1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4K (3840x2160) on GTX 670

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Mike Z, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Mike Z

Mike Z Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Is there a specific reason why when I try to output 3840x2160 from a 670 to a 1080p TV via HDMI cable that the TV would say unsupported or no signal? The 670 specs say it can output it at 30hz, but it doesn't work at 30hz either. However, the res seems to be legit after adding it with CRU (Custom Resolution Utility)..

2560x1440 works.

[​IMG]

2. semsem

semsem Member

GPU:
    Strix 1080 8G
    use hdmi cable v2.0b or displayport cable v1.4

Mike Z likes this.
  3. Mike Z

Mike Z Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. I thought it may be the cable..

4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    is it for gaming or watching movies lol?

5. Mike Z

Mike Z Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Heh, not really for gaming because I understand this GPU isn't gonna push 4K frames at a good speed, but I was just wondering why the TV wouldn't accept the signal. I think it is the cable, but I don't know how to identify what version these HDMI cables I have are..

One of 'em says high speed on it. That should be enough to carry the signal at 30hz..

6. Mike Z

Mike Z Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Maybe this TV's HDMI ports are only 1.4 or something else below 2.0 and that's why it won't accept the signal?

7. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 ARMOR 4G OC
  8. Mike Z

Mike Z Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Yes.. and the cable has "HIGH SPEED HDMI" on it, so I'm assuming it can carry the signal..

After Google searching different things, I believe it's the TV that's the issue. It's from like 2011, so.. I'm probably lucky the HDMI ports on it accept 1440p @ 60hz.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    airbud7 likes this.
  9. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 ARMOR 4G OC
    yea!...its your tv...not the 670.

Mike Z likes this.
  10. Mike Z

Mike Z Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Right..

to everyone who replied, thanks..

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Do you have the cable in the correct 4k supported HDMI port, i know on my Philips TV only 2 of the HDMI ports support 4k 60hz.

Mike Z likes this.
  12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    It's a 1080p TV. Why would it accept a 4K signal? Some displays can accept a higher signal (in this case 1440p) and downscale it, but you're still getting 1920x1080 as the result. That's how many pixels the TV has.

What you can do instead and probably get better results, is use DSR. For 4K, you can set the DSR factor to 4x and set smoothness to 0. (4x is an exact multiple, so no smoothing is needed.)

This setup will send a 1080p signal to the TV but the image will be downscaled 4K. I don't know why you would want this though. This is only useful for games (4x DSR results in a significant reduction of aliasing.) For anything else, there's no reason to downscale (be it 1440p by the TV itself, or 4K by DSR.)

Mike Z likes this.
  13. Mike Z

Mike Z Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Well, the TV is only 1080p, but I figured any TV can accept any resolution. It would just scale it. I have it in HDMI port 1. I guess I could try the other 2 ports..

14. Mike Z

Mike Z Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    I understand that. I thought any resolution TV would accept a higher res signal and just downscale it.

I've tried that, but games don't run as well as when I use CRU with DSR off.

I wanted to try running some games 3840x2160 @ 30hz.

15. Mike Z

Mike Z Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Different ports, same thing.. I understand what's goin' on now and that's all I really wanted to achieve with this thread. I understand why the signal is being rejected. I didn't know much about HDMI versions prior to making this thread.