6000+ stock fan so loooooud...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by ComradeF, Jul 21, 2007.

1. ComradeF

ComradeF Member

GPU:
    BFG / GeForce 7900 GT / DDR3 256 MB
    I realize there is a similar thread discussing the best fan for the 6000+, but I am asking for the quietest fan instead. Because seriously -- this thing sounds like a jet engine even with Cool 'n Quiet. I'm sure it's doing a great job in there but there has to be a better alternative, especially since I'm not overclocking.

I've looked around and read a bit on replacement fans, but I don't feel comfortable enough to make a decision yet. I've never used non-stock cooling on my CPUs, but I think it's time to start. So I have a couple questions...

1. The obvious... please point me to some nice, quiet, effective fans for the AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (AM2 socket). Reading product descriptions and reviews just isn't giving me the full picture -- I want interaction. =P

2. So, I've got a new cooling solution in my hand. What's the best way to clean the stock goop off my CPU? Do I need to replace it with Arctic Silver?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  2. surrealX

surrealX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I used some cotton swabs and a little bit of alcohol to remove that goop from my old heatsink and processor then apply the AS5.

Some quiet CPU coolers are Thermalright Ultra 120/EXTREME, Zalman CNPS9500 AM2, Tuniq Tower 120.

I personally have a Zalman but wish I would have probably spent my money on a Tuniq Tower 120 or Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme.

3. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    An Arctic Cooling FreezerPro 64 is a good alternative and it incorporates the AMD mounting design...a tension lever. Easy to install, no need for a back plate or replacement board retainer.

4. Æther Tech

Æther Tech Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 9600GT(OC:750/2k/2k

5. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    whats the temps like with this cooler ? , it says upto a64 5000 on the ac website

6. TylerTron21

TylerTron21 Guest

jsut to add.
    turn off ur cool & quite. its eww.

now find something in bios called hardware moniter, etc.

now fine cpu fan speed, controll or something. mess with it.

it makes all the difference in the world. cause ur is running wide open at 100%.

works for any fan/cooler too.

7. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    Rather than process a new picture of the temp monitors, I'm using this last one. Note that these temps are based on a 78 degree F environment.

[​IMG]

8. ComradeF

ComradeF Member

GPU:
    Thank you for the suggestions/advice!

Before spending money on a fan though, I decided to give Goteenz's idea a shot. Lo and behold, the fan -was- at ~6000 RPM, 100% speed. Wow. No wonder.

I killed Cool 'n Quiet, then noticed Q-Fan controls in the BIOS. The CPU fan has profile controls, and one of them is called Silent. I applied that, gave it a reboot, and ... where's the fan? ;)

So I think the stock may work out! Only one concern, though. Am I running too hot? It's -all- brand new with stock settings. Nothing special going on here. I guess the chip is just a monster...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  9. surrealX

surrealX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    That CPU is looking pretty hot. It's probably at like 55C

10. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200

11. ComradeF

ComradeF Member

GPU:
    Those 0 RPM readings are wrong. SpeedFan isn't picking up the two fans it ought to be reading... CPU and chassis-back.

I had to do some funny business to get CoreTemp to work, but the results are Core 1 at ~58 and Core 2 at ~52.

12. surrealX

surrealX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    You're running your fan way too low. Try to run it in the middle. IE: 2000RPM Highest MAX, 1000RPM Lowest, run it at about 1500RPM's.

13. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    What HS are you using? Your temps are way too high. How warm is your environment?

14. ComradeF

ComradeF Member

GPU:
    Stock heatsink, stock everything. And my environment, unfortunately, can get pretty warm at times. Texas isn't known for its pleasant summers. In my room it can probably be 84 °F at the worst, and 76 °F at the best... (though I notice you've got about the same environment).

I have the CPU fan running at full blast right now (alias jet engine) and it's only knocked 4 °C off each core. Doesn't seem worth it. SpeedFan, for example, still complains that they're too hot.

15. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    i'm also using a Zalman CNPS9500AM2. nice fan... but i'm sure you can get nicer, and probably quieter. They also have the CNPS9700AM2 out now that uses i believe a 110mm fan instead of a 92mm fan.... might cut down even more on noise. but then again with CNPS's you don't have a choice in fan. getting something like the Tuniq Tower or Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme gives you the option of using any standard fan you want.... whether you want quiet, or loud/high airflow. plus the heatpipe setup is better. never figured out how much a heatpipe can help going from the bottom of a small heatsink... to the top of the same heatsink, all within 2 inches of the processor anyway.

16. ComradeF

ComradeF Member

GPU:
    Hm. I plugged in my front chassis fan as well, put the CPU fan profile back on Silent, and as a result...

[​IMG]

Still not ideal I guess, but tons better! And I don't really hear any extra noise. Big fan. :)

17. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    Something to do with those Asus boards. I have a P5ND2-SLI board that I installed a PD 805 in with a Thermaltake Jungle512 and the temps hover at 50C.

That same CPU installed in my GigaByte board with the same HS hovers around 24 - 26C.

Every CPU I put in this Asus will cook a nice steak at the appropriate time.

18. ComradeF

ComradeF Member

GPU:
    Holy crap. I didn't realize it was so drastic. Wonder what's up with ASUS boards?

I'm not having any horrible crashes though... well, just the occasional BlueScreens courtesy of the fledgling Vista x64... so I guess even though it's running hot, I'll survive.

If I get spooked though I'm going to buy one of the suggested fans. ;)

19. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    Something to do with unnecessarily increased BIOS values and the way the system interacts with the BIOS.

20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    never had a temp reporting issue with my M2N-SLI Deluxe.....