4k Netflix frustration

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by JaylumX, May 29, 2020.

1. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 TI 12G
    I am having difficulty playing back 4K shows on Netflix's windows store app

When I install the Forceware driver (currently 446.14) and use Netflix app, 4K UHD displays and works on shows that support it no problem

Trouble is that I loose it after a few hours or days when I reopen the app (it displays HD and not UltraHD 4k and vertical resolution does not exceed 1080p even if HDR is enabled

I do not understand why I loose the capability if it worked initially without issue
    NB the same issue occured with the 445.87 drivers while the 445.98 never allowed Ultrahd 4k

I have installed the HEVC driver from Microsoft store and my specs are as follows;

Ryzen 2700x - Asus ROG STRIX x470i - 32GB RAM - RTX 2070 Super
    Philips Momentum 326M6V Monitor via Displayport
    Windows 10 pro with 2004 update (problem was there with the 1909 one as well)

Any advice will be appreciated

Cheers

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    replace the displayport cable.

JaylumX likes this.
  3. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    And rewire your house with gold plated wall sockets (the power plant can remain the same, "obviously").

JaylumX
    Netlix DRM is fairly hard, it's easy to loose compliance for 4k (4k SDR is harder than 2k HDR !). It's enough to turn on an older/cheaper secondary display with lesser HDCP level and you find yourself limited to 2k (with HDR still working).
    Another thing is that Netflix loves to start in bad quality and gradually ramp the resolution and bitrate up as your connection is slowly deemed stable and fast enough (even if it's a perfectly stable and very fast line with no other utilization or proper QoS / traffic shaping). I use the built-in app of my 4k TV and I often see it getting stuck at 2k for 5-10 minutes for no reason (even the built-in bandwidth test says I have plenty of bandwidth and my internet line is generally rock stable, I have solid traffic shaping, etc...).

BlindBison likes this.
  4. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Netflix 4K for me always works on Edge Browser without issue. Not supported in other browsers.

I never liked the APP every time I tried it, so I stuck to using Edge Browser. Also note, not all shows on Netflix are available in 4K.

If you want to see the "geek" stats, play a TV show and use the follow to turn them on or off:

CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + D

EDIT:

Up until last year you could CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + S to force the quality you want, such as 4K if it's available and at the highest bitrate too. But in a typical tech move that only hurts the few enthusiasts that actually use this feature, Netflix blocked it and it's no longer available to force the quality you want.

Last edited: May 29, 2020

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    sarcasm aside, displayport bit errors step down the link and this means the hdcp and playready capabilities with it.

6. densou

densou Member Guru

GPU:
    3070 Twin Edge OC
    aehm, which Edge? ;)

7. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    The browser to use for Netflix and nothing else :p

8. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I wonder if this still applies to the Chromium based Edge (currently optional but probably mandatory soon).
    I prefer the ModernUI app from the store though, that one has DD+ pass-through for audio and I am not sure the browser is not limited to 2.0 (of course it could theoretically decode DD+ in software and send it out as 5.1 LPCM but I didn't check what happens there).

9. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 TI 12G
    I do not have a spare displayport cable but i inverted the connection and it worked so thank you for inspiring me to come up with that idea. Such a simple solution.

Cheers dude.

Blackfyre and Astyanax like this.
  10. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Jesus f@c#, just hand me a gun and take it back once I finished myself off. :(

11. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    It should work on new Edge too, that was one of its marketing points.

12. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I tested it a while back before I switched to insider slow ring and it was working fine to my surprise. I expected it might be similar to Chrome and I might be forced to use the APP instead.

13. EnthusiastX

EnthusiastX Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    You need the right combination of hardware and software to get 1080p or 4K. If you use newer versions of Windows 10 along with Chromium-based Edge browser, you need to download:
    - Microsoft.HEIFImageExtension from here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/heif-image-extensions/9pmmsr1cgpwg?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
    - Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension from here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/h...urer/9n4wgh0z6vhq?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I think that should suffice for MS Store Netflix App, but if you want to use the new Chromium-based Edge, then you must open it, navigate to edge://flags, find and enable the following flags/options:
    - PlayReady DRM for Windows 10
    - PlayReady Experimental HEVC Decoding

That should do it. It was mentioned earlier that you can press CTRL+ALT+DEL+D (in browser) to see which resolution Netflix is using for streaming. With all my tweaks and disabling AppX-related crap, I can't install HEIF, HEVC, and "PlayReady Experimental HEVC Decoding" does not show up in Chromium-based Edge for me. It ticks me off. I have to download all my Netflix content using a 3rd party standalone video downloader to get 1080p videos.

janos666 and Blackfyre like this.