5970 Quadfire + Swiftech Epsilons

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by xxomegaxx, Mar 11, 2010.

1. xxomegaxx

xxomegaxx Active Member

GPU:
    Quadfire 5970@1000
    I just recently put Epsilon blocks on both of my 5970s and my GPU temps i belive are great compared to the stock cooler 26-30 idle 49 Load on all 4 cores at 850 MHZ but there is something off on my VDDC temps they go as high as 120c.

I was wondering if anybody here has expirience with the block or could please point me to the VDDC's exact location so i can check if the thermal plate is proper.
    The backplate also gets very hot on load temps im guessing because of the VDDC temps.

Any help would be greatly appriciated

2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    anandtech have an article with pictures about it.

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=657

check it out now! because 120 is waaaaay too high.

is it 120 at idle or at full load? furmark tends to stress out your vrms more than most games ever will.

3. xxomegaxx

xxomegaxx Active Member

GPU:
    Quadfire 5970@1000
    Thanks a lot I will check on that when I get home.
    120 under load idle is around 30 I was using msi kombastor

4. xxomegaxx

xxomegaxx Active Member

GPU:
    Quadfire 5970@1000
    Fixed removed tape from VDDC's and applied paste, they peak out now at 75 and my gpu temps dropped around 4c over all.

Thanks guys!

5. xxomegaxx

xxomegaxx Active Member

GPU:
    Quadfire 5970@1000
    Well i guess something went wrong after just runing kombustor for around 20 mins everything was fine, the second i turned it off my screen turned off.

I rebooted and on my first 5970 2 red leds came on by the far right of the board so i switched the power connectors around a bit the red leds turned off and that little green led you see by the second chip was also off.

And just 2 mins ago the green led is on but flashing!

Do you guys have any idea ? is it maybe my PSU ? its an enermax 1000w

Edit
    It started working again after a while but had to reinstall and sweep drivers i think im going to have to look for a new PSU do you guys have any suggestions, i was looking at something like a strider1500 or would a 1200-1250 be enough

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  6. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    how is your psu set up? is it a big single rail or a multirail setup?

if its a big single rail, just leave it hooked up to your graphics card, and hook everything else (mobo, 12V mobo, hdds, opticals, fans, etc) up to like a 500w psu (less will be fine if you dont oc your cpu much).

this way you can avoid the graphics cards losing power as other parts demand more.