5870 Powerplay bug

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by quickkill2021, Nov 27, 2009.

1. tommcd64

tommcd64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Quadfire 2 4870 X2's
    One of the options when saving a profile is activation. That allows you to create a desktop shortcut. Do this and then copy that shortcut to your windows startup folder and the profile will load at startup.

2. quickkill2021

quickkill2021 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon
    A lot has happened since my last post. I will try to summarize

1. Talked to sapphire tech. They said it must be hardware related so they gave me a rma number.

2. I decided to do one more final test. I had an 4850 toxic lying around so i switched them and ran pcmark vantage to see what my clocks were. To my suprise i discovered my 4850 toxic clocks were locked at 675/1100! my card won't downclock to 500/1100.

3. This test proves that my 5870 is alright. So what is the problem?

4. I then uninstalled my os and replaced it with windows 7 ultimate. I was previously using windows 7 professional edition. I ran pcmark vantage and to my suprise my clocks afterwards went to idle!!!

5. So then i thought it must be a problem with windows 7 professional edition. maybe a bad disk. However after i started fiddling around with the themes, i ran pcmark vantage again and my clocks locked up!

6. So i did some tests. I opened gpu z, then i opened pcmark vantage and i saw that my clocks would go up and down it would go to 850/12000 then to 157/300 all the time at least every second.

7. So then i enabled windows 7 basic and my clocks stopped fluctuating. then i remembered that my first successful test i was running windows 7 basic.

So right now i am re doing the test. I believe that this problem has something to do with aero glass being enabled. If i have any transparency in my themes my clocks go all over the place with vantage opened. We will see but hopefully i am right.

This may explain why windows 7 professional edition wouldn't work because the default theme had transparency. The default theme with my ultimate is basic. So ya. lets see.

3. Copyright78

Copyright78 Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX580 900/2200
    Have you tried using MSI Afterburner and enable the unofficial overclocking method by setting the value to "1" in the config file. Then setup a 2d and 3d profile of your own and see how it works? The unofficial method disables Powerplay from what I understand. kinda like using AMD GPU Clock.

4. quickkill2021

quickkill2021 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon
    I finally fixed my problem.

I had originally been mistaken the other windows 7 did the same thing...

So i just downgraded to vista 64 ultimate. And BAM!! problem solved..

I guess its just a windows 7 problem. I am not gona upgrade till they get it fixed. Then again, vista is going to get direct X 11 soon so why bother.