5870 or wait for Nvidia GTX 380?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dunx125, Dec 15, 2009.

1. dunx125

dunx125 Member

GPU:
    Club3D HD 5870
    Hi Everyone

I realise that people have posted before about this, but I am in a different situation. I have built myself a Core I7 gaming pc, but as yet I have not been able to find an HD 5870 in stock in South Africa, but I should be able to get one by this weekend. I am now wondering whether I should get a weaker card (such as a 4850), which I can sell when Nvidia finally release their DX11 lineup. My main concern is that even though the 5870 is powerful enough to handle any game maxed out at 1080p, once proper DX11 games get released it may no longer be capable.

Judging from the GTX 380's stats it should be able to trounce the 5870 or even the 5970, while still being single GPU. Even if the price is $500 in the US (meaning about $650 in South Africa), I can still afford it and it would much more future-proof. My next upgrade will probably be in early 2011, for the record.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jed_tb

jed_tb Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5870
    stats? what stats? nothing has been released apart from marketing BS - its becoming more and more clear that the 3 series pretty much has the same computing power as a the ati cards...but then we all knew that right from the start,

nvidia is good at spinning the hype machine and spinning it good.

my advice get a 5870/5970 and be happy. there nice cards and certainly wont be getting 'trounced' by nvidias release this time.

if you always wait you will never be happy so buy now!

3. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Personally I'm w8ing for the 300 series and then pick wichever one will be the best bang for the buck.

If the history repeats itself we will see a 380 gtx that is slightly faster then a 5870 but also abit more expensive. The question for me is more of if I wanna go for dual gpu or single gpu. I'm not to sure I wanna embark on dual gpu with the heat issues it obviously have, and I'm very reluctant to watercooling still.

So for me it will be a matter of 380 GTX vs 5970, I'd guess 380 GTX will be around 400 euros, and the 5870 will be around 480 euros when prices dropped some from the initial launch.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  4. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    I would wait to see the fastest card from nvidia and then decide..

5. dunx125

dunx125 Member

GPU:
    Club3D HD 5870
    I could, but to do so I would have to buy and sell a temporary card, since otherwise I would have to use my 5 year old pc (pentium 4 + 5200fx FTW). When Nvidia release their new cards the value of the HD 4850 will go down, meaning that I would lose money. Whatever happens I will be going single gpu, due to better efficiency as well as driver dependency. Due to console porting pc game graphics are pretty much at a standstill anyway, so I will probably only encounter problems when the next-gen consoles get released, by which time I would of upgraded.

If I do get the 5870, would it be seriously bottlenecked if the Core I7 920 is at stock speed (2.6ghz)? I have been thinking of getting a Coolermaster V8 for it, but I would only do that if it gave me a significant performance increase (via an overclock to roughly 3.8ghz). I am using a HAF 922 with an extra 20cm side panel fan, which should be great for overclocking.

6. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Hey dude, my friend spent 6 months in cape town. She got mugged 3 times lol...

If you need a card right now I'd say either buy a really cheap low profile card just to run your desktop untill fermi gets here....for price drops etc

or just buy a 5870 and be happy, its a great card.

Don't read into figures and "leaked" slides too much, in the end we all know the 380 will probs be faster and as usual cost a good bit more. What matters is the 5870 is here, its powerful and it suits your needs.

If you wanna wait, then wait. In the computing world theres ALWAYS a reason to wait for something thats round the corner.

7. JumperR

JumperR Master Guru

GPU:
    GtX 570 @ 900/1950
    The new Nvidia will be so expensive when it comes out.....
    I suggest to get the 5870 then sell it later if you decided to buy 300 series

^_^

8. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Get a Radeon 5870.
    Find a guy who wants a 5870 real bad, and then promise him that you will sell it to him.
    When the 380 gtx comes out and if i doubt that will mop the floor with the hd 5870, sell it to the guy and get the 380 gtx, if not, just tell him you dont want to sell your 5870 anymore

9. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD5450
    Nvidia GTX 3*** series most likely won't be out until late january-early february at the latest.

CES is jan 7-10, 2010 and that's when we will start seeing hands-on reviews. I was actually thinking that it might just be a paper release on jan 7 but it looks like they are on track.

10. kaazz

kaazz Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 8800GT 512mb
    Sorry to interrupt your topic, but I was really wondering: I read on this site that Nvidia stopped making GTX 260 / 275, and therefore their prices will only go up. So does that means, that once the GTX 300 series come up, the 260/275 won't go down? Or will they go down in price once the 300 release, and I'll be able to pick them extremely cheap?

11. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    The warehouses like Newegg will have a lot of stock, so the prices will eventually fall provided they don't sell out of cards first.

12. kaazz

kaazz Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 8800GT 512mb
    So it's really true nvidia stopped making those cards? Seriously weird.

13. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    It's not weird at all. read up on the financial trouble Nvidia is having, and you will understand.

They are human too, gotta do what they gotta do.

14. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I decided to go SLI instead and stop worrying about new cards for a while. IMHO we win in every situation.. New ATI cards or going SLI or waiting for Nvidia.

I'll probably buy a new Nvidia card around the end of 2010.

15. dunx125

dunx125 Member

GPU:
    Club3D HD 5870
    I heard that the cards would only be available around later March, due to TSMC's yield issues. I think I might go for the 5870 now, since I just realised that GTX 380 is likely to be ridiculously expensive over here. At the moment I can get a 5870 for about $470 (all be it a rather mediocre manufacturer), but if Nvidia's new card is better the price could easily top $550-600 (bare in mind I am talking South African prices, not American). Dual-GPU is just to expensive, the cheapest 5970 here is $1000!

Do you think it would be necessary to overclock the CoreI7 920? I would prefer to avoid doing so as it shortens its lifespan and voids the warrantee, but I do not want the 5870 to be seriously bottlenecked.

16. jed_tb

jed_tb Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5870
    yeh i reckon around march to, i like nvidia alot but they need to pick up the pace as there seriously getting left behind. so what the 3series come out and then by then ati would already be working/announcing its next cards - epic fail nvidia.

17. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    nVidia In financial trouble? Didn't know that, worth reading up on.

The GTX3xx when released could cost a LOT more than the 5870. AMD are milking the 5xxx for all it's worth before nVidia release their cards and if nVidia have no response to the 5xxx series AMD won't drop their price.

Personally, I don't doubt the nVidia cards will be faster, the question is how much more are they going to cost.

Also you can't expect nVidia to keep manufacturing a card that is already obsolete. The entire GTX2xx series and the 4xxx series will or have been taken out of production. There is no need to keep making them when they can make cards on smaller fabrication (when TSMC have fixed their lines) and can bring more profit to the companies. We'd all be on horses, still, otherwise.

18. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    Nvidia lost 2% since the introduction of the Radeon 4xxx series. I wouldn't call that "financial trouble', but its certainly not good for them.

Not really, ATI can build more powerful 5 series cards for less than Nvidia can build a 2xx series card. So with cheaper ATI cards, its not profitable for Nvidia to continue to make "outdated" 2xx series cards.

19. chris

chris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX460
    Even if the price is $500 in the US (meaning about $650 in South Africa)
    Dont think you're converting it correctly,1 USD is R7.50.
    So 500USD is about R3750.00,and with import duty etc,expect to pay R4000.00,
    When I do these comparisons I just times the figure by 10,then you will have a idea of what you would really pay here in SA when comparing USD to the Rand.

20. Azarobi

Azarobi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870
    you can take in to account whats happening with the ATI 4xxx cards. their prices have gone down drastically.