580 sli not enough need tri!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Krogtheclown, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Obviously we are always dealing with a theoretical bottleneck somewhere, no part are gonna run at a 1:1 ratio with everything else. But we are looking at this from a practical pov not a theoretical.

Will a 2600k sb clocked at 5 ghz remove this "fps" drop the op is having? I believe it won't.

A bottleneck in crysis would most likely show itself as your cards not running at their max gpu usage even if the scenes are heavy but still leaving you with bad performance. Using the term badly here pritty lously since well at a normal resolution we all now his system would produce beyond playable rates before it would run into a bottleneck either on the gpus or cpu side of things.

You could probably try and 'somewhat' rule out the cpu by simply lowering the graphical settings, if the fps raises (hopefully alot ) then you have cause to believe that the actual processor is capable of running the game engine and doing so at a very high speed/drawrate - indirectly indicating that the system has vast amounts of extra resources.
    - Scale up the graphics and you put more stress on the gpus, cpu will have to work harder as the graphics get more complicated but not at the same ratio/pace as the gpus has to work harder, not in this game. Mind you I'm not laying out facts this is how I reason with this game and engine.

Now this is ofc not 100% scientific since you cannot easily account for driver overhead, and translate x amount of excess fps at lowest/lower resolution(s) to draw linear conclusions on how capable the cpu is when it comes to shuffling the extra data required for a higher resolution and or graphical setting - but it can give you a strong hint.

I think people should chillout abit with the insults @ the op, and save your victory dance for when he had the time to actually test it out.

Nevertheless, he was *hopefully* here to get advice and it is within his right to take it or leave it.

You people remember the amount of insults Bodar recieved from some parts of this community when he 1st came here and posted to get advice?

Might wanna check your fire guys.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Then don't make claims you're not willing to reference. No one else is going to look them up either

3. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    Really lets see your maxed out metro score

He'd rather just say its so.

you could be right

sorry you feel that way

ya thats ok I haven't been all that tollarent.:)

4. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    You could probably try and 'somewhat' rule out the cpu by simply lowering the graphical settings, if the fps raises (hopefully alot ) then you have cause to believe that the actual processor is capable of running the game engine and doing so at a very high speed/drawrate - indirectly indicating that the system has vast amounts of extra resources.

Good point done

[​IMG]

5. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

6. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:

7. steelcowboy

steelcowboy Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570's SLI
    Ill make any claims i want get off your dead ass and google it.This is another bodar thread in the making im done with it.Buy i5's and 15 580's i could give a rats ass.Bottom line is you will be botlenecked at that rez.

8. Beast

Beast Guest

GPU:
    -
    Krogtheclown, you better do what they say and get yourself an i7 so you don't bottleneck those GTX 580's by a wopping 2fps :p

9. Martys Web

Martys Web Don Santino Corleone

GPU:
    XFX 7600gt
    steelcowboy I will ask you to keep your cool in here pls :( That goes for all of you no flaming no fighting.

10. Andypandy1991

Andypandy1991 Master Guru

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY
    All u need now is 3d vision;)

11. |Ano|

|Ano| Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX560Ti Twin FrozR II
    Tbh he's cpu is way better, you should know that

12. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Bottom line is, no one cares what claims you make if you don't reference them. Your word means nothing, really. No offense.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Just reminded me, what happened to Bodar?

14. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    ya 3fps if i dont oc enough

man no way those monitor cost to much

I've done lots of researching I do believe im bottleneck thats why In getting another gpu.

yes it is but they just dont help in gaming

I havn't seen him for awhile what happened to him?

15. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    lol, 3d surround vision and he'll need 4x 580s to maintain constant 60fps on all 3 screens, haha.

16. Ramair325

Ramair325 Member Guru

GPU:
    3 BFG 280gtx
    From my personal experience its more about the video driver being optimized for that particular game. It seems to me the drivers are worked for mainstream gaming meaning 1680x1050 res and they focus on the driver just enough to make the games run very smooth at that res. Depending on the game higher resolutions will be more accommodating to the driver (imo basically the less complex the game is the better the driver will do with more pixels).

A. test out different drivers until your blue in the face. Both GTA IV and Crysis had very different results with different driver on my tri 280's (So much of a difference one driver is completely unplayable to a perfectly smooth experience on both GTA and Crysis). So much so that i have a clean OS for each game with that driver installed (for some reason nvidia never includes old driver fixes for those games in there future releases of drivers....)
    B. you can try o/c'ing your pci-e bus to 130-150 ish careful it can cause data corruption, although i have yet to have it happen to me. From what i can tell or gather from personal experience is that increasing pci-e speed must reduce latency just like putting lower latency system memory in can have a very noticeable impact in certain scenarios.

17. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok after a hugh snow delay i finally got my 3rd card and the results are in
    yea it made a big difference.
    Oddly I couldn't run 8aa it would it would reboot might be a driver problem with 3 cards and that game.

[​IMG]

18. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

Are the cards clocked at all ?? 5760 eats your cards up big time.. SLI 3gb's would be good to see though.. Hows your scores with 1080p ?

19. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    No I have no oc on my cards just the cpu, infact I tried to oc the cpu up and down and it makes no difference. I had many on here saying my CPU wasn't gonna run these well I can tell you for a fact my i5 is up to the challenge. The 3rd card has made a big difference in every game I've played so far. Crysis and warhead play fantastic with 2 aa, stalker is maxed out and runs very smooth now as does BFBC2 later i'll get on crysis wars and see how that does.
    I never game in 1080 no more so that would be pointless.

20. Jenova_link

Jenova_link Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Tri is not enough you need to wait for the GTX 590 with 2 gpu on board and get not just 1 or 2 but 4 of them ..... OHHHHH YAAAA that ill do the trick..get that setup and the next time you run crysis you will see more than just frame rate you will see $$$$$ flying too....lol.:banana: