5870 future games question

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by poliv123, Oct 24, 2009.

1. poliv123

poliv123 Active Member

GPU:
    r9 280x 3gb
    Hi everybody!!!
    Is my single Sapphire 5870 enough for the future games like crysis 2 etc...?
    Or i have to buy another 5870.I don't care about high fps i just want to play future games in playable fps.
    i have samasung 22'' and i play games in 1680x1050.
    I know it is future question but i want to know what will happen with future games (If you know something)
    Thank you !!!!!:)
    Sorry for my English!!

2. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Your good to go for awhile.... Enjoy your card....

3. poliv123

poliv123 Active Member

GPU:
    r9 280x 3gb
    Thank you!!!

4. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    You got the top card of ati atm.
    In the past you could play games at high settings for about 2 years with such cards,before you needed to play at medium or low settings.
    Ofcourse there are always exceptions like crysis maxed out to the limit.

Now having said that,i played crysis with a E8500 cpu and ati x1900xt.Ofcourse the settings were low to medium,with most settings still at medium.Resolution wasn't too high either.It looked fine and it played fine.fps between 40 and 50 with the obvious dips that occur on demanding scenes.

The point is,you get used to the settings your current card provides.So in future it isn't a bad thing to play new games at settings you are already used to.
    On the other hand,buying a new card after 2 years,will let you experience those games again with higher settings,thus giving a new feeling to an already played game.Like I had recently with crysis and warhead.
    Or not if the game is poor :p

ps. a good game isn't determined by its graphics quality.Playability is still the main factor for a good game.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009

5. Atel

Atel Member

GPU:
    PowercolorHD4870x2 2048MB
    True, but eye-wateringly pretty pixels help, don't they? :)

Roughly how much real-world performance improvement does the 5870 offer above the 4870x2? I am of course painfully aware of the x2 when crossfire doesn't scale well!

6. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    You card is good enough for atleast another year..Then get a new one in the market, xfire only if you are not satisfied with the performance, no real need, imo..

7. poliv123

poliv123 Active Member

GPU:
    r9 280x 3gb
    Thank you for your answers!!!!