5400RPM HDD gaming

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by ulyxon, Jul 11, 2022.

1. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    I was mainly referring to the difference between a 5400 and 7200rpm drive, that is curious though,
    now that I look at it, there is basically no 7200 drives that are rated much above 260mb/s , whether its 4tb or 20tb.

https://www.seagate.com/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/3-5-barracudaDS1900-11-1806GB-en_GB.pdf
    https://documents.westerndigital.co...duct-brief-western-digital-wd-blue-pc-hdd.pdf
    with these you can see that the 7200 rpm models have only a modest advantage over all of the 5400rpm , all the way up to 8tb. (~210mb/s sustained write vs ~185mb/s), despite the 33% increase in speed, it only yields a 10-14% increase in actual throughput, so I think the point still stands, but the reason clearly isn't sata but something else.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    What point still stands?
    If SATA III couldnt perform well it would have shown up in SSD reviews. They perform as well as expected.
    The issue with hard drive performance figures is hard drive performance.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    that the difference between a 5400rpm and 7200rpm drive isn't as big as it used to be , due to the increases in platter density, and the presence of a limiting factor(which I assumed was sata).

if there was no limiting factor , your average high density drive should be like >3x faster than a drive from 2008.

also lets not forget what the thread is about :D

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    that is true
    I have a 5900rpm skyhawk and it's pretty fast.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I am using a WD10EARS 1TB which is 5400rpm 64mb cache sata 3 drive for just games, older game... but.. yeah.. It's fine for old games, newer games that need the speed because they stream data I put on ssd.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    Continuing off-topic flood, I can assume that asset streaming only begins in storage subsystem and then it should reach GPU VRAM which can be problematic if:
    - GPU has not much of VRAM;
    - user utilizes high resolution monitor (or several ones);
    - user cranks game settings to the top.
    In such circumstances - when all VRAM is used - game asset will find its way to GPU much slower.

7. HichamNB

HichamNB Member

GPU:
    Amd / 2gb
    gaming on hdd will give you stutter , slow loading times , and worst of them is slow texture streaming on each level of a game at beginning you will see blurry textures on your high-end gpu.

8. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    I’ve moved to SATA SSDs for bulk storage. No more jbod of 3 or 4 7200rpm drives spinning away in my case. Much quieter now.

9. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    When loading games it doesn't matter if you sequential speed is 1GB/s or 1TB/s while you get a random 4K QD1 T1 speed of 35KB/s in the best case.

10. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Some of it is bad coding on the devs part. I'm going through Control, and I have to mod it so it updates the texture streaming more aggressively in order to avoid the blurry decals when you run up to a sign or something similar.

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    how much it matters depends on the game, lots of older games optimize accesses. ie if the game pre arranges data in large contiguous blocks and uses caching then the random read performance is not as important, whereas if the game uses lots of small pieces loaded at random without caching , it will hurt performance alot.