5600x high temp and water loop questions

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Shagula, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 Ulltra
    This is my machine currently and the direction the coolant is flowing. I was happy with it all when I had a 3600x but now with the 5600x @ 4.85ghz I’m seeing CPU temps that are higher than I’d like. My 3080 has a 450w bios on it and in the last week its temp has ranged from 23-55c, the 5600x is 35-76c. It’s currently 30c outside today and my cpu is idling at 55c. Could my 3080 be heating the cpu up more because the cpu is directly after it in the loop? Would I potentially see lower temps if I reversed the coolant direction to go through the 2 rads first and then into the cpu? Also another random water cooling question. Does it matter for the rads and blocks if I use the out flow port as an in flow and vice versus for the other one? It would be easy to just lie the reservoir down with the top facing the gpu and pump end going straight up to the first rad and not change any of the rest of the tubing

Thanks in advance for any advice 7086D181-D4B8-45C7-9ABE-2970A630A595.jpeg

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    dafuq
    450w card runs 20 cooler than a 65w six core ?
    something is not right,for sure.

maybe the card needs a separate loop ? 450w is like running two overclocked 1080s in sli.

3. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 Ulltra
    I’ve reseated the cpu block twice with no change. My 3600x didn’t get hot in the same setup though. I might just take the block off and use the stock air cooler and see what temps I get with that

KissSh0t likes this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    strange.
    I know 5000 series is a toaster but never thought it's that damn hot.
    maybe it's the voltages

stock cooler will tell you nothing,it's gonna thermal throttle the 5600x all the time.
    try checking the voltages,if they're fine then you just have to accept it tbh.

5. ocsystem

ocsystem Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI1070Ti
    try separate water cooler for both. Dont think one setup is enough.

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT/3080Ti
    Your hitting the GPU first with the loop. I would switch that and hit the CPU first after the water has passed through both radiators that way the CPU will be getting the coldest water to it first and then go to the GPU and back to the radiators.

Might help, when I had a loop on just a GTX1080 and a 7700K the GPU added a ton of heat to the loop. I only had a single 360 rad though. But CPU temps went up by a good 15C if I remember correctly due to the added heat from the GPU.

Remember GPU's are basically direct to the die cooling where as CPU has a IHS so GPU's love water cooling. I had a 1080Ti also but on a single 140mm AIO using a Kraken bracket from NZXT and whilst it worked great. The amount of heat coming off that 140mm AIO was immense. It heated my room during heavy gaming no problem. So much so I disabled the radiator in my room.

7. cat

cat Member

GPU:
    xfx6800xt319
    I have a similar configuration, 5600x on idle 30c on load max 62 cinebench in game max 56c.
    both cpu and gpu is maximally overclocked 5600x 4.660 all core 4.800 single boost.
    6800xt with no limits max temp 44c hotspot 70c.
    I would check the bios settings in your place!

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  8. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
  9. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 Ulltra
    [​IMG] I solved my heat issues by changing the loop. Pump to 360 to 240 to Cpu to Gpu back to pump. Running cinebench and cyberpunk together maxing both the gpu and cpu I’m getting load temps of 58c on the gpu and 60c on the cpu, fans maxed. Inside the house it’s currently 20c so I’m really happy with these numbers now. Just need to get rid of the bubbles in the loop and some compression extensions so I can fit 2 more fans on the 240 and my build is doooone

edit had the wrong temps there, read the wrong sensor

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021