1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 speakers uh?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by th3cl3ric, Jul 8, 2008.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    "Stuff" like what? Better and cleaner bass range. Smooth mid range and crystal clear clarity and extension? -Pretty hard to miss good sound quality.

Opamps are not just about simple voltage gain and volume. They are the last amplifications stage in your card and are responsible for alot of the sound quality and sound signature the card has. "bad" or cheaper grade opamps boost your signal but color it negativley, they can affect the response make your bass tubby, your mids crackly add noise, remove ambience..and in so many more ways I won't even attempt to explain. If you are happy with your card, great enjoy but don't for one second think your at the end of the line and there is nothing better out there because your mistaken.

Speakers are always a good upgrade but again they can only amplify what you have at the source which is your soundcard and media.

2. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
    If you're using a typical boxed speaker setup, don't bother with a high quality sound card.

And if you say the Z-5500 is good, that's your opinion, but it's a waste to pair it with the Prelude.

3. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    I'm not saying it's top of the range, or falling under the disillusion that there's nothing "better". I'm simply questioning whether or not it would be a noticable upgrade for my Gigaworks 500's.

It's a lot of money for a simple add-in PCB of Prelude standard. if the gain is only going to be slight (at best) I think I'll pass.

also... does the prelude use a "game mode/movie mode/music mode" system like the X-Fi? I think that would be annoying changing for every task, especially for my kid. :(

4. Tinuva

Tinuva Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForceā„¢ 8800 GTS Fat
    For the longest time myself I used to run a Aureal Vortex 2, to the point where drivers became impossible (ala vista and 64bit xp). The reason I stayed so long with this card was that it still sounds amazing on earphones and speakers and 10 times better than any onboard audio I used. Way to go for something made in 2008, so worth the money.

However it was time to move on, and I had my eye on quite a few cards including all the X-Fi's from Creative, the Asus Xonar D2/X and then I found Auzentech. I read most of the reviews probably 20 times over and over to make sure I don't miss any detail. My final choice was whether I wanted a Meridian or Prelude. I finally got the Prelude right before the Meridian was stopped from being produced. Thinking back now that would be a real nice card, but I am still very much happy with my Prelude.

It sounds not good, not great, but amazing on earphones. It works very nicely with my Sony Receiver where, it does sound a bit different but still very good. The quality of the mid ranges comes out nicely though when I use it with analog on my receiver.

Usually I dont play my music out too loud, but I always hear this comment from people who hear it for the first time (and mind you this is people who own the Logitech Z5500s with a creative X-Fi). "WoW I love how your system sounds, and the base sound so clean...!"

I am not exactly an audiophile but I DO enjoy quality. I expect the X-Fi to last me maybe another 5 years and if I am lucky maybe maybe maybe 10 years if Creative don't play their hand in this.

Should I ever buy a card again, I will try to get an Auzentech card without a Creative chip but that is only my opinion.

As for changing modes...I don't really see the point. I just leave the card in gaming mode as I have no need for asio and whatever makes entertainment mode so great. Most of it just works in gaming mode and since I play games as well that's where I leave it.

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    @Mr. Bozack: To note, There is a mode changer apllication that you can use to link the different modes to certain applications. When you click on a game it will switch to game mode, movies- it will switch to entertainment mode. Personally, I don't care what you use, just wanted you to know what you are missing. As that is what you asked. I always find it strange how people will always make sure they have one of the newest GFX cards to play games one etc But they leave their audio lacking.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    it does sound different on different modes, game or entertainment for that matter.
    When i listen to music in game mode it sounds so i dont know, kinda robotic lol or unnatural if u want, completely different as in entertainment mode; mid and low freq have more kick or punch and highs are a bit clearer.
    I also disabled xfi crystalizer and cmss-3d and it still sounds different as it does in entertainment mode-here it has more 3d space or surround and the eq line is not so pimped:blunt: lol.
    I switch between modes as imo it does sound different.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I have 5.1. Wharfedale Moviestar 70's in the lounge for movies, and a set of floorstanding Diamond 9's for music. They sound great!

My 5.1. Creative TD7700's hooked up to my PC on the other hand, don't sound that good. The midrange is a little on the weak side.

You guys with creative cards should really give the KX Project drivers a shot. They sound a lot better than the officail drivers. Used by a lot of Audigy owners.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  8. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    I do pretty much the same thing, Entertainment Mode sounds much better for music/movies to me than Game Mode, just sounds cleaner and generally nicer than Game Mode (Game Mode sounds sort of muffled).

For me the audio still sounds 3D even with CMSS-3D disabled, so I don't really see a point in enabling it and ruining the sound, same goes for X-Fi Crystalizer. :)

9. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Hmm the mode changing might not be too complex for a six year old then!

My real worry is; I buy a Prelude and it doesn't sound much different on my Gigaworks set. It's the only speaker set that will be connected for a while - I'd hate to have to buy a new set of those too!

Oh well, I better check my bank balance. Thanks ROBSCIX, Tinuva and everyone else who helped me decide with their input. I hijacked the thread, sorry. I saw a relevant discussion and I'm sticking to that story. :p

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The mode changer application does eveything automatically. Now I understand what your saying and good speakers are a must for the Prelude.

11. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok well I suppose I can try it.
    G500 aren't exactly poor quality - but I hear what you're saying. Maybe after I've won the lottery I can get that nice Harmon/Kardon AVR 745 :D

I think I may go for a Prelude 7.1 PCI-E version... if I can find one in stock anywhere.

12. LordAboveAll

LordAboveAll Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
    You won't be disappointed I upgraded from a Audigy 2ZS and I immediately heard the difference with the Prelude on my 5300e (I'll be upgrading soon)
    Like ROBSCIX said Better and cleaner bass range. Smooth mid range and crystal clear clarity and extension.

Stay away from the stock cd drivers that come with the Prelude though, very buggy, my system couldn't even detect the card.
    But as with any hardware always you should stay away from stock drivers and download the newest from the manufactures site...I was just to excited to wait, and had to hear it right away!

13. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Yep I noticed the same thing but I was upgrading from the onboard on my motherboard (ALC888 Codec, Realtek HD Audio), and at the time I was using Z-2300 speakers, got rid of the satellites and changed em with a pair of 7W Sharp Speakers and the sound improved even more :D

Love this sound card, never EVER want to go back to onboard sound again :D

Going to be replacing my speakers with headphones (Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm) though as I can't really use my speakers at the moment (too powerful lol), so that's something to look forward to :)