5870 Question

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Mobin, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Mobin

Mobin Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980 G1
    hey guys

going to change the stock cooler on my Asus 5870 with a thermalright spitfire and R-4

and need to know if i can use thermal paste on these components as i dont have any thermal pads left.

(CPL2-4)(R23)

[​IMG]

2. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Yep. Done it myself :thumbup:

3. Mobin

Mobin Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980 G1
    Ah Huh! Thnx man

but
    how much paste?how do i apply it? (squeeze a drop,brush with a q-tip)

and do you know what else needs coolin? ive got some ram sinks...

but in a diagram i saw two other chips at the top just behind the dvi ports
    anyone knows what they are and how important it is to cool 'em?

4. |WOY|Shotty1993

|WOY|Shotty1993 Banned

GPU:
    POV GTX 470
    Go and post some pics when done please, i need to change the cooler on mines aswell :)

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Well just tried with the zalman 950 and got some mx 3 compound for it. Cooler was crap but it did come with heatsinks, most aftermarket coolers come with ramsinks and my next will will be the accelero twin pro.

will have it up and running tomorriw night hopefully. will take some pics of the install and put them in a thread i already started about the zalman if that helps. i did take pics of the zalman 950 being installed but as it's crap didnt post them :)

i am tempted now by using artic silver 5 as i didnt like the mx3 compound. didnt spread very easily whereas the artic is sticky stuff and you get a good connection and it seems easier to spread.

apparently mx2 or m3 is better for gpus.

(my corei7 loves artic silver 5 so am thinking why not the 5870).

i was very tempted by the scythe setsugen as i read a german review where they liked it most out off all the aftermarket coolers for the 5870. (wasnt in stock so i went for the accelero).

6. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    normally for the paste, i just apply a small blob, and press against it with the heatsink/cooler and mount the cooler down on it. due to the outwards spreading motion triggered by the pressure of the cooler, it generally spreads evenly with no air bubbles.

i went through a whole tube on each of my 5850s because i replaced the oem thermal pads with thermalpaste to improve heat transfer.

pretty much when you remove the oem cooler, look at where the thermal pads and thermal paste is, and see where it lines up on the pcb and cover them with thermalpaste, its the simplest way.

good luck! and post temps and pics when youve got it all set up!

7. Mobin

Mobin Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980 G1
    @sever

thanks dude

going to set it up in a few days as i'm buried in work at da moment

:grad:

will be sure to post some pics when i am done!