5970 Quadfire

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Andypandy1991, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    NO cpu isn't very important @ high res or gpu bound games like metro maxed out.

2. Andypandy1991

Andypandy1991 Master Guru

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY
    Now what do i do:(?
    Do i flash my cards?

3. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    .dont flash unless they are watercooled at least one should be WC and the other on the bottom. I had one on top WC and the bottom one air I could run both @ 5870 speed no problem.

4. hunuok

hunuok Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX480 Tri SLI
    As others have mentioned, 5970 quadfire (or any combinations of) doesn't scale well.

I gave up after using dual 5970s.

I think the "optimum" drivers for those cards were Cat 10.3, 10.4 and 10.7. Not sure after Cat 10.9.

32K for a GPU is a little low. From memory, I was getting low 40K @ stock (with BIOS update).

IMO, I can't see AMD optimizing drivers for these cards in the future.

Also, make sure you have a solid PSU. I changed to a Silverstone 1500W and frame rate fluctuations did improve.

Good luck.

5. Andypandy1991

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY
    I have a Corsair 1200 ax and its a pretty good psu!
    Also sometimes it just freezes and it says amd driver stopped responding and has recovered!
    wtf 0_0

6. keromyaou

keromyaou Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080 XC3 Ul
    As Krogthecrown said, you need to overclock GPU to improve graphic scores. I do watercooling for hd5970 and one hd5870. I put another hd5870 with stock air fan when I do quadfire setup. I also have 9800gt for hybrid physX. In this setup the load temperature for hd5970 and watercooled hd5870 stays around 45C. The load temperature of aircooled hd5870 sometimes reachs 65-68C (but less than 70C). If you want to overclock GPU over 850MHz, you need to watercool your GPUs since hd 5970 is prone to overheat.

I agree that your score is very low, as others said. I used to reach GPU score for Vantage over 32K with my old setup (one hd5970+9800gt only, GPU core 920MHz, I disable ppu when I do benchmarking). I am not sure if your crossfire is working properly or not. But your score for Metro 2033 is reasonable considering your gpu core 725MHz and my gpu core 974MHz.

My hd5970, 5870s are all ASUS's (original version). I don't flash the cards. I overclock with the afterburner. It works very well.

There is a very significant improvement from dual to triple crossfireX. But the improvement from triple to quad crossfireX is small (I am doing this for fun. I got the second hd5870 very cheaply) except for benchmarking. But this setup (either triple or quadfire) will be good for now until the next generation (hd7***, gtx6**) since it can play almost all the games with almost maximum settings (Probably Crysis 2 might demand significantly more powerful gpus). So I think that it is worth while for you to improve your setup for now.

7. Andypandy1991

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY
    I know man and thank you very much but the thing is i cant watercool them cause i dont have someone to help me and so i cant overclock cause the temps will be high!
    Now i maybe w8 and shift to newer cards when the time is right!
    I think 1 of my card is problematic!
    Also 2 months ago i was also getting a high gpu score and now suddenly i get this!
    Dont know seriously:(
    But thanks again very much

8. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    Yep same here I loved my trifire setup it ran super smooth but my quad's ran kinda crappy not very smooth didn't keep that very long. My 580's run good and I have gone to 5760 x1080 res so they help with that allot. But ya...ya don't need an upgrade my tri ran good enough I didn't need to upgrade.

9. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    This might sound silly Andy but have you checked gpuz too see if all 4 gpus are enabled? Does the driver not responding error happen often?

10. Andypandy1991

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY
    It stopped happening for a while and now it happened again yesterday!
    GPUZ shows all 4 gpu's enabled!
    I have no idea what to do!
    This seizure i am having is because i spent too much money on something and it doesnt give me full performance!
    Can anyone tell me his ccc settings?

11. Lacusmons

Lacusmons Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Hello!

I was getting the same error and i was getting freezing problems in gaming and benchmarking and what not and my problem was the PSU. My current one was the culprit. I tested with a Corsair HX1000W PSU and it works perfectly now. I also have ordered a Corsair 1200AX PSU because Corsair doesn't recoomend to use HX1000W with 2 5970 for longer use.

My current 3DMark Vantage score is 38K with catalyst 10.10e. i don't recommend the catalyst 10.12 due to stuck second and fourth cores after gaming.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  12. hunuok

hunuok Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX480 Tri SLI
    I also had the "driver has stopped responding and has recovered" issue.

I solved it by:

1. reinstalling ccc using driver sweeper/ccleaner,
    2. updating the BIOS. I was wary of doing it myself so I took them to emtek (sapphire distributor here in seoul) and they did it for me.

Also check that your pcie lanes are set to x16 x16 (check in bios on boot). Mine were running at x16 x1 for some reason. Set it back to "auto".

13. Andypandy1991

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY
    What u all said i have done:p
    I had a 1000w psu OCZ and replaced it with a Corsair 1200w
    Both pcie lanes are 16x
    I updated bios today but i think it updated in one card only cause the other one already had it.
    Well maybe my prayers will be answered!

Also i installed 10.10e and same score:(
    I always use driver sweeper

14. hunuok

hunuok Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX480 Tri SLI
    I understand your frustration!

I got the feeling I had reached the "software" limits of my cards, hence I sold them and went green.

No flame war intended, but everything worked FIRST go. Performance is excellent.

Have you tried Cat 10.3, 10.4 or 10.7?

Have you updated BIOS for mb?

Have you updated chipset drivers?

Last resort : Clean install of windows/drivers?

15. Andypandy1991

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY
    I am already thinking of switching to 595 but it depends on the 6990 performance and also i am a 3d freak:)

I havent tried the drivers u said

I havent seen for any new bios for mb but i had updated it like 2 months ago

Also chipset drivers didnt check

Clean install is not possible right now cause i have too many things in my pc i must finish for work so crap:p

16. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    Just sell one and buy another 5870 u wont be sorry tri really does kick butt!

17. shane_p

shane_p Member

GPU:
    590GTX HYDRO COPPER CLASS
    I didn't see anyone mention TEMPS!!!
    run GPU-Z, and SAVE RESULTS TO FILE (also "run in background")
    and run 3D Vantage and see how hot ur cards gets (VRM TEMPS especially)
    and see if u ever get too hot u could just be throttling back Mhz
    (my 5970 would throttle back due to VRM TEMPS untill I went under water)

btw
    I have 5970+5870 and I about 43,000 GPU score on Vantage (with a 980x as well)

18. Andypandy1991

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY
    My temps usually reach about 70c
    I think its normal!
    What do u think?

19. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Well put it this way, 5870s crossfired give you 30k at stock speeds. You should be over the 40k mark

20. keromyaou

keromyaou Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080 XC3 Ul
    You mentioned about a possibility that one of your hd5970 might be faulty. I think that you should check out vantage score for both of your hd5970 independently (install only one hd5970 in your computer). Once you know for sure that your hd5970 is working normally, you can start to work on the problems about crossfireX.