4K vs... well, 4K

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Morpheous416, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Okay gurus... quick question here.

A fully loaded, 4K movie is going to push about 45 to 60MBps bit rate if not more. (video and audio combined)

So.. I ran a test.

One fully loaded 4K movie vs. an encoded 4K movie at or near 10% of the total bit rate.
    So... 56MBps vs. 5MBps.

My card for the HTPC seems to handle encoded 4K movie without a hiccup. Needless to say, she coughs up a kidney when attempting to play the original file.

Now.. .my question is, for the theater PC.. what do I look for more. The core? The amount of memory? Or the card's memory bandwidth?

2. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2070 Mini OC
    It comes down to your graphics card's hardware decoding capabilities and if your graphics card can't hardware decode a particular CODEC then it falls back to the CPU to software decode the video (which can be a problem with a older/weaker CPU).

If you download and run DXVA checker 4.5.1, it will tell you which CODECs your graphics card can Compress (encode) and Decompress (decode) e.g. MPEG2 (used in DVDs), H264 / AVC (used in Blu Rays), HEVC (x265 8-bit), HEVC Main10 (x265 10-bit used in UHD Blu Ray), VP9 etc

What graphics card is in your HTPC?

3. Morpheous416

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    It's an older 750Ti.

I checked into what she can max out at, and 4K 60Hz isn't really one of them. It is more than likely a codec issue, forcing the CPU to make up for it, and word has it the 1030 is the minimum spec'd card for hardware encoding.

So.. if there's a 1050 out there that isn't priced the same as a Martian colony, I'll see about swapping it out.

Thanks for the reply.

4. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio

5. Morpheous416

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Yes.. the GTX 950/960 has hardware support for HEVC..., then nothing for it until the 1030. Which is irritating, as I have a 970 I could have used if it supported it.

I managed to find a decent 1060.. and all is well in Wonderland.

I appreciate the info. :)

chinobino likes this.