5.1/7.1 Surround sound via HDMI?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Ash23, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Ash23

Ash23 New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor 5870
    Hey everyone - 1st post

I'm trying to get surround sound working in games or videos.

I'm using a clean install of Win7 Home prem 32bit and a Powercolor 5870 with a hdmi cable travelling 20 meters to my Sony STR DG-820 7.1 home cinema amp (with 7.1 speakers), then to a Optoma hd20 Projector.
    (onboard sound disabled via bios and no other soundcard installed)

I've tried catalyst 10.2 and 10.3, then uninstalled the included hdmi drivers by uninstalling the drivers from the device manager and trying the Realtek HD Audio and ATI HDMI drivers - restarting each time.

I still get no other option other than Stereo and nearly no options for the Audio device, apart from 16bit or 24bit and some virtual surround filters options on the next page. I've seen some posts talk about a new HDMI tab? When I installed the Realtek HD audio drivers, I didn't get any Realtek control panel as I have done using my motherboard sound in the past - should I?

I came over from a Nvidia 260 and Audigy 2zs card using Dolby Digital Live and it was all working fine (apart from the crashing, if you didnt turn the feature off :/ )

I'm assuming its a driver problem, since I've read in many posts that they say they can now get surround sound in games via hdmi

I've tried different options in the AC3filter to get videos working, but I remember in my previous setup, that all I needed to do was change my soundcard to spdif output and It gave me surround sound every time

Hopefully I've included everything to make it easier for the answer I've missed

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't know what other key words to search for in Google :/

Cheers
    Ash

2. Ash23

Ash23 New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor 5870
    **fixed**

Well, I actually managed to fix this problem. For anyone that has the exact same problem as me and can only get stereo in games or films, check your home cinema amp.

My HDMI setting on the amp was set to TV & AMP so because the projector had no speakers, it was just detecting it as stereo. As soon as I changed it to just AMP, up popped DTS-HD and 7.1 and everything else :)

Beautiful :)

3. Varun Krishna

Varun Krishna Active Member

GPU:
    ati 5850 1gb
    I have tried getting a 5.1 output through hdmi(ati HD 5850) but i am not getting it, i have a sony 5.1 system. I have to connect the card to the tv(sony bravia) and then set the amp to take the out put from the tv. I do not get any sort of setting on the card to change the out put to 5.1, it only sends 2 channel. I have try'd connecting a ps3 in the same way and got a 5.1 output so the settings on the amp an tv is correct but not able get it when i connect ma pc.

Any ideas?

4. Ash23

Ash23 New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor 5870
    if you arent seeing any encoded formats under your sound options like dolby digital etc and if you are seeing only 2 channels supported, then it might a problem with the pc not detecting anymore from your tv. Your tv would need to be able to output dolby digital etc for it to show up on the pc. Are you using an optical cable from your tv to your amp?
    I'm not sure how you would get that workin since the HDMI isn't going straight to the amp. The optical cable wouldn't carry the EDID info the pc needs, but I believe you can hack the EDID to make your pc think its getting the correct info so you get more channels.
    You would need to google how to do that though

Hope that helps

5. Varun Krishna

GPU:
    ati 5850 1gb
    my tv is not connected through optic fibre cable to the amp, but i have got a 6 channel out put through the ps which was also connected to tv and from tv to amp usin rca (white and red). The problem as you say the pc is detectin ony 2channel of the tv, trying to find out how to bypass it.
    In the ati sound output through hdmi option i am not able to see any sort of speaker settings.
    I shall try and google how to hack EDID, do let me know if you come to know of something, thanx.

6. Ash23

Ash23 New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor 5870
    Your tv and amp is connected via a white and red phono cable? Thats only a stereo cable. The white will be the left channel and the red is the right (or the other way around) You'll need a cable that can take a higher bandwidth for surround sound like a coaxial or optical. Apologies if I read your post wrong? A phono cable can only take 2 channels. A cable going directly from the source to the amp, then a video cable going from the amp to tv is always the best option if possible.

7. Varun Krishna

GPU:
    ati 5850 1gb
    i just realized that lol . but my tv has no other audio out and amp does not have hdmi in, i tried it with optic fibre from pc to amp and it works, the thing is i wanted to connect the comp to tv from my room using a 15m long hdmi. Dont thin finding an optic fibre cable of that length will be easy.

Is there any other way?

8. Ash23

Ash23 New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor 5870
    I think, if you can, you might have to use an optical cable from the PC to Amp to get surround sound, but unless the soundcard you're plugging your optical cable into (from the pc) has Dolby Digital Live or DTS connect, then you'll only get surround sound in videos as games needs DD Live with Optical or coaxial. I believe some newer motherboards, that has audio built-in, has DD Live etc.

HDMI is definitely the best option to get up to 7.1 in games and videos but you would need a new amp that has an HDMI input and output for the tv

Those are the only options I can personally think of

Also, I was looking at getting a 20m optical cable, so it is possible. They aren't too pricey either. They're also called Toslink cables, so Google that if you're having problems finding anything

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  9. Varun Krishna

GPU:
    ati 5850 1gb
    I have a asus p7p55d motherboard, it has dts. I get 5.1 through optic fibre cable plugged to amp while watching movies, i dont htink i get proper 5.1 while playing games though.
    Cable is the only option i guess.

10. siovhan

siovhan Guest

GPU:
    powercolor hd7850 2gb
    After like 10 hours of research I finally solved this, I installed media player classic (with the Windows Essential Codec pack) and ffdshow. Then I opened a video that has 5.1 audio and right-clicked on the video screen, went to Filters, then ffdshow Audio Decoder, I checked the "Mixer" box, beside "Output speakers configuration" I selected "same as input", then back under the Mixer box I clicked "Input/Output", checked the "AC3" box, then clicked ok.