at med/low settings too.
    The two options I have would be to keep the current card for another year and do a complete upgrade to haswell OR if I get the graphics card now, when I do upgrade next year to haswell, then I can just keep the 660Ti

9. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Option two is the way to go, get the 660ti now and you’ll have a huge improvement in both graphics IQ and performance. Then when you have the money saved to upgrade the rest of the system and can unleash all the performance the 660 has to offer, it’ll be like another graphics upgrade.

This is how I generally upgrade my system too – keep upgrading the GPU until the system can’t maintain a minimum of 60 fps (system limited), then replace the CPU, RAM and MB; when I have to start lowering IQ settings to maintain a minimum of 60 fps I now it’s time to upgrade the graphics card... like I said, generally, monitor your CPU and GPU usage to know what needs to be upgraded depending on the games you play and your preferred resolution.

...that q9450 is just bagging to be overclocked :thumbup:

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Q9450 is begging to be replaced!

Outdated hardware, poor 660 will be bottlenecked from everywhere...

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^This is how I usually do my upgrades also....

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    My 480 is bottlenecked by my qx9650 at 4ghz. Put the same card in my main rig and it like a free gpu upgrade

13. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified

Yeah but... no point upgrading the q9450 now with Haswell nearing and from the sounds of it, this is what the OP plans on upgrading to.

No question about it, the 660 will be bottlenecked in many situations but it is still a worthwhile upgrade coming from a 9800. I think the q9450 can still hold its own with a single card at a resolution of 1080, especially once overclocked (at the very least... it will help).

As the OP stated, option one means no upgrades for a year, whereas option two offers better IQ options and performance in GPU intensive games which should make the wait time more enjoyable.

My thoughts anyway.