5800X boost clock (Ryzen Master)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by TycStyle, Jan 12, 2021.

1. TycStyle

TycStyle New Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 xc3 U
    Hi all,

yesterday I have swapped my 3700X with the 5800X and am trying to understand a few things in terms of clock-speeds.
    Anyway, here's the deal; when testing in Master (and any stress testing in Aida or monitoring single thread Cinebench) the clockspeed never exceeds 4600 (actually just under 4600Mhz). This seems to be controlled somehow, somewhere and I have no idea what/where. No OC active nothing.

So far I have:
    - Updated the Gigabyte I Aorus X570 Pro Wifi to latest bios and Flashed CMOS
    - Set memory to XMP profile
    - Set powerplan to balanced (recommended) since all the "performance" ones are garbage (running at 3700Mhz??)
    - HWMonitor does show that the max Mhz (peak) is at around 4800Mhz

Timespy detailed report also shows that the benchmark was able to go above 4600Mhz. So I am completely puzzled by why a stress test on the cpu won't? This just doesn't feel right.

Benchmark results are just a bit under avg, but not bad by any means, (Timespy) and a bit higher in Cinebench R20 and temps are fine.

Any hints/tips?
    Really curious!

Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  2. TycStyle

TycStyle New Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 xc3 U
    Well, based on the review on Kitguru.net these values are actually really good...

3. Kool64

Kool64 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    CPU speed is fully dependent on cooling so the hotter the chip runs the lower the speed goes. The same would be true for your 3700x of course. What cooler do you have?

4. TycStyle

TycStyle New Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 xc3 U
    Temps are not that bad actually, in cpu stress test at 80, with a Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH edition, with a better cooling 1200 rpm kaze flex fan for push and a Noctua NF-a12x25 as pull/exhaust. In gaming benchmarks the cpu is cooled at around 60

5. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+590
    did you turn on PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) in bios?
    im reading theres 2 places also (like asus) to enable it. one i see is in xfr, the other is pbo itself (not sure where)
    once i got a aio im seeing in cinebench single core it will hit 5.2 at times but average 4.8. multicore all cores hold at 4.7 with temp at 73c (aio running silent mode)