60 Hz issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by SergioG, Dec 26, 2003.

1. SergioG

SergioG New Member

GPU:
    6800 GS 400/500 unlocked
    Hi,

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro (using verion 3.10 of the Cat drivers) and WinXP and have a 60 Hz issue. Well sort of.

Windows starts up in my desired frequency (85 Hz, 1280*1024).

Sometimes I only startup my PC and leave my monitor switched off. If I then switch the monitor on the refresh rate is 60 Hz instead of the chosen 85 Hz using DDC information. :confused:

Does someone have an explanation for this?

Sergio.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2003
  2. starving

starving Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3D Radeon X850
    you have to use a program to get it to run at higher refreshrate in games.
    you can use refreshforce,you can find it in the file section.

3. SergioG

SergioG New Member

GPU:
    6800 GS 400/500 unlocked
    It is not a game neither a higher refresh rate issue.

If I start the PC together with the monitor, independent of the resolution or refresh rate, everything works accordingly.

The problem starts when I turn on my monitor after windows has been started. Then the refresh rate is 60 Hz by default although it has been overriden in the Cat 3.10 drivers and dxdiag.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    This is coz windows (Catalysts) set the refresh rate at startup,but if monitor is off,than Windows/Cat cannot adjust refresh rate to the offline monitor. Its kinda logical.

5. SergioG

SergioG New Member

GPU:
    6800 GS 400/500 unlocked
    I don't find it that logical as in windows, dxdiag, and in the cat drivers I override the 60 Hz refresh rate. So, to my knowledge, but I could be wrong here, the monitor should have the overriden refresh rate independent of the monitor being switched on after Windows has been booted.
    Atleast this was the case with my older system (GF2).

To me this has something to do with the cat drivers. But then again, I could be wrong.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2003
  6. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Forcing refresh rate means low level messing with monitor. And since this is done at startup,you cannot force refresh to a offline monitor. Its like you wanted to play a game,but your PC is turned off.
    You can use RivaTuner to force refresh rate after startup and when you turn your monitor on. The only thing is that RT must run in systrey for refresh force to work.

7. SergioG

SergioG New Member

GPU:
    6800 GS 400/500 unlocked
    Ok, thanks for your answers.