5870 Overvolt halts at 1.125v ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by enoy21, Sep 11, 2011.

1. enoy21

enoy21 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 @ 925/1225
    Hey guys , Has anyone seen this issue and more importantly anyone gotten past it ?

Here is the issue :

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115927

This thread is a year old so I'm hoping someone here knows a fix that does not involve Afterburner/Trixx/Rivatuner as all of these 3rd party software tools cause BSOD's in Bad Company2 and likely the upcoming BF3 thanks to punkbuster .

Below is my response to that thread :

2. enoy21

enoy21 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 @ 925/1225
    Could this actually be a problem with GPU-Z reading it correctly ?

It seems Furmark and GPU Shark are reading what the Bios says it should be doing :

[​IMG]

3. enoy21

enoy21 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 @ 925/1225
    Since I am just talking to myself here I'll update myself.

I am believing this is just an issue with GPU-z as I am currently benchmarking a 925-1250 OC. And the above picture shows the two other programs reading differently.

I believe that going to 1.2v core and slightly higher on memory I could hit the 1000/1300 mark , but I don't believe that is necassary at this time as I don't want to have to run my fan above 40% due to noise levels.

With stock cooling ( reference ) and auto fan turned on I am topping out around 86c in Furmark , but my games and Unigine don't seem to go above 75c .

One change I also made today that may have helped in stability ( can't say for sure ) is that I went to the ATI 103 bios rather than the Sapphire/Asus 101 I had been using previously.

This increased vcore (register 0x18 ) voltage from 1.165 to 1.175.

I am so glad I took the chance and used RBE instead of third party active software due to the punkbuster interference. ( If not for Punkbuster then any of the overvolt Utilities would be awesome.)

Now I can OC with ATITray tools with no punkbuster issues at all.

Unigine scores went from 43 FPS score 1103 @ stock to 56 fps 1364 score at 925/1250. ( although there was no real changes between 1225 and 1250 on memory so I will likely run 1225 for most applications )

Thanks for reading. Maybe this will help someone else in a google search one day.

4. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Gave my sapphire 5870 along with the 6 core amd @ 4ghz + to my dad for his birthday, fast machine.

Speaking of 5870, I manage to get to almost near 1.1ghz on the gpu core itself with the 5850/5870 waterblock from watercool, heatkiller gpu3. One hell of an waterblock. Cools the gpu and vrm like no tommorrow.

voltage @ 1.35v. Fast.

If its stop at that low of an voltage, maybe could be that the vrm are degrading overtime?? you should able to hit like 1.2v no problem, dont what the problem is.

5. enoy21

enoy21 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 @ 925/1225
    Truth is I really hadn't been over volting for most of the time I've owned it. It's ran most all games fantastic and had no need. I just started playing with voltages in the past month or so.

Again I think it could take much higher voltages with no real issues but the Reference cooling would require the fan running at 50% or higher which is a pretty big deterrent due to sound.

When I make my new upgrade next year I may go water cooling for both CPU and Vid card now that so many of them have the fully sealed versions. Previously I was always afraid I would have some kind of leak and throw away one of the 2 core ( and most expensive ) pieces of my system.