510.06 Cuda Beta Driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by sapo_joe, Sep 2, 2021.

1. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    I think these are better called hardening than mitigations. The former often can happen without any or with a fraction of the performance penalties.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I'm only calling it as microsoft calls it.

v142 build tools with Spectre-mitigations
    [​IMG]

3. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 5850
    I disabled the microcode (bios) and windows (driver+registry) entries ones, which after testing proved to be the ones taxing performance the most.
    Anyway you're looking at about 5% ish more or less depending on the running code.
    Like @aufkrawall2 said, we're talking here severe lag, order of 1+ second in a context where we have a 5GHz CPU running full speed.
    That's hardly spectre mitigation delay.

As for windows 7, dude, Nvidia can't tell a customer hey our control panel sucks because you run windows 10 :D

I do appreciate the technical answers and research you do as a fellow tech, but for end customer and user experience, Nvidia just can't blame MS or the customer for this.
    Needs to be solved one way or another to be honest, I personally noticed this lately and thought might be a driver version bug but looks it persists as a problem for a long time now.

4. Jen1

Jen1 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 2x SLI
    Amd control panel on an intel i3-350m 2010 laptop responds faster than NVIDIA control on an i7-7820HK 2017 made laptop.

Other apps that changes NVIDIA settings responds almost immediately. It is just NVCPL that slow.

You can lie, to yourself, as much as you want, and you can use the foul language you are using as much you want (NVIDIA's employee talks in public), but that will not change the fact NVIDIA drivers and hardware are buggy and slow ....

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It started happening between 17xx and 2x0x, i don't use windows 10 as much on my other machine that i suppose i could but i know the first w10 build i used didn't do this which were either 1703 or 1709

This looks to be similar to whats happening here.
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42122615/c-dll-plugin-thread-runs-slow-on-win-10

I'll pass it along when I report it.

Manuel hasn't been very responsive this past week due to RL circumstances.

30 second profile for NvDisplay.Container.exe consisting of opening the NVCP, and switching between selections in the 3d settings list(edited)
    [​IMG]

its all Windows function delay.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Well, that took a rather large turn, sure you can decide if it's one or the other?

Drivers and hardware usually runs smooth, the control panel on the other hand is rather slow and acts like it is bugged when it has to write changes, but that part can be fixed while still making sure that the settings don't get corrupted, requires almost a complete overhaul of NVCPL though.
    Which will take some work, since it is better to build a new one from scratch than using time on converting the old one.
    But fortunate most only use it to setup their preferred global settings upon a clean driver installation, personally I rather use NvidiaInspector for individual game profiles, if I needed to adjust them.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it'd be better to optimize the waitforsingleobject and waitformultipleobjects to a minimal state in the current control panel because that seems to be where they die on windows 10.