550watts ...enough?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by AKMS, Jul 11, 2015.

1. AKMS

AKMS Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980 ti
    I was going to upgrade my card only then decided to just build a new rig. According to every tdp calculator it should be enough. In my experience, it IS enough. However, I keep reading comments everywhere saying anything lower than 600w is trouble. Even the website's review recommends 600.

4790k (plan to OC to 4.4-4.5ghz @ 1.3v)
    nzxt x41
    980 ti g1 gaming (OC)
    1x SSD (ocz vertex 460)
    2x 3.5 inch seagate NAS drives.
    2x 1866mhz ram sticks @ 1.35v

I was going to throw my current 550w psu in the new rig and put a corsair CX in the old one. Should I be worried? Should I just get a new PSU?

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'd go with 750 for a safe amount of overhead, minimum.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    not every TDP calculator includes PSU degradation over time,heat and another factors.
    more,as Bleh told you PSU is better to run at 50-60 % of its power with desired overhead for overclocking or adding another component in the long run. Running a PSU at its almost full capacity is never a good thing.
    Unwritten rule is never,never skimp on the PSU.

4. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    I have similar hardware (only difference is I have a couple of SSDs in place of one of your HDDs). Although I have a 700W PSU, I have it attached to a UPS which gives me real time power usage. I have NEVER seen it go above 450W - and that's with a Dell 3007 attached (~80-90W load). Remember that's at the wall and the PSU is supposed to be 80-90% efficient off the top of my head, so the system is actually pulling ~290-320W.

So, in summary, I'd expect your rig to pull ~360W from the wall when gaming. So yes, your PSU will be fine as long as it's a good one!

5. AKMS

AKMS Member

GPU:
    Safe =/= minimum

-.-
    I'm not adding anything in the future. I forgot to mention, I'm going to use Corsair's 380T (tight fit).

Seasonic G550. It got flawless reviews everywhere, so yeah.

One more issue: I can't get a big PSU. It has to fit inside corsair's 380t case. I really do want the RM750i or the HX750i but they're too long...aren't they? I'm not even sure a Seasonic G650 would fit.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    If you had a 970 instead of a 980ti, I would say yes. With a ti I would not do it.

7. biggi_

biggi_ Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    If you want to get down to the very basics, MSI requires minimum 600W on their 980Ti. So if they say 600 min...I'd say 600 min. So no to the 550.

8. MarkLyon

MarkLyon New Member

GPU:
    2.00 GB
    The problem isn't the wattage,Most of the result have been seen 750 to be safe..
    550W is more then enough for a single setup,Get a better one.

9. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    Well...I've been using a 600 watt power supply for my 3770k and 290X 2 HD 1 SSD a sound card and 4 sticks 1.5v memory for over a year now with no problems and I am for sure that my system will be pulling a substantial amount more wattage then yours.....it will work...you won't have very much left over....but it will work. Lots of people always over inflating PSU requirements on here and so do GPU manufacturers because they have no idea if your going to buy a decent PSU or some 30 dollar 750 watt psu. Your psu has 540 watts on 12v and your system would not come close to that even if you had your gpu and cpu running at full bore and in a realistic situation that just will never happen and wattage will never even come close to 540 watts

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  10. AKMS

AKMS Member

GPU:
    Better than what?
    I made this thread hoping someone would encourage me to stick to my psu. It's too late now. I ordered an EVGA 850w which turned out to be too long for my case and now I ordered a corsair AX860. Should I return..?

11. Ghostsniper64

Ghostsniper64 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD6870
    To be fair, my previous build "needed" a 600W and I bought a 530W and it was perfectly fine. True that I made a gamble but it paid off. I have a backup power supply that reads watts being used, and even with my two monitors plugged into it as well, it's only ever hit 400W and that's while doing stress testing using benchmarking software.

You could be fine; however it's all up to you.

12. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Never hurts to get better power supplies or have a decent backup

13. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Well he has a Seasonic so it is certainly a quality unit so it would definitely try. But with an OC 4790 AND a 980Ti I just think it's just not enough tho. if it was 650 I would say go to town.

OH and the EVGA you bought, Seasonic Guts. You also need to understand that power supplies are a standard form factor(unless crack 1000W like mine then they get even loinger)
    So the Corsair is gonna be the same size as the EVGA.

14. AKMS

AKMS Member

GPU:
    I'll just use the AX and try to sell the EVGA. Where I live 1% of people know custom PCs exist so that'll be a bitch.

That ~$200 I blew on the EVGA did sting. Was going to get a 34" 21:9 monitor now I gotta wait a little.

According to PSU gurus the EVGA is every bit as good as the Seasonics and high end corsairs. I'm not an electrical engineer really I can't verify any of this. Anyway no, the EVGA is 180mm and the corsair is 160mm. The standard is width and high, not length. 180mm means I can't use the drive cage.