4GB of ram?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by scupking, Jun 15, 2007.

1. scupking

scupking Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GT (675, 1950)
    I have 2 GBs of PC 5300 in my system now and I have another 2GBs of PC 5300 sitting in the box they came in. Should I install it or will it hurt my performance seeing as XP 32bit can't support 4 GBs of ram?

2. Bigcoconuts

Bigcoconuts Member Guru

GPU:
    Sli XfX 8800ultra's @ 730/2420+h2o
    well i dont see why it would hurt performance since xp doesnt support 4gigs it will only show how much it supports which i believe its 3gigs+

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Banned

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX SLI @ 650/2000
    In your PC's configuration (assuming that your specs are correct) you will be able to use 3.75GB of your 4GB total RAM. Windows 32bit has only 4GB of memory addresses, everything that has memory in your PC must be given an address in order for windows to use it. So after your video card's 256MB are addressed, windows will still have 3.75GB of memory addresses available. Though it's a bit pointless, because if I recall correctly, 32bit Windows can't allocate more than 2GB of memory to any one task at a given time. So while you will have 3.75GB of RAM you will never use all of it.

4. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    It definitely can't hurt to put it in there and, again if your specs are correct, you'll be able to use most of it :thumbup:.

5. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    edit your c:\boot.ini

add a /3GB flag into it.

it will let your apps use up to 3 gigs.

-scheherazade

6. ultimate360

ultimate360 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7900GT KO 256MB
    Ehh....what the heck...go for it....a lot of games can make some use of that extra memory...:)....maybe you can even run 3 games at once and still have atleast 1.5GB of free memory....;)

7. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Three games at once? What three games would allow that? Assuming we're talking about real games and not loading up Chuzzle, Bejeweled 2, and Zuma :heh:

8. scupking

scupking Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GT (675, 1950)
    Yeah specs are correct. So then I guess I will keep it and put it in. I guess you can never have enough. Then some day when I get a 64bit OS I will be set.

9. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    As will I. Friggin Vista is just too damn expensive right now :wanker:

10. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    Have you hear of a little something called.. OEM??

HyBrId

11. gammelhat

gammelhat Active Member

Only if the application has been compiled to use it, will the /3gb switch give it access to more memory.

Every process has access to 2GB. So if more than one process is running, you can fill up your RAM.

12. the mad monk

the mad monk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 560 Ti
    if your in any doubt then send it to me and i'll try it :funny:

13. Phalanx

Phalanx Banned

GPU:
    As was already explained, if the app itself isn't written with the ability to access more than 2GB adding the 3GB to your boot.ini won't matter. Technically you will have the ability, but without software that knows it's there, what's the point?

14. scupking

scupking Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GT (675, 1950)
    Well, I did a few test and it actualy looks like it hurts performence. I ran Sandra. Windows detects it as 3.25GBs

With 2 GBs I got 5788 for Memory Bandwith and 79NS for memory Latency. With 4GBs I get 5632 for Bandwith and 83 ns Latency.

15. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Yes I've heard of OEM. But I'm only interested in the 64bit Ultimate Edition. Thats $200 bucks OEM. Still too much for an OS than doesn't have much to offer me. The extra RAM support is nice but if I buy the OS I wont have any money for extra RAM heh.

16. scupking

scupking Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GT (675, 1950)
    So what timings do you think I can get? Right now I have them at 750MHz
    4-4-4-12. I tried 533, 3-3-3-8 but my system wouldn't boot. Stock is
    5-5-5-15. Do you think I can push them any farther?

17. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    Um, it will be less then 3.75gb. Yes, the video card is part of it but also every PCI device takes address space as well: USB, sound, drive controllers, etc.

I've seen an SLI system only have 2.5gb available out of 4gb, and my server runs 3.5gb out of it's 4gb.

18. madagent

madagent Maha Guru

GPU:
    Voodoo
    OK, here the real deal. Vista dedicates 1 full gig of memory to use for the kernel. So if you have 4 gigs in there it only says 3 because 1 gig is dedicated to running the OS. Yes, 4 gigs might help stuff run faster, if you are utilizing like 30 programs at once. but for most people and ALL games out there now, cpu and gpu are the limit. 3 gigs is probably good enough. 2 gigs is even probably good enough if you turn **** off in vista like themes and all the visuals.

19. Phalanx

Phalanx Banned

GPU:
    I know this, but I was trying to give him an example of how the process worked. After addressing the cards 256MB, windows will have 3.75GB of addresses available, and as I've already said everything that has memory in your system must be given an address by windows in order for the OS to be able to use it. It is impossible for me to know the exact configuration of his system and what other devices he may have installed, so I was just giving an example based soley on the video card and RAM.

I think you are misunderstanding how a 32bit OS works with regards to memory. 32bit OS's (yes Vista 32bit included) is limited to 4GB of memory addresses. This is a limitation of the 32bit architecture.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  20. gammelhat

gammelhat Active Member

You're probably thinking of how the virtual memory space of a process is laid out. By default, it is divided into 2GB user space and 2GB kernel space, but can be changed to 3GB user and 1GB kernel.