5700x & B550 TUF

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by DigitalZombie, May 15, 2022.

1. DigitalZombie

DigitalZombie New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5700XT Pulse
    Hey everyone! I just got a new 5700x few days ago to replace my old 2700x and I'm facing a really annoying issue:

PC Specs are as follows:
    CPU: 5700x ( Brand new )
    GPU: 5700XT Pulse
    Mobo: TUF Gaming B550 Plus ( Few months old )
    M2: Adata SP8200 Pro
    Storage: Seagate HDD
    Running all the latest drivers & bios version 2803

Problem is that I cannot boot under PCIe Gen4 setting for the GPU top slot. Nothing works, not auto mode, not manual set mode, nothing. After switching to the bottom slot and manually switching to Gen3 , PC boots up and runs totally fine. What can be the issue here? It's been 4 days already and I don't know what else I can do. I've been through all the known troubleshoot options and nothing works.
    So long story short, PC won't boot under PCIe Gen4 no matter what. Motherboard LEDs just keep shuffling from top to bottom.
    TIA!

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    riser cable?
    bios updated?

3. Calenhad

Calenhad Active Member

GPU:
    MSi 3080ti Suprim X
    Have you reseated the cpu and inspected the pins while you're at it?

Your old cpu was pcie 3.0 so this could in theory be a faulty motherboard as well.

I assume you have done clear cmos and load defaults since you said known troubleshooting options have been done.

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    The bios most likely thinks the old cpu is still installed. Need to clear the non volatile memory section to clear all the old info out. Short of shorting the pins and puling the battery, all it should take is to flash the updated bios using the dedicated bios flash usb slot, it if has it.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    bios's since the mid 2000's have detected cpuid change.

6. DigitalZombie

DigitalZombie New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5700XT Pulse
    Fault mobo in terms of what? I only have it for a few months. It detected the new CPU instantly, everything works totally fine, I'm getting good benchmark numbers and all that. Unless it's something stuck in the bios that won't reset. I really can't think of anything else. I've seen on MSI's forum that some users have this issue too on MSI boards so I'm guessing it's a bios related issue? Thanks for the help!

tunejunky likes this.
  7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Thanks did not know that

8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    was your old mobo pcie 4.0 and if so did it detect the Pulse?

the reason i ask is it is the oldest piece in your system and is (mathematically) more likely to have a failure such as a broken solder trace.
    IDK if you have any friends with other pcie 4.0 gpus, but if you do it's worth a beer & pizza bribe to borrow theirs to run as a control to see if it's the mobo (unlikely but possible) or the gpu (possible but i hope i'm wrong).

9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    have you tried moving the m.2 drive in the lower m.2 ?(the chipset connected one)

10. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    Clear the CMOS:
    - Turn off the PC
    - Remove the power cable from the PSU or turn off the PSU power switch
    - Press the start button to discharge the PSU
    - Short the pins with a jumper
    - Remove the jumper
    [​IMG]

If it still fails:

- Remove the NVMe SSD and try to boot without it.
    - Remove the CPU, look if the pins are OK and make sure the cooler is applying homogeneous pressure.
    - Unplug and re-plug the cables.

tunejunky likes this.

11. brickman45

brickman45 Member

GPU:
    Asus tuff 3060
    Hi, just had the same problem, its a setting in Bios under pci slot power, you need to enable it.

tunejunky likes this.
  12. brickman45

brickman45 Member

GPU:
    Asus tuff 3060
    Had the same exact issue...had to drop to bottom slot on Asus tuff gaming. went into bios, (took a bit to find right setting), PCI bus or PCI slot power, it was disabled.
    I enabled, saved and exit and moved back to top slot, everything has worked since then. No more graphics error on Qled light during boot.

tunejunky likes this.