5.1 headies and speakers

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by yermucker, Dec 31, 2010.

1. yermucker

yermucker Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970
    Just got a set of Roccat Kave's and was wondering, since they operate on the 3 jacks for 5.1 and my speakers do the same i have the headphones plugged into onboard and the speakers into my soundcard. Now they work fine as is, if i want to use the speakers i disable onboard and vice versa.
    Is there any way to have both enabled at the same time though? I can just switch the speakers off when the headphones are on rather than going to device manager everytime. Not a major problem to do that of course, but would be handy if i didnt have to.

Cheers

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Yes You need 3 Y Spliters.Then you can plug the 3 Y spliters into Front, Rear center/sub then plug your 5.1 into the plugs and your 5.1 headphones into the other set.

3. yermucker

yermucker Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970
    Was thinking that myself, cant find a software option anywhere that does it.

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    You can switch between then using the sound control panel. THis would let you set one or the other for default. You can use both running different audio streams...that is easy. Getting them both to run the same stream..might be a bit trickier using software.

5. yermucker

yermucker Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970
    Yeah it seems to be near on impossible, or at the very least a bloody nightmare.

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Using players like winamp or KM you can select which output to play to.... This would allow you to play different streams to different outputs.
    There are some programs like VAC and another that has an audio repeater...not sure of the name. Can I ask why you want the same stream going to headphones and speakers?

7. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    I don't think you'll be able to. Windows only allows one device to be selected at a time... Surely that governs everything right?

And of course most audio software you have to select the audio device, so that would stop you using two outputs at the same time as well...

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Ah, sortof....windows can only default to one source BUT, you can use software to send audio to multiple sources, different stream though. There is also VAC, called Virtual audio cable that might be able to do this task.

9. yermucker

yermucker Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970
    Basically just for handiness sake. Wife and kids are out i can blast music, or game with the speakers, or switch to the headies if im on TS etc.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    ..then it's simple just switch between them using the sound panel in the main control panels. Switch between your card or onboard.

11. yermucker

yermucker Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970
    Thats what im doing, like i said its no great hassle, just wondered was there any way to do it.