580 sli not enough need tri!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Krogtheclown, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    Ya ordered the other 580 sat. so it coming in anyway.

I'll check on that with EVGA. We shall see.

2. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok so here is my last rig with an i7 @ 4.0 and tri 280's. So why not go back to an x58 MB because after many many benchmarks I understood it was a waste of money and an i5 would do just as well with the proper MB and it does regardless of what many of you think I've tried your set up, have you tried mine?
    [​IMG]

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My GTX460 barely has enough graphics memory to handle World of Warcraft at 1920x1080....and it's considerably less graphics intensive than Crysis: Warhead. At your resolution, I very seriously doubt you have enough graphics memory (read: memory on the graphics card itself) to handle high graphics settings at your resolution. But, feel free to ignore what I'm telling you....quite frankly, I'd be looking at your network connection FIRST....

4. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Doubt even crysis at 5000+x1080p uses more then 1000-1100 mb of ram with no aa enabled, maybe with aa enabled it could stretch to 1300 but really doubt its more.

The memory usage doesn't scale linear from 1-2-3 mons from what I seen, like crysis maxed with no aa one 1 mon @ 1920x1200 uses around 650 mb iirc ( might be wrong here ) but it wasn't that massive.

Gonna be interesting to hear your results when you tested it out, let us know!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

5. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Well you/we doesnt have to assume the guys a moron, its very easy to send the msi afterburner reads to say your g15,g19 etc and monitor it from there.

If we are gonna assume that his readings are wrong then why would your wow results be right? Also crysis and wow ain't the same software, wow ticks diffrently.

Look at gta4, not that awesome graphics wise imo still rapes the vram if you unlock the draw distance sliders.

Well I think we should hold our horses here, and see what kind of results he gets, though I highly doubt it is his vram running out.

/edit

Found this, might be helpful might not be.
    http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=20082

Clearly states that once the vram was eaten up the performance died completly it didnt just dip down from 60 to 40 fps but all the way down to 1-4 fps pritty much.

If the op indeed is watching his vram and it isn't all out then there must be some other exponation, seeing as the gpus are bang on 99% I would say it lacks pure ompf and not just vram. Adding a 3rd might be enough to smooth out the drops when things are really busy in a MP enviroment, might not raise the max or average that much but should smooth out the dips.

Well as I said gonna be interesting to see how the 3rd card works out for ya.

6. xinhang

xinhang Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX480 SSC
    From what i remembered, Crysis at 1080p with 8X aa use 1.2gb of VRAM, I'm almost certain that with OP's resolution and some aa, it will use more than 1.5gb of VRAM that 580 provide

7. rooisone

rooisone Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 570
    Nice rig can't wait to see the tri GTX580's

8. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    With no AA it uses about 1gb of mem with 2AA use's almost 1.5 runs the same speed at both no AA and 2AA
    "Nice rig can't wait to see the tri GTX580's"
    Thanks but not gonna WC these I hope, I say Im not but when I get bored with gaming I start playing around.

9. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    bottom line with those res even 5 cards in sli will hit a wall with just 1.5gb mem.

10. andynolife

andynolife New Member

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX480 SC OC'd
    OP, I felt you, people should comment if they have first hand experience.
    I went from i5 750@4Ghz 5870CF to GTX480 SLI and now running the same GTX SLI on a i7 950@4Ghz, there is no difference other than benchmarks.

I game the SLI GTX480 @ 5760x1080 - for the BFBC2, it is more than likely a bug with 3 monitor config. I was fine with 8x AA and after the update it will CTD in SP or MP. dial down to 4x AA helps and it's perfectly fine now. Cannot 100% ruled out the memory, but after google the issue, many has the same problem.

Bottom line, go with it by all means, anandtech shows no difference between x16/x16 vs x16/x8 on SLI GTX480, as long as it's x8, you will be fine.

And we do need this kind of brutle power running with 3 monitors.

11. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

12. rooisone

rooisone Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 570
  13. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Quite awesome indeed but evgas pre blocked cards are quite expensive, still though you get full warranty on it..but I would guess that sucker costs 800+ dollars :(

In Europe probably 800 euros..

/edit

Well 700 bucks, so about 100 bucks more then if you would have bought your own block, then again you get a warranty and stepup (?)

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20

15. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:

16. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok so I thought that if I keep adding AA then it would completly crash the frames but as you can see it didn't. I have no OC here and Nvidia control maxed so if I where to benchmark this I could get higher.

[​IMG]

17. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    I just find this thread so amusing ...

18. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    yep me too @ times and of course i knew without a doubt some clown would come on here and say I need a cpu upgrade as they do in about every thread writing that doesn't have an OC'd i7

I agree at least Crysis doesn't need it but I like in BFBC2.

19. Cyrax

Cyrax Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti gamer SLI
    dont like 3 screens tbh....

love playing on my 30 inch with gtx 580 sli
    Crysis : verry high 0x AA 54 fps average IMO who needs AA on such big resolutions

20. Imglidinhere

Imglidinhere Guest

GPU:
    12GB RX 6700XT
    COMPLETE EDIT:

Noticing something interesting here. The review on this very site shows the the reviewer using an i7 965 @ 3.75GHz and it was shown that the i7 was a bottleneck to the two 580s in SLI.

Your i5 isn't going to cut it.