55nm GTX 260 uses MORE POWER & puts out MORE HEAT.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by biggerx, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    i think you guys arn't getting the real idea.... a smaller heatsink does not mean a GPU runs hotter, it means the heatsink is not as effective, for a card to run HOTTER then another card, then you'd need the same GPU heatsink on both cards, and then see which one runs hotter, the 55nm, will not, run hotter, it's impossible, and by far will not use more power

That's like saying a AMD 6000+ 90nm vs a AMD 6000+ 65nm CPU runs cooler, cause you have this massive non-stock heatsink on the 90nm while you have the stock cooler on a 65nm, ofcourse the 65nm will be hotter, however, the 90nm is producing more heat, hence, in the same heatsinks, would be hotter

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    Who cares? It should overclock better than the 65nm part which means better performace. That is all that matters. Saving 10watts is nothing...seriously if it is to you then you need to get priorities in line because you can't afford computer hardware to begin with.

3. errorrrr

errorrrr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670

I think YOU aren't getting he real idea... the 55nm PROCESSOR doesn't run hotter, but the CARD runs hotter. That's a fact according to the test. The heatsink is part of the whole card... they dont' just sell you chips you know... You pay for A WHOLE video card, not just a GTX260 processor... hence it's POSSIBLE that the 55NM card ON A WHOLE runs hotter than a 65NM card. what's so hard to understand? nobody is saying the 55nm core runs hotter than 65nm core, people are saying the 55nm CARD runs hotter which is a fact due to the crappier heatsink I guess.

4. Steven-1979

Steven-1979 Member

GPU:
    260 GTX @ 756/1512/1296
    good poin. Who cares about whether the card runs hotter as a whole. If you're in this forum, if you're smart enough to be discussing 55nm vs 65nm, chances are you're going to be overclocking. Thats like debating whether overclocking a 65nm quad is better than a 45nm quad and discussing the stock cooler as if it is of any relevance. If you OC to a point where heat generation will matter, get aftermarket cooling. End of story.

5. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    4 phase power converters would probably be less (overall) efficient, but should lead to better clocking. Sounds interesting...maybe it's time to volt mod my G92 to keep up ; )

Lex
    (Superman fried his G92 volt modding it and had to buy a new video card : )

6. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    wait for hilberts review. really the only articles I read besides maybe anandtech

7. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    The funny part is some people still consider Toms Hardware Guide as a reputable review site....haha. Are they not aware of the large sums of money given to the site to show gains with hardware to increase sales? Some people will believe anything they see on the internet.

I also think AnAndTech is one of the best review sites out there, they've been around for like 10 years.

8. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Come on fellas, use your common sense... A die shink MUST result in a lower power usage - thus less heat production. EVERY die shrink has produced this. The only thing that would produce equal or more power usage/ heat would be overclock - this IS a good thing.

The 9800+ did have higher clocks, so the 260+ and 280+ will have the same also.

PS: Wait for Guru3d review!!! :D

9. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I agree. Tom's reviews always have some unanswered questions at the end but anantech goes to some lengths to answer these q's.

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    oh hell if my card does not come today i'll want money back.
    wtf i spent 40 bucks for two day air and its listed on my tracking as 5day ground,plus the fact i paid 25 bucks more then they have the card listed at now.
    i'm bitching already and did not even get the card yet....not a good sign.

11. Rillipiru

Rillipiru Master Guru

GPU:
    660 ti 2GB
    I just got a Gainward limited edition 260 GTX 216 and OC´d it 738/1522/2240 with no problems @ all...

Maybe it helps, that i live in Finland and we got like -15 c degrees outside and roomtemp is something like +20 c (case is on the floor, near the back door...maybe some cold freeze is getting thru door insulation...?). Max temp is around 65-70 c, fan is set to 40%.

Antec 300 and pretty good airflow...i really dont need 55nm..

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  12. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    still it sucks, smaller cooler and lower cooling does what it does... i was really looking about buying it, but now i dont know anymore. That 4+2 phase looks interesting and magnetic shield around the core too, but the cooler is a mess wth where they thinking, thats the worst $$ saving ever :3eyes:...

13. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    guess a few of you will be waiting for Rev2 with a better cooler eh ... other brands might have a better cooler right off the hop.

14. nichtganz

nichtganz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N670 PE 2GD5 GTX 670
    i bought a 55nmfor this computer, probably gonna throw my current gtx 260 in my other pc. That review looks like total horse crap, the card was either overclocked or running under a diffrent configuration.

15. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    yeah i hear that,my two 216's go about the same or faster here in nj...so its not just finland lol.

its not worth it i can tell you now if you all ready have a 260 or 216 card.
    i'm going to wait to step up to 2 285's.
    i'll step up the 55mn i have coming to somthing else.

16. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    Well, I bought a HIS 4870 512MB on Boxing Day, it was $230 Canadian, was debating on the 260's, debating on waiting for the 55nm, then realizing if I was going to wait for the 55nm, I'd be waiting for the GTX 285....then realizing I've been waiting for a while, there is constantly new stuff around the corner, and I didn't think that going from 65nm to 55nm, as LedHed stated, would result in some massive gains.

So I should have my 4870 tomorrow! About 2-2.5x the performance of my card while using 50w less, can't wait! :banana:

On topic though, that review is bogus. Too many variables.

17. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I never use the provided cooler so this card might be a good thing for me.

18. YWAGMOTH

YWAGMOTH Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    100Watt in a complet pc with aero turned on,less 15w in idle than the old gtx260

19. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    hm good point i completely forgot about this option, but :D i always felt a bit scarred to screw something while changing or mounting the fan..

btw is there any fan for it yet?

20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    i'm sure any cooler that worked for the GTX 260 reg/core 216 will work for this card, i doubt there are any changes in the cards layout design/mounting holes