5770 Crossfire users,what psu are you using,what is a must on watts and amps?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by amakusashiro, Jul 27, 2010.

1. amakusashiro

amakusashiro Banned

GPU:
    two HD5770 in crossfire
    I had the weirdest thing happen to me today. My Thermaltake 250 watt VGA psu up and died on me while the comp was idle in windows. I popped it open, and no caps were blown, nothing looked burned. Anyway, my main psu that I had to fall back on to power the cards is a BFG 650 watt sli able psu, with two +12 rails @20 amps each. Most reviews I have read for Crossfire on two 5770 cards show total system load at a tad over 400 watts or so, and sometimes a tad below that, though I didn't see too much on amps usage on the two cards. With a 650 watt psu I figured Im safe, but I wanted to get some other opinions from others using these cards in Crossfire on what they feel from their experiences they have needed for them, and what you guys are currently using to satisfy those power needs? What are you system specs too?

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    It would help to know your system specs.
    It looks like you havent updated them for some time.
    ps in your sig, its BFG, not BGF.

3. rjc862003

rjc862003 Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5750@855/1337
    you should be fine

4. amakusashiro

amakusashiro Banned

GPU:
    two HD5770 in crossfire
    Lol irony is I was trying to update my specs right after I posted this tread, but my net connection went down due to a bit of stormy weather we have going on. Yeah noticed I put BGF too, lol silly me, oh well.

Yea I figure I am fine, but I really do want to read about others 5770 crossfire set ups on here, see what others have going on pretty much across the spectrum, low end to higher end psu, cpu, ram,ect. Def would like to know what people are getting away with on these cards on the lower psu end of things.

5. Yadda

Yadda Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1200/6400
    I have two 5770's crossfired but my PSU is overkill for my system (74A single 12v rail) so not sure this post will be of much use.

I'm always wary of pushing low-end PSU's too hard despite the miraculous stories of people powering very demanding systems on cheap or low-power PSU's. If it blows it could take a number of components down with it - it's a risky business!

Your 650W PSU should be fine though.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  6. dshramek

dshramek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Running a Corsair 750TX & it pushes my xfire 5770 no problem.

7. ndude555

ndude555 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 5770 @ 910
    Mine is a bit over kill but when I got it I figured I'd be updating to something a bit more punchy than the 4890 I had then. Now here i sit with 2x 5770s with a healthy OC :)

8. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    Your PSU has the watts, as longs as you don't have alot of drives or other 12v loads the rail caps shouldn't be a problem. When it's time to replace go with a single rail Corsair 650tx or 750tx
    Good Luck
    Bretware

9. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    I recently upgraded my rig, but I was a similar setup as below except it had an AMD Phenom II 940 3.0 Quad @ 125watts in it. I ran that with the 2 4850s on a 600 watt OCZ StealthXStream (4 rails @ 18amps each) and it worked great. Now I was pushing it allot more than yours system would be power consumption wise, so you should be ok with the 650 watts... only 40 amps total is another thing. If you end up with both GPUs on the same rail it may overload it.

10. Jakeman97

Jakeman97 New Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 5770
    Running 2 machines with xFire XFX 5770s
    #1 PSU Ultra X3 1000W
    #2 PSU Tt RU319 Black Widow 850W

You probably won't really need more than a good 650W.
    Jakeman97

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    I've hit 500W at the wall socket with Furmark.
    I doubt you are pushing as many amps on 12V so as long as your PSU isnt badly worn, it will be ok.