5700 XT racehorse on seditives ???

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Sebastian Lachmann, Nov 17, 2019.

1. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT
    5700xt base frequency is 1605Mhz. Game frequeency is 1755MHz. Boost is 1905 MHz under some contitions. Above that is very rare. In order to achive more than 1905 and I dont think is needed, you have to set the clocks higher and power limit at 50%. Also temp and gpu usage is a factor to achive 1905+.

5700xt is adjusting its frequency all the time. Dont expect contant frequency boost.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  2. Sebastian Lachmann

Sebastian Lachmann Member

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    Ok ignore the frequency issue, it seems I got wrong information. The tool they provide says other supposed frequency's than it actually should get.

3. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT
    Reference or not 5700xt has a mind of its own. In bfv on some circumstances it doesnt clock more than 750mhz. No company can quarantee the boost frequency and usualy is 100-150mhz bellow the max. Maybe this will get improved with later drivers.

Sebastian Lachmann likes this.
  4. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti
    That's just.... stupid of them what'd they delete all your emails. I'm not doubting you; I believe you I'm just saying it's poor service.
    That confuses me; since part of your reported issues contain...
    • "massive FPS drops in some making them unplayable"
    • "It goes down to like 50 mhz or even lower sometimes"
      • Now this part is weird I'm surprised ASUS didn't go ok we have a problem lets offer to replace your video card if we won't acknowledge this
    • fear of hardware damage...
    • "My card never even boosts,... Not even during benchmarking"
      • Has to boost eventually unless your temps are god awful.. but I think we went over that already you have good thermals...
    I really would try sending in your card submitting the above and more with as much as the RMA character-limit will allow and trying your luck at a Warranty replacement from ASUS. It's the least they owe you & if it does nothing sell it and be done with RX 5700 XT ?

5. Sebastian Lachmann

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    Well I decided to give them a chance to find out the issue, even if it seems a bit of a wonky approach of them.

I have 2 years of warranty and reported this to my supplier, I said if in a few months still the games do not work properly because of the power saving I will send it in because it's not functioning stable how it should.

I wanted this card, it is on the sweet spot regarding to price/performance in 1440P max settings for all my games so I can probably use it for 5 years or so.

6. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti
    *shrugs* Yeah I mean I dunno I thought it isn't working in your case? Are you able to actually play games with it?

7. Sebastian Lachmann

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    Yes of course :) Otherwise I would have sent it back the 1st day I got it. It's just in these games that the card makes trouble.

K.S. likes this.
  8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yeah the bios settings and what you get from that and the defaults in Wattman has the GPU boosting up to 2100 and near full voltage landing around 2000 and slightly lower voltage from that max target.
    But the GPU adjusts itself from all kinds of factors and limiting issues or bottlenecks which is how I set the manual clock speeds and voltages after observing the GPU's performance in various games though the defaults do differ somewhat in older drivers compared to newer ones and the driver issues also means some games just causes the GPU to throttle more than others even if there's no immediate obvious problem such as thermals or voltage or CPU which seems it can also cause the clocks to drop pretty sharply.

Hopefully the launch of the 5500's and the upcoming rumored higher-end Navi 10 based cards means better drivers can at least resolve the software situation better but until then it's kinda tricky to get the GPU to pull full speeds and just like Vega it tends to be a little bit below max boosts by 50 to 100 Mhz even if you really lower the max allowed clocks completely eliminating that bottleneck. :)
    (IE I can hit around 1900 when the card is doing well so setting it to 1800 which should be no issue at all but now the card is doing 1750 so that's a thing too for setting manual clock values via Wattman.)

In a way it kinda feels like AMD is pushing out the 5700 and now with the 5500's launching fully in a week or so perhaps the December drivers will show some improvements although I expect it will be the January or February drivers that see more code related fixes and tweaks and less of this yearly feature stuffed driver potentially also needing some work in later driver updates.
    (Or rather that AMD did push out the 5700 a bit ahead of the software being fully ready though early snags are to be expected since it shifted from GCN to RDNA as well.)

Halo Anniversary or well Halo Reach for tomorrow and Red Dead Redemption 2 on Steam for the 5th perhaps some other titles as well for early December so chances are 19.12.1 will be a title support release and 19.12.2 will be the bigger feature driver. Hopefully most of the issues and quirks can also be sorted out in software for Navi and it won't need some hardware tuning or Navi 20 whatever this will change and RDNA2 and hopefully less initial launch hiccups and not for five months though the situation is kinda weird since it's a mix of working fine (With some variance in clock speeds and the known driver issues.) and outright broken to where it's borderline unusable or needs the older drivers to work reasonably well at all.

9. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT
    New Drivers are available, time to test this 1080p issue that is mention that is fixed.

K.S. likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

11. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT
    Drivers 19.12.1 seems to fix the stuttering. I test BFV and is much better. Stuttering now seems to come from the game and not the card. Even with render ahead turn off the game is playable now. Downclocking is still happening but with more stable higher clocks.

12. Sebastian Lachmann

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    Hello guys,

Lot's of new drivers lately, sadly no solution for the issues I experience in the 2 games I mentioned.

Neither does watman work, if you set a minimum frequency it still get's ignored.

I said I would let you all know when I get news back from Asus.

Today they confirmed that the drivers are bugged for some older dx9 games and the 5700XT.

- causing these FPS drops and much to low core frequency to play stable

Still no news about why watman does not work, neither does the new game profile setting work where you can set the minimum frequency of the card in %

I gues it's also broken,... Looks nice though :/

Using driver 19.12.2 now.

On advise of Asus I will also try to contact the Game Publishers so things could get solved more swiftly.

I game on 1440P @ 144Hz and maximum game settings.

connos and K.S. like this.
  13. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti
    Odd, that's kind of their job lol I hope they pay you..

14. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT
    Keep us updated

15. Sebastian Lachmann

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    Hello all,

So in the meantime AMD said I should send back my card to the manufacturer.

Today I got my money back from my reseller,...

So I assume the card was somehow defective.

Very hard to tell in my case.

I'm glad I got rid of it to be honest, still seeying so much driver issues and for me it's been months now.

Thanks to all for troubleshooting / advice / information