500GB 970 EVO Plus or 1TB EVO Plus as boot drive?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by flexinho, Dec 9, 2019.

1. flexinho

flexinho Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 2060 S 8GB
    I just bought two Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD's. One with 500GB and one with 1TB.

One should be my boot drive with all my programs (like Office and uPlay) and the other one should just be used for games and all my photos, videos and music. I also will take out my WD 1TB HDD because of the noise and stop using it.

I want the SSD with the longer endurance to be my boot drive because i think that this drive will have more writes. On the other hand games are very big nowadays and one installation will write a lot in a short period of time instead of smaller writes in a longer period of time (like it would be on my boot drive with all of my programs). I am usually just installing two or three games at max that i play and then uninstall when i finish them.

I want the drives to last as long as they can. The 500GB model has 300 TBW and the 1TB has 600 TBW. Furthermore the 1TB model has higher IOPS values.

What would you advise me to do?

PS:
    Is It a problem if i install launchers like uPlay on my boot drive and install the games on my other seperate drive? Does this have any influence on loading or performance?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. Liam Onestone

Liam Onestone Member

GPU:
    Nvidia MX150 Turbo
    It is important for NVME M.2 drives to have a good cooling passive and/or active cooling if you install games on your M.2 drive.
    I think its better to install games on the Samsung 970 Plus 1 TB, I also installed uPlay on the NVME M.2 970 , but the games on the 1TB Samsung 970 Plus Ssd.

[Edit]
    There is another thread about cooling NVMe's

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Undying likes this.
  3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Its not going to matter but for the sake of your own madness I suggest you make a partition for your windows OS and another for the rest of the space.
    I make a maximum size of 100GB for the OS, often less.
    My current install has a 60GB size and I still have over 20GB free with Windows 7, but I recommend another 20GB min for windows 10.
    I only put basic things on this partition like Office, media players, compression utils, image processing tools etc.
    Anything huge like games get installed on their own drive.
    This is to make OS backup sizes small and recovery times quick. Average size with compression is around 18GB each and take approx 6 minutes to make.

I keep many backups going back many months of my OS drive and a single backup of games etc.
    Often 2 a month of the OS are made.
    Absolute godsend having small enough size to do this, its been useful a number of times.

ie Just a few days ago I went to grab a code from an email (for my sisters xmas present of RDRII to give her 25 gold bars) but could I find it?
    There were quite a few free offers that came with this game and I had deleted the wrong email.
    I quickly opened a backup from early this month and pulled my Outlook file.
    Lo and behold there was the email, phew :)

There have been much more urgent and devastating reasons to rely on recent backups that are quick to restore.
    And some more for ancient OS installs. ie to recover some gamesaves.
    Great way to have peace of mind.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  4. Liam Onestone

Liam Onestone Member

GPU:
    Nvidia MX150 Turbo
    Mind your own madness next time...…………………...MF

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Ironic.

What made you think I was replying to or referring to you?
    I didnt quote you and you didnt create the thread.

6. Liam Onestone

Liam Onestone Member

GPU:
    Nvidia MX150 Turbo
    What you wrote wasn't even a proper answer to the question flexinho asked for.
    And about madness could be for flexinho or me and his question wasn't even mad also my suggestion to him wasn't mad.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    I told him it doesnt matter which he uses and stressed something I find important.
    I included one of his requests which is whether its OK to put games on a different drive/partition.
    It had nothing to do with you.

The madness was referring to if he has an OS problem and need to spend hours re-installing or troubleshooting.
    Again, nothing to do with you.

8. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT/290X
    OK everybody its trivial now.

You both gave useful info, lets move on.

Mufflore likes this.
  9. Liam Onestone

Liam Onestone Member

GPU:
    Nvidia MX150 Turbo
    OK Mufflore I understand now what You mend , sorry for my barking , no hard feelings :)

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    ok, no problem.

11. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Dunno... Depends on how much your win10 + apps take up. I went for a 250gb 970 nvme for OS + apps, that's more than I'll ever need. I lived on a 80gb partition of my SSD as system partition for years, without much of a problem so going 250gb just means I don't have to be overly selective about things.

The games are on SATA SSDs and backup on a spinning drive.

If you go with the 500gb as your system drive but end up only using like 100gb for system, you can still install some games on that drive and the rest on the 1tb drive.

What I would have done with the same money, perhaps less, is to get a sufficient nvme drive for OS (250gb) and get 2tb of SATA SSD for games. Snappy OS and twice the space for games. Games on SATA SSD vs nvme is not going to be that much of a difference.

12. flexinho

flexinho Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 2060 S 8GB
    Thank you all for your replies. They were very helpful for me.

I decided to use the 500GB drive as a boot drive and for all programs and the 1TB drive for all multimedia and gaming stuff.

@metagamer

I picked a 500GB drive because it was a good deal and regarding the bigger drive: I never could fill up any 1TB drive that i used in my whole life even closely, so i see no need in a 2TB drive. Furthermore the 250GB has lower endurance and endurance is important for me (even if SSD's last longer than we think).

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    My current setup is a 500GB 970 EVO (OS/Apps) + Intel 660p 2TB (Games) + 860 EVO SATA 1TB (storage + torrents)

Considering prices on 1TB, I would get 1TB for the OS.

14. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    if you mean nvme, sure, if you need 1tb, go for it. Otherwise it's just money down the toilet that could be used to buy more SSD storage for games.

15. flexinho

flexinho Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 2060 S 8GB
    Yes, i see no need in 1TB boot drives too. Just when you get them very cheap i would consider it.
    QLC drives like the Intel 660p are very cheap but i stay miles away from QLC SSD's because they are slower and have lower endurance. TLC drives are the sweetspot for me.
    I also wouldn't buy a SATA SSD nowadays because NVMe SSD's are getting cheaper and cheaper.

But that's just my opinion. I am very happy with my 970 EVO Plus and hopefully they will last a long time.

The only problem are the temps. 40°C when idle and 50°C when gaming. I know this is normal for speedy NVMe drives but i am not used to drive temps over 35°C. The boot drive also has a heatsink on it which is integrated on the motherboard but the one with the heatsink is just 2-3°C cooler than the one without a heatsink. But everything fine so far. Thank you guys one more time. Have a nice day or night!

Mufflore likes this.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    I blow a spare fan at my NVME SSD.
    No sense in risking premature ageing of the SSD controller or it running slow to keep the temp down.

17. toyo

toyo Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    - partition the drives and organize the data. One partition for OS and apps.
    - you will not even remotely feel the performance difference between the 500 and 1000 GB versions other than benchmarks or if you try to write very large files at once.
    - OS writes are not actually that intensive, something along 5-30GB/day. Obviously will rise with patching. Browsers write a decent amount, especially if you watch video like from YT, the higher the resolution the more data being written.
    - having a large game library on the SSD can actually be quite intensive if the games are patched often. For example, if my Battlenet games feel like patching, it can easily write 100GB to the drive for a few games
    - it's not a problem if you keep the game library to a separate drive/partition, I wouldn't put games on the OS partition anyway, just apps and the OS.
    - the 300TBW will be quite hard to reach, not only that, but the actual endurance is likely far above that, probably around 2-7PBW.

Source (translate page to English, it'll do):
    https://3dnews.ru/938764/page-3.html#Samsung 970 EVO

The 250GB Evo (not the Plus) lasted for almost 5PBW. With a 500GB drive, endurance will go up further. Unsure how the 96 layer NAND does in endurance vs the old 64 layers, but even if it's worse, the Samsungs will last ages, with the Pro drives competing with Optane in endurance. Samsung rates them very conservatively.

If you want to further prolong their life, use the Overprovisioning function in Magician (or just let space unpartitioned. Just stick to Magician if unsure to automate it.).

Here's what you can expect from SSD endurance, and these are 250GB-ish drives.

[​IMG]

18. Liam Onestone

Liam Onestone Member

GPU:
    Nvidia MX150 Turbo
    Hmm, can't wait for my first quantum computer in the future LOL