600 series pricing

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Moonbogg, May 13, 2012.

1. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    Here is my take on the whole gtx 600 lineup. Most of it is already known, but people don't see Nvidia's strategy which is obvious. They release the mid range chip and call it a high end and charge $500.00. People buy it at this price, and as planned, it runs out of stock since they didn't make that many for a reason. This reason is they know the gtx 670 makes the gtx 680 obsolete. The 680 was only there to put the $500.00 price in people's heads.
    Next they release the gtx 690 for a ludicris $1,000.00. As planned, its out of stock as its sole purpose really was to put $1,000.00 into people's heads for this level of performance, although a few might still be available now and then, but not many for the stated reasons since now you'd have to be an idiot to buy one and you should be vomiting if you already have one.
    Next, they release basically the same gtx 680 at $400.00 Now people think, "LOOK how CHEAP it is NOW!" and they can't wait to spend this high price for a mid range, especially since they can now get $1,000.00 performance for $800.00. It seems like a bargain but its a complete ripoff. When GK110 hits, they can classify it as an unusually high end card and charge $700.00 for it. The end result is an entire lineup that is way more expensive than any other in history, and people will pay their money and thank them for it as they laugh all the way to the bank.

Personally, I will be patient and watch the dust settle from this launch. Prices will fall at some point and with the whole lineup infront of me I can make the best choice. Right now any purchase will be guarenteed to result in buyer's remorse in the near future.

2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    So what your trying to say (if I'm interpreting this right) is that they are trying to inflate the price of gpu's by releasing cards eg: a mid range at what would normally be a price reserved for a high end gpu, sort of like they're trying to make a new price bracket for mid range and upwards, again eg:NZ$750+ for mid range now (gtx670) compared to the gtx570s ptag of NZ$500+.

So your reckon the gtx770 will NZ$850+ an so on an so on.

If so then i agree 100% coz for the performance I'm seeing, these price tags are a joke an until a mid range card priced at NZ$500 can play metro maxed out with a min fps of 60 then AMD and Nvidia can go stick a couple of billion transistors up their arse, I'm sticking with my 580s until there are games that are worth upgrading for and not just for graphics.

I only play on pc for the higher rez, AA, and framerate (60fps min) and to tinker with the tech. <---- I did have more to add but forgot what.

3. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    The 600 series and AMDs 7000 series are expensive yes, but they can charge that amount of money because they beat their competitors and previous gen cards. That's how it is with hardware; if it performs better it'll cost more. I thought the 28nm was cheaper to make?

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    sorry quoted you before your edit.

But it doesn't preform better it just adds 10-20 fps in some places over previous gen they baciscally just did a die shrink (which if i remember correctly they use to do this within the same gen and see the same gains that we are seeing going from 580 - 680) and people go and pay for that tiny increase, what a joke it's consumerism at its worst.

BUT but maybe Nvidia and AMD are just trying to recoup costs. as in the probs with TSMC

Last edited: May 13, 2012

5. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    I hope when the gk110 comes out the prices on gk104 will drop. They might even remain the same and the 110 will be priced even higher. I think the latter is the most likely to happen.. However I have the 670 in mind (if the prices drop). It costs the same as my 295 and is only a mid-range card. I won't pay that for a midrange...

6. Tequila

Tequila Master Guru

GPU:
    2xRTX3090 (nvLink)
    I'd be careful calling AMD and nVidia competitors - They've colluded on price fixing on at least 2 occasions and I'm fairly sure they received a large fine too.

It's been a long time since I bothered looking but did my University dissertation on GPU price fixing and economics within the IT industry.

I think the OP is bang on the money here, and what I find more disturbing is how the media outlets are eating it up and saying how god-damn awesome a card/series it is.

I miss the FX5950 Ultra days - that card put hairs on your chest.

7. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    In my opinion the GK110 sill turn out to be a GTX685. Similar to what they done with the GTX280. Whatever it turns out to be I wont buyit unless it gives a massive boost over my GTX680.

8. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    Yes this is what i'm saying. They are charging full blown high end prices for cards that don't deliver next gen high end performance. On top of that these cards were intended for the MID RANGE, and I don't mean in a GTX 470 way. These cards are the new GTX 460 and to pay $4-500 for these is nauseating. I want dual 670's but simply can't bring myself to do it. Not this time, and I am usually a sucker for new hardware. My dual 570's are doing more than fine, and I got them for about $350.00 each and they are cut down versions of a true high end part, not a mid range variant liek these new 600 series cards are.

9. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    The 600 and 7000 series prices are a bit suspicious, but I thought it was because it was new and performed better than the previous gen and all that stuff.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  10. snowdweller

snowdweller Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    I'd like to know what makes the 680/690 mid-range

11. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    If you do not understand whats going on with GPU's then it cannot really be explained to you, it is something I have been getting more angry about for years, and then purchased an Xbox and quit PC hardware.. until now when I got suckered in again.

The OP is near enough right on.

It boils down to we are getting ripped off, keeping the hardware just behind the game so we are always chasing, oh wow here comes a new GPU the FASTEST GPU ON THE PLANET BLAH BLAH yes obviously it is the latest one are they going to make it slower!? (actually they try to keep the incremental increases so fine they fall short v top last gen products sometimes in some games) oh wow look another gen of GPU's that scrap an extra 10-15 FPS over the last generation.

Here is the simplicity of it.

Gen 1 30 FPS - Premium Price

Gen 2 60FPS - Premium Price

BUT WAIT.... if we call Gen 2 Gen 3, and make a Gen 2 that gets 45FPS.. in the long term we have gained an entire product range of extra profit.

IDEAL.

Lets fk up the names to confuse evreybody, time the releases to maximize profit, and market the products aggressively.. and we are QUIDS in!

Well what a horrendous explanation that was but still, I know what I am talking about at least..

Sometimes I think it is best I keep my mouth shut because when I try to explain something it is a real mess. :bang: I KNOW whats going on that's all I can say.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    It's obvious price fixing. If what's going on now isn't proof that nVidia and AMD work together to milk as much profit out of customers as they can, then nothing is.

13. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    rofl ofc they do, anybody who thinks they do not, is totally naive, it don't matter where they conduct there co-ordination, the point is they DO.

14. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    one word: duopoly

15. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060ti
    it's all mind games... the whole thing. Personally, i try to stick to as low-end as possible while still being able to enjoy some gaming now and then. If one is smart and does his homework, one can get by on a budget. Or at least... not get totally raped.

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Lol, anyone remember Nvidia physX. I really hoped it would take off.

17. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    This would be great.

However the problem arises when you are me, I have a 1080pTV and I like it at 1080p.

I like 60FPS to match my 60hz refresh (never in a bazillion years will I get another 120hz as trying to get 120FPS on todays weak ass GPU's is next to a ridiculously impossible task)

So, my mates like, hey try skyrim on the PC.. the LOAD TIMES! so I am thinking well yeah I got 2xSSD RAID-0 so I reckon.. no more cracking one off to kill time everytime I have to enter belethors general goods on the xbox..

So, SKYRIM PC it is!

OH MAN that's opened up a can of worms...

well over £1000 later.. by the time I have finished... I got a taste of speed, and nice high FPS at 1080p..

Thats all well and good but that's when we start to encounter the problems mentioned in this thread..

Again it boils down to the fact if Nvidia and AMD were not so damned GREEDY gaming would be absolutely fantastic in 2012.

But hey, that's business.. business IS greedy.

18. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    *removed*

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    For me it´s clear Nvidia and AMD are pricing their cards too high for what they offer over the previous gen.

But they are doing this because they know enthusiasts will pay those prices and because of supply issues. Nvidia is having a hard time making the 600 series in enough numbers and if they priced the cards with lower prices they would have a serious supply problem. So they raise the price and solve partially this problem...

I still believe than when gk110 is released it will be as the gtx780 and the 680 and 670 are going to be rebranded as 760ti and 760 to complete the line up.

20. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    At the end of the day, it is not a 'utility service' they're selling (e.g. gas, water) but a product that people can and cannot decide to buy.