5850 grey stripped screen

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by dirthurts, Jan 10, 2011.

1. dirthurts

dirthurts Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    I have a Sapphire 5850 Toxic edition.
    Seemingly at random I am getting a gray screen with these sort of vertical bands on it.
    I have tried 10.12 and 10.10 drivers. 10.10 seemed to work fine in the past.
    Does this sound like a bad video card to you?
    The entire computer locks up when it happens.

2. Oni29

Oni29 Active Member

GPU:
    PNY 780 GTX
    I had this issue with a 5870 from XFX. XFX gave me a new bios to fix the problem, but all the bios did was down clock the memory. My card was the XXX version so the memory ran at 5200, they made it run at 5000 to stop the grey screens. I wasnt happy about the down clock so they RMA'd it. Id try a lower memory clock see if it works, if it does try to return the card.

3. dirthurts

dirthurts Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse

I'll try downclocking and see what that does. Any real impact on performance there?

4. Oni29

Oni29 Active Member

GPU:
    PNY 780 GTX
    it was more a less the same, didnt seen any loss in gaming, if anything it was more fluid, for me it was the fact i paid for an item i wasnt getting anymore

5. dirthurts

dirthurts Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse

Nice. Thanks I'll try it.
    I got a pretty good deal so I'm not too worried about it. I'll just lose more money shipping it in for repairs anyway.

6. moriz

moriz Active Member

GPU:
    MSI HD 5850 (900/1200)
    you're seeing the infamous GSoD, which has affected all radeon cards since the HD4000 series. in this case, it has something to do with memory clock speeds, more specifically changing memory clock speeds.

also, keep in mind that the memory chips for the first revision 5850 are all rated to run at 1250 mhz, or 5000 mhz. i suggest not pushing it beyond that. the reason why you're seeing smoother framerates is that these memory chips have error correction built in. if you clock them too high, they won't artifact, they'll just drop in performance. i suppose the other symptom is eventual GSoD.

7. Oni29

Oni29 Active Member

GPU:
    PNY 780 GTX
    Thanks for the reply. Mine was pre overclocked by XFX. Had to be downclocked to work, that's why I sent it back to them.

8. dirthurts

dirthurts Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    I see. Yeah that would kind of be no fun. I would have rma'd it too.
    So far seems so good. i dropped the speed about 150 and it seems nice and stable. I'm still testing to see if it will occur again. Hopefully not!

9. dirthurts

dirthurts Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    I've not gotten any more grey screens however I did receive a "driver has stopped working" error and it recovered. Could this be a hardware problem too? Or is it just a software kink?
    I was watching streaming video when it happened (just once so far).