5700 XT Red Devil - not sure whats going wrong, please help.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Lickeh, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Lickeh

Lickeh New Member

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Devil
    Hi all,

I am hoping you guys can help. I have just built a brand new system and I have having a number of issues with my 5700 XT Red Devil.

The main issues are firstly when I run a game I am getting a really high pitched multi tone noise coming from the card which sounds like some 8-bit game/dial up modem. The only way I have ben able to semi stop this is to cap the framerate to 144 or below in the radeon software but it doesnt go completely and surely I shouldnt have to do that?

I don't know how well you can hear on the video but it is making the noise and then halfway through I am loading the benchmark under Rainbow Six Seige and it gets much louder and different tones:
    https://imgur.com/a/XqaUD22

Secondly and equally as important, when I am running a game (at the moment tested Rainbow Six Seige and Borderlands Pre-Sequal) the game is very choppy and stuttering. My old nVidia 750ti run everything smoothly which should be a pile of junk in comparison.

I have a completely clean install of Windows 10 using the latest drivers 19.12.1 and this is without any other software running other than Steam/Ubisoft to launch the games. Radeon software is running defaults (except when testing the framerate lock to 144fps)

My specs are:
    Powercolor Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Devil 8GB
    Ryzen 5 3600x (stock speeds)
    MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (latest bios)
    Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 16GB 3600 MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 (XMP on)
    Corsair RMi Series RM650i 650W '80 Plus Gold'
    MSI MAG241CR 144hz monitor (freesync enabled)
    WD Black 500GB SN750 M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E Gen3
    WD 1TB SSD - Blue 3D NAND 2.5"

The bios is on optimised defaults with the only changes being enabling XMP and setting the Cool n Quiet to enabled from auto.

The video card is plugged into my PSU with a single cable controlling both 6+2 ports( I have read that 2 maybe should be used but Corsairs forum states that 1 is designed for that purpose and will be fine).

I am now not sure if it is a fault card or something else I need to change to get this to work properly. It has been many years since I have had a nice card to use so taking all advice on settings for everything to ensure this is setup correctly. I am a bit of a loss as to what settings should be enabled both in the radeon software and in game. Should I be using freesync? The radeon software recommends a number of settings but should I have vertical refresh off, always on, enchaned? Lots of settings but no obvious explination as to what they do.

I am hoping someone can help me. I don't want to have to return it, I was looking forward to being able to finally game without everything looking like minecraft.

Thank you.

EDIT: forgot to add running 1920x1080 @ 144hz with everything highest settings (reducing during testing for noise).

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Hmm coil whine perhaps but it shouldn't be that bleeping loud, would do a RMA because while the cards (Well any GPU really.) can get coil whine particularly at higher framerates it shouldn't be something that noisy so I wouldn't tolerate it and thus the card gets replaced.

This is a thing unfortunately though, you're not fixing that. (Wish I could say otherwise but it's true and there's no real way around it far as I'm aware at least.)

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-12-1
    This improves the issue it does not fix it the card still clocks erratically often very low thus stuttering and irregular frame pacing due to frame times and framerate being all over while the GPU is doing that. It's a pain in the ass honestly and you're hitting every single criteria for getting the worst of it with games like Pre-Sequel doing D3D9 together with 1080p and on a high-refresh display (144Hz.) where dips to low values will completely shatter any perception of smoothness?

How low? Well it kinda varies but the GPU occasionally dips all the way down to idle which is a amazingly terrible 6 to 30 Mhz clock speed and then up and down sometimes to minimum sometimes to lower.
    Raising min clocks in Wattman doesn't do anything (Nor should it be needed.) raising min voltage in Wattman can help a little bit (Shouldn't be needed though, it's a unwanted behavior and it needs to be fixed.) but now the card uses a higher voltage meaning it'll be a little bit hotter and you're trying to circumvent a issue that needs a proper fix plus it will still drop framerate it won't resolve the problem fully.

EDIT: So at 1080p the GPU will dip to around min speeds far as 3D is concerned but if it's D3D9 it'll dip almost down to idle even after this driver improved it the issue does still happen and even if it's improved it still dips to very low values.

Heavy fluctuations to framerate such as hitting below 100 or lower even if it's for a shorter time period will still completely wreck frame times and the pacing and overall smooth gameplay so yeah it's a big problem.

3. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    It's a good card (EDIT: The GPU hardware side that is.) but the issues and driver situation are what they are and unless Adrenaline 2020 as the new imminent release driver starts really working down the issues then don't chance on it get the GPU returned and either pick a 2060 or higher from NVIDIA or a 580 from AMD and then something better when the newer cards are out next year.

That's about my suggestion, you could chance and wait on the driver situation but the RMA and return time is also a thing and so that could be a important factor as well for having a enjoyable experience NOW and not later at some completely unknown future time frame. :)

EDIT: Factoring in the high refresh rate, 1080p resolution and the way the card operates for earlier games or even anything less demanding (So at 1080p that's almost everything.) that is, up to you but that's how I see it and my opinion on the situation.

Could try AMD VSR and do 4x so instead of 1920x1080 you're using 3840x2160 and downsampling but it's still working around a problem and might not always be a desirable "solution" nor might all games scale well plus other issues with downsampling and using workarounds for issues until they get properly fixed but it's been a thing since the cards came out and now it's almost six months so that also factors into why I would go for a return if it's not behaving as expected.

2070 or the newer 2070S from NVIDIA might cost a bit more and then on AMD well it's the 580 and models of that or perhaps the slightly faster kinda overclocked 590 perhaps the Vega depending on price and availability.

5700 / 5700 XT it has the hardware but the software situation it just needs work, I can recommend it as a good GPU but can't really say I'm impressed with the way some of the still ongoing issues are a thing five months on and counting.
    (EU gives like what a two week open return process so that's not really a long time for waiting on a software fix for the drivers and US and elsewhere well whatever terms and conditions apply.)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  4. Lickeh

Lickeh New Member

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Devil
    Thank you for you reply.

The noise is really quite loud. I can hear it clearly with the case closed over everything else.

I am assuming that isn't normal behaviour for the card and should RMA it.

Would it be worth going for something like the 1660ti/super seeing as I am mostly gaming on 1080? Not sure if the monitor I have would work with gsync though.

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
  6. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT/290X
    The noise if coil whine will increase with higher FPS, so try enabling and disabling V-Sync in a game and see if it gets quieter
    You should also run two separate power cables to the card, factors come into play like wire gauge for power delivery and grounding.

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yeah the voltage spikes and higher transients or how it was called for power draw makes it very discouraged to use 1x 8-pin to 2x 6-pin split PSU power cables even if the GPU technically pulls less power on average than earlier models before let's see the 225w cap that such a split could carry if the PSU has a strong enough rail for it but if it's something like that chances are the PSU would already come with multiple 6 or 8 pin cables or a single strong rail and there would likely be no need for a split cable like that.

EDIT: It doesn't quite do the same as Ryzen CPU's can but it's still something to consider and also applies for undervolting where it would draw well below the 225w total just to mention it. :)

EDIT: Still a lot I don't know about the 5700's though or Navi in general, so many changes in hardware and the drivers, trying to learn but a lot of it is also pretty high level that I can barely get the basics of if even that.

So much to learn, entire power play thing is different or gone and there's SMU it seems to be called instead mentioned here and there in various Linux kernel code commits and snippets.
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.5-AMD-Navi-Overclocking

Fully free floating clock states instead of the former P levels and some intricate complex method to the way these scale not just for the GPU limits (Thermals, power.) but also in relation to CPU and other bottlenecks and then this power delivery system and the various issues though they're improving in newer drivers both on Windows and Linux.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  8. Lickeh

Lickeh New Member

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Devil
    I am actually in the process to changing the PSU just awaiting delivery.

It would appear on uncapped frame rates hitting above my monitor refresh rate 144hz it causes the noise. I can hear it coming from both the PSU and GPU but the real screachy noise is coming from the PSU. I am running two seperate PCIe power cables and reinstalled using the latest Adrenaline 2020 package. It does appear to be slightly less noisy than before but the PSU is still screaching under load.

Changing to a Super Flower Leadex III 750W to see if that makes any difference before swapping the GPU.

9. Wolf9an9

Wolf9an9 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 Gaming
    Switch V-sync on in games to cap the refresh rate at 144Hz (or lower) and that would probably get rid of the coil whine completely

10. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    Good choice of PSU. I too have The Red Devil 5700 XT and it's a great card once you find the right drivers. I was this close to returning the bloody thing. However since a few drivers ago I can now game perfectly. Good luck I hope it works out.

11. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    May be some interference. Like in my setup. Was all fine until I took out my radeon7 to repaste, now I have coil whine going through speakers(when they on, not enabled in windows, just on) while gaming. Always had some whine, fury, 1080 gaming x, or later rad7, but was almost not audible.
    I have creative ae7 card, so audio for headphones is not affected. But speakers, geez....
    And ofc any try using cases audioport gives buzzing/whine whatever I use, speakers or headphones...

12. sidi0us

sidi0us Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    The coil noise is there as well for me (also Red Devil), it's because the framerate is too high, I only noticed it when I load a game and the fps is like over 1000 and only with vsync disabled or enhanced sync enabled, otherwise in game is fine.
    Had about the same experience, went from a GTX 1080 to 5700 XT so I can use freesync for reducd input lag, for the last weeks I've tried to get rid of stuttering and tearing, almost gave up and wanted to sell the card. Even bought 3733 CL17 ram to boost the min frames which helped quitet a bit (Ryzen 3600 with 3000 CL15 before).

I've tried pretty much everything, new W10 1909, lots of registry tweaks, disabled fullscreen optimizations, driver settings... Yesterday I've played all day with nvidia pendulum g-sync demo and noticed that I get really bad stuttering If I enable vsync and move the object very fast (1000Hz polling rate mouse), the moment I disable vsync, everything is fine, in the demo at least. When I play games without vsync though, I get tearing in the bottom part of the screen (only after adrenalin 19.11.2), and with vsync on I have bad stuttering.

In the end I got it down to my monitor, an LG 23MP68VQ, 75 Hz, used CRU to expand the FreeSync range so that the minimum is half the max, default is 40-75 Hz, ended up with 37-75 Hz, it works up until 33-75 but I don't know the consequences in the long term usage.

The way I play games now is this:
    - turn off everything from adrenalin (using the latest 19.12.2) from the general tab, also automatic updates from system. No game profiles and standard global graphics.
    - disable all amd related tasks from task scheduler (search it in start menu), with this I can get rid off amdow.exe (overlay), AMDRSServ.exe and RadeonSoftware.exe on windows start-up.
    - in games enable vsync and cap the fps to 70 (or 3-5 fps lower then your monitor refresh rate) using rtss or built-in one if provided. (Tried chill with 60-70 min/max also 70 both and has more input lag then rtss, which is weird)

Input lag is like this for me, no frame cap (tearing) > built-in (70) > rtss (70) > chill (70) > vsync only. If I use vsync with frame caps within the freesync window (37-75 in my case), lag is the same as without it enabled.

The hardware is fine, but the software is no go, better performance then the GTX1080, but way too much tinkering. After all this time, I'm wondering if it would've been better to just buy a g-sync monitor and run it with my old card...