5 days for expert advice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Wicken, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Wicken

Wicken Member

GPU:
    GTX980Ti
    First of all, I would like to personally thank everyone on this site. It has been a great resource for doing my research. I know you all see threads like this every single day so I appologise for it up front. I did not want to post "what should I get" on every section of the forum, so I did my research and read countless reviews. Now I bring my findings to the masters.

I plan on placing the order for this system on Monday. It will be my first new computer in 4 years (running an athlon 64 3500+ atm). I'm not trying to build the top of the line, but I do want to get the best that I can for my money.

I'll try to write this in order of what I am certain on first down to the last which are items i'm not 100% solidified on.

CPU Cooler: Coolit Freezone. My brother in law uses this and has nothing but excellent things to say about it. When I brought up building a new PC these were the first words out of his mouth when I mentioned cooling it. This is his favorite site to visit/troll so /wave gary. This is the first on the list of what I'm sure i'm getting because I've already purchased it. 165$ shipped NIB on ebay vs $320 on newegg.. I jumped on it.

CPU: Q6600. Will OC but it's the best proc for the $ right now. I'll have my brother in law OC it (hopefully in the 3-3.5 range)

Power Supply Power Supply: Silverstone DA750. This is one place I didn't want to skimp. Silverstones are known to be beasts and it's running on a single rail which is better than multi-rails from what I hear.

HD: Seagate baracuda 250gb cheap pos. Not really careing here if it's not a raptor.

-here on down i'm not 100% sold on-
    Motherboard: EVGA 132 780i board. EVGA's warrenty, still runs DDR2, SLI. It seems to be the winner for those choices. I want a good board that wont cost me 300 bucks.

Ram 2x2GB (4GB) G.Skill DDR2 1000: I may switch this out, but it looks like the best quality for the money. Checked the pdf on it and It is compatable with the motherboard.

Video 2x MSI 9600gt (SLI). I know, I know. no one on here likes the 9600gt's. If I didn't HAVE to buy another video card I probably wouldn't get this one.. but I do. So I'm looking at getting the most for my dollar. I have 3 choices in my mind. I can buy 1 8800gt for ~220 and just get by for now. I can buy 1 8800 GTS for ~300 and just get by for a bit longer. Or I can spend 60 bucks more and for 360 bucks I can have one of the best video solutions on the market today, even squeeking a few more FPS over a single 850$ 8800 ultra. To me that is a complete steal and I would be stupid to go anywhere else. I'm looking at the MSI because of the modified heatsinks & fans. It got extremely good clock results and came in 8 degrees cooler under load than other 9600's. It also came in a large amount quieter than other boards. Not to mention that it comes with The Witcher, which I was planning on buying anyway (will i get 2 copies?) so that pulls 50 bucks more off the price in my eyes.
    I wanted to get the SSC evga, but on their forums they are showing black screen problems, and I'm not sure I wanted to deal with that at this time. The MSI is on sale right now and it's about 50 bucks cheaper each and has similar bench results.. I figured it would be the way to go.

Case: Cosmos (s?). I had my heart set on the 1000. Loved the look and the design.. then I went to my local Fry's today to give it a better look. EXTREMELY nice case, but no cooling for the video cards. I'm sure it wouldn't be bad, but I want my case as cold as possible. So I had the sales guy go in the back and pull me two boxes. A 1000 and the cosmos s and open them up for me so I could see them in their non-bashed all to hell beauty. I'm concerned about noise, but the cosmos S is a cooling DREAM. The thing was ridiculous. Huge fans everywhere and tons of airflow. I dont like the look QUITE as much as the 1000, but video card, north & southbridge, & HD heat is a concern of mine... so I may spring for the S.. not sure (opinions please).

I'll be picking up the razer Deathadder this weekend as icing on the cake. I was considering the lachesis, but after holding the deathadder in my hand I fell in love. I didn't get to hold the lachesis in it's naked glory, but I hear that is an issue.

Oh and btw. I'm not as much as an FPS whore as most of you. I dabble in the FPS but mostly play RPG's and MMO's (just quit WoW after 3 years and am looking forward to Conan which is kinda what this system will be primarily used for).

Now I lay this at the feet of the masters. How do you feel in the direction i'm taking and can you convince me to go another way.

Sorry for a thread, I'm sure you guys see a lot of these and are tired of them by now, but it's always a big deal to the person writing these =D

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  2. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    I don't particularly wish to rain on your parade but have you searched for reviews for the cooler??

This one doesn't make that good reading tbh, and there are air coolers that cost a lot less that will allow 3.xxGHz no worries. (Thermaright Ultra 120 eXtreme, Thermalright IFX-14, Tuniq Tower 120, Zalman 9700 for starters)

Dollar for dollar the larger the HDD capacity the cheaper it is on a GB/$ ratio, your call though.

3. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    The people who know stuff can comment about the system's meat and potatoes, but I can add something about the Freezone.

I have an OEM Freezone, so it didn't come with the "MTEC" command module/software. So any adjustments have to be in-case-with-screwdriver style. Which can be a pain. The unit can be set at one of 3 speeds, but I still can't figure out where the "potentiometer" is on the control module - the thing I've read you turn to make that adustment. (My module doesn't even look like others I've seen in pics.)

I've read some pretty glowing reviews of the MTEC system, and just learned that you can buy it separately, I think at about $90. You might wanna check that out if you didn't get one with the cooler. Personally, I'm not hesitating to pick one up. (Once I can find one in stock!!)

4. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    I'm the "brother-in-law" and I can state unequivocally that the Freezone is an excellent thermal solution. For the price that he got it, that's a serious bargain. It keeps my OC'd Opty at a nice relaxing 37-39C under full Orthos load.

You must also take into consideration that we live in San Jose and ambient temps tend to be consistently pretty warm (especially when my mother-in-law has an aversion to running the A/C) and wicken's computer room is on the upper floor.

5. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    If you're getting a cooler, why not just get the best? Ultra 120s are only like $60.

6. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    You're not really trying to compare an air cooler like the Ultra 120 to a Freezone are you? :confused: Plus, if you read wicken's post, the Freezone is already on the way.

7. Wicken

Wicken Member

GPU:
    GTX980Ti
    That review on it wasn't bad at all. On max cooling it outperformed every single one of the other coolers there, on minimum it was the quietest. Fortunately with the potentiometer you can choose every setting in between. Set it to about 75% cooling and you have an amazing blend of cooling power and relative silence. Satch has his running at about 75-80% and that's the quietest part of his computer.

The only real negative they give it in that review is it's cost/cooling ratio because it IS expensive. It was 300-400$ at review. Picking it up brand new for 160 to have a cooler that does a very good job and has zero upkeep. I don't have to worry about reservoir levels, cleaning the pipes out, nothing. Once it's in it's done. The one thing I may do is get a a 92mm to 120mm fan adapter and get a nice fan to cool it a bit more and a bit quieter. That is the other common gripe about it.

Oh and an update. I had $55 in reward zone certificates for best buy so I went down there and tried out mouses. I was worried about the Lachesis because of it's reports of not being comfortable for a lot of people. While it isn't as comfortable as the death adder, it wasn't uncomfortable at all. So I took it home for a grand total of $10. :D

8. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    I've got no worries there, he asked for opinions so I gave mine, there is a slight difference between your opty and his proposed Q6600 but if you're both happy with that choice then go for it.

BTW, I live 100km out of the tropics so it gets warmish here too (up to 40°C) and my TU120e works a treat.

It wasn't compared to any of the coolers I suggested so the result is subjective to say the least, I hope it works for you none the less.

EDIT: I'll be interested to see how it performs, please post back with temperatures when you get it running.

9. Wicken

Wicken Member

GPU:
    GTX980Ti
    absolutely will :) I do appreciate the feedback though. I don't want to sound ungrateful.

10. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Lol, overclocking these suckers is over half the fun. It looks like we'll have to brush up on how to do it with these Intel chips.

11. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    The Q6600 is very oc friendly and although the 680i boards have trouble with them past a certain fsb I haven't seen any complaints from the 780i camp so far.

Hopefully all will be good.

12. Wicken

Wicken Member

GPU:
    GTX980Ti
    Well.. I couldn't wait, i'm just too excited. I placed the order on the rest of the parts as I feel I am confident in all of my decision.

I did change the power supply to a PC Power & Cooling 750w from the silverstone: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

I liked the modular design of the silverstone, but in a cosmos case I dont think that will matter anyway. I'd rather get a better power supply.

I'm going to buy the cosmos 1000 case locally instead of ordering it from newegg. The thing is expensive to ship and that alone makes up for the price difference. I was torn between the cosmos S and the 1000, but I like the look of the 1000 better. They are both excellent cases but I dont feel the S is worth 70 extra dollars and I like the sound padding in the 1000.

Stay tuned next week with an update with pics & benches!!!

13. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    My freind has the 680I with a Q6600 and he hasent reported any problems at all. He has an XFI 680I so i dont know if its a problem with other versions of the 680I board though i read a thread a while back about it having problems with the Evga A1 version when it came to Overclocking. But honestly getting a 780I board will be in your best interest even if its just a few quid extra.

Oh and good luck with the system hope everything runs smooth.

P.S Great buy with the Cosmos im in love with that case and yes the sound proofing on that case is excellent. A little tip when wiring:

1: Dont wire in from Lower and upper top Mobo side of the case thinking you can hide all the wiring beacuse you will have alot of trouble closing the case maybe even having to result in cutting out abit of the sound proofing. That case is really anoying when it comes to hiding those wires.

2: Best thing for hiding the wires is getting extenders and going through the top back hole mobo side and hiding the wires in HD cages.

3: The case is pressure cooled so disabling one of the fans may allow better airflow and even better cooling.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...ask=view&id=86&Itemid=47&limit=1&limitstart=3

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  14. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Picking up on what TekkMarine said, and especially since you're getting the (big) Freezone so the rear fan is out of the overall case cooling scheme, be mindful of the airflow and the "negative pressure" engineering. I'm a little concerned about the airflow in my Cosmos at the moment, though there's a few variables at play (including the remaining 3 stock, 52CFM I think, fans being swapped out for 40CFM ones), so I can't say it's just a freezone thing. But even apart from the fan, and depending on how all your parts fit together, it's size/shape/position can (I think) really effect airflow. Especially with a couple big hot 3870X2's sitting not too far under the Coolit, my setup is almost like a set of shelves running up that one side that seem to be trapping air.

Anyway, just thought I'd bring that to your attention. And, I'm not seriously overheating or anything, it's just something I'm checking into.

About the HDD cooling: a couple months ago CoolMaster was giving away, free, gratis, brackets so that you can mount a fan over the HDD cage. I'm not sure if that's still going on, but it might be worth checking out. (THey're actually pretty hard to find retail.)

Good luck on the build.

EDIT: oh, turns out the MTEC is $120. I'm now hesitating.

15. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Actually he's getting the originial Freezone, not the Elite, where the 92mm fan is still contained within the case.

And $120 for the MTEC? Screw that, I was considering it but I'll keep my current adjustments now.

16. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Damn selective literacy thing again..... sheesh, it's not being able to read CPU cooler descriptions closely enough that got me into my current missing potentiometer mess.

Yeah, I thought $90 was expensive. As badly as I want the control, after considering the % it would be of the main unit's cost, I just don't think I could bring myself to buy it.

17. Wicken

Wicken Member

GPU:
    GTX980Ti
  18. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Excellent, thank you!! I didn't know about getting to full power by disconnecting that one wire - that may well come in handy.

If it were possible, and not likely a violation of Federal law, I'd email ya a beer!

Cheers,
    :cheers: