5700 XT racehorse on seditives ???

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Sebastian Lachmann, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Know the feeling) I like my card, but the software does drag things down at times. Things should be improving. Unless specific to your model, maybe ASUS will fix some things with AMD.

2. Sebastian Lachmann

Sebastian Lachmann Member

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    So just trow the system of power saving out or make it optional via the driver setting like Nvidia does,... My card can definitly handle my problem games, even my 4 year old card could. It's just the throttling that brakes gameplay, hell it does not even need to boost, if it would just stay on stock speeds it is more than enough,...

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yeah that would resolve the second problem of it momentarily dipping into lower clock speeds but the other issue where it goes idle is from something else as well possibly waiting though the limitation of the GPU going idle for extensive periods has been a issue with GCN for a long time as a problem with the architecture and what's required to keep it active and optimizing for it's utilization and requirements.

Navi doesn't have the same limits though there's a chance that when it does idle the clock speeds don't so much drop as they completely stall thus why monitoring software will display very low values if they register at all (~100 Mhz or lower.) so there's a possibility that forcibly keeping the higher clock speeds could alleviate some of the stuttering from when the GPU has to re-adjust the clock speeds up again if nothing else.

D3D9 would point towards CPU and a single threaded API in addition to the lower workload unless forced via downsampling or other means though the problems with D3D11 and a few titles that's a tougher one since it happens even for users with CPU's such as the 3900X so while AMD doesn't utilize multi-threading as effectively for D3D11 as they could potentially do even a fast CPU with both performance and the core count and threading capabilities for when it does matter could still hit issues in some of these games.

It's all speculative though until AMD has a fix or some info or more details on the nature of the problem are available and where the divide between how the GPU clocks down from a lower workload and how it decides to go idle from what seems to be having no workload at all and whatever is causing this problem.
    (It's also problematic as it feels like the game or driver either froze or crashed and if it persists for too long it will crash as Windows and TDR kicks in and resets the driver as it assumed it had crashed because it was timing out too long.)

Still trying to find info on it and more details but there's not much to go with and the same few suggestions and ways to try and force a higher GPU workload are repeated over and over. :)
    Theoretically moving the first slider in Wattman for minimum clock should already do this and maintain if desired a static clock speed but the card will still adjust itself seemingly ignoring the minimum state value entirely though voltages could apply and for when it goes from merely dropping clock speeds to idling it will hit the same 10Mhz to 100Mhz speeds or simply not show anything at all while it's waiting on standby.
    (D3D9 and the single thread nature of this API simply not feeding the GPU fast enough or having some other issue that could be one possibility but the various affected D3D11 titles and even on high-end CPU's that's something as well.)

Difficult to say though the way the GPU is quickly throttling down during lower workloads could do with being somewhat configurable and might at least mitigate extreme performance swings and resulting stuttering but there's no more P states so it's not possible to simply lock one in place as the minimum allowed level of performance as before nor can the min sliders in Wattman for Navi really affect how the GPU seemingly scales when the clock speeds do drop to lower values than around the boost state.

Well the drivers need work I'm guessing is what it eventually comes down to, I am hardware limited myself from the older CPU and RAM particularly but the card still scales well in most situations though this and the random crashes are two remaining issues that I hope to see resolved as soon as possible.

EDIT: Yeah that's stating the obvious there's a list of known issues that sorta clearly hints at the drivers needing some work after all and that's just a part of the reported problems in the newer AMD driver releases.

4. Sebastian Lachmann

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    Yes indeed, best is also to report this always to AMD, subvender and dealer,... Lot's of people just go to forums but that does not get the attention to repair things in some cases.

5. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT
    AMD has this in the known issues:
    Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products may experience stutter in some games at 1080p and low game settings.

It doesnt matter if the card downclocks as long as it doesnt stutter. Currently it does. There is currently no way to avoid it and its very aggresive as it reacts in miliseconds to the cards load and sometimes the card has nothing to do. DX12, Vulkan game engines seems better. Fortnite dx12 update helped a lot. I can now see higher sustain clocks, no stuttering, higher fps. People should stop saying that its a hardware problem. Its not. It happends with all the 5700 cards on low gpu usage, usually under 70%. BFV for example with all settings low and gpu render ahead off clocks are 750mhz.

6. Sebastian Lachmann

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    I'm 1440P on 144Hz maximum settings.

7. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT
    In what games you have problems?

8. Sebastian Lachmann

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    Most problems I have with games I have installed now (I have a large library) are in :

- TC GH Wildlands - rarely a FPS drop but very playbable
    - The Witcher 3 : rarely a FPS drop but very playbable
    - CS GO - small FPS drops now and than at the start of round in some maps but very playable
    - Depth - Large FPS drops in some maps unplayable / gameplay braking
    - Primal Carnage Extinction : Extreme FPS drops in some maps and unplayable in some maps

For the rest the games I have currently installed work without issues however I have lot's of them and play them randomly, when I finish 1 offline game I go the next mostly.

Please read the tread,... 1st page.

9. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    When running a benchmark what clocks do your card go up to?

For my RX 5700 I can run 181x Mhz and get it to stay within 20mhz of that while running firestrike

witcher 3 runs 90 to 100fps and the only stutters/drops in the game are in the engine and same on nvidia

if i lock a game to 60fps then the card drops but not excessively and stays stable

10. Pinni

Pinni New Member

GPU:
    AMD MS 5700XT Evoke
    I had this exact problem with my 5700xt when I purchased it. I had no problems with my 5700xt until I upgraded my motherboard and installed the MSI dragon centre software.

All of a sudden it would lag and stutter and drop the core clocks back to idle. The. Boost up for a split second then drop back to idle clocks. It was doing my head in. Then I noticed one of the utilities I had installed was trying to over ride the AMD drivers power settings.

I spent ages looking for the fix, over locking helped. But from one boot up to the next it would be ok and then unusable.

Finally narrowed it down to the MSI dragon centre utlilty which was trying to keep the entire system in low power modes.

Uninstalled the utility and BAM, my blazing fast card was back!

Worth looking for any utilities that have control of motherboard functions or power states as they play tug of war with the 5700xt's core and memory clocks and looks like the card is going into protection modes. If you look carefully you will notice that the card never reaches any thresholds to trigger this and it is a software clash.

One boosts it up for gaming and the other after seeing the clocks rise, resets them to idle.

Hope this helps, seen it on a few 5700 systems now. Can also just appear as SEVERE stuttering.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the 1080p issue has nothing to do with 3rd party software.

12. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT
    I format my pc intall only chipset and graphic drivers and it still stutters and downclocks.

13. Sebastian Lachmann

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    I do not know, I do not use any monitoring while doing benchmarks. I do know the maximum I reach is around 1950Mhz. However it's supposed to be minimum 2004 mhz.

My card factory OC does not even work,...

14. Sebastian Lachmann

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    I tryed benchmarking today, no 3rd party software active, still can not reach any of the advertised frequency's, not even the minimum it's supposed to work on when I put it on factory OC mode.

However Asus is aware of the issue and sent it to the r&d team to be solved.

15. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC
    Interesting... any further updates yet?

16. Sebastian Lachmann

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    Nah, it hase been just a few working days.

I'll let you guys know what comes out of it.

Maddness and K.S. like this.
  17. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC
    :)

18. Sebastian Lachmann

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    So today I got contacted by asus r&d team.

- They ask again to explain what the issue is with games :/

- The no blu ray movie corruption error is fixed from driver 19.5 / it's true, it's fixed for APU's :/ I do not have a APU,...

- Regarding to no boost frequency they answer : it's normal that it does not work, it works only under certain conditions ?!

So why do they even advertise boost frequency's when it will never work in real life ?

Thank god for premium asus support, would not know what to do without them :/

K.S. likes this.
  19. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT
    What frequency's do you expect to hit?

The card clocks it self base on gpu load. This is how 5700 curently works. And I am saying currently because even in game there is not any guarantee frequency. Maybe this behavior will change in the future to avoid the stuttering or maybe we will be able to control it with wattman.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  20. Sebastian Lachmann

GPU:
    Asus 5700 XT
    Well they advertise 2035Mhz boost, I'm ok with it that it does not run on that the whole time when doing a benchmark or gaming without FPS limit but I do not get even get close, it maxes out around 1950 Mhz and does not even stay on that,... There is nothing holding back the card, none of my other other components get used 100% and the games/benchmarks have multi-core support.