4870x2 no crossfirex option ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Qix2140, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Qix2140

Qix2140 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 480 8b
    Hey all, i got this card today and it installed with the new 10.1 betas. when i go to ccc there is no option fot crossfire x. gpuz said it is disabled. im trying cat 9.12 now. hopefully this will fix it.

2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    as far as i know, you dont need to enable it on x2 cards. you just need to have catalyst ai set to standard or advanced. i think this is because theres an onboard crossfire bridge that handles the division of processing, so you dont need to enable crossfirex in the drivers for it to work.

3. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    like sever said, make sure that catalyst ai is turned on. turning this off will effectively shut off one of the gpu's.

4. Qix2140

Qix2140 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 480 8b
    Well, good news, i installed cat 9.12 and restarted and gpuz now shows 2 enabled gpus but still no option in CCC

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    download msi afterburner and furmark. run msi afterburner, then run furmark in a 640x480 window, stability test. if msi afterburner records that both gpus are under load during this test, then i am correct in saying that you do not need to 'enable crossfirex' as it is onboard crossfire.

6. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    There is not such an option with X2 cards.
    If you want to enable / disable Crossfire on those cards, you need to disable / enable AI

7. hunuok

hunuok Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX480 Tri SLI
    Hey there,

If I'm not mistaken, a 4870x2 is 2 GPUs on ONE card which is technically already in "crossfire".

If you want the crossfire tab to appear in CCC, you need to install a second card with a crossfire bridge.

ie, you need to install two SEPARATE cards for the crossfire tab to appear.

Hope this helps.:)

8. Sasco

Sasco Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 970
    Just got this card to replace my failed 9800 GX2, and was wondering about Crossfire so thought I'd post in a relevant topic rather then making a new one.

Since the x2 "isn't in crossfire" mode as such, does that mean that any D3D game will benefit from the second gpu even if there aren't profiles for it in crossfire? eg any new game like Mass Effect 2?

EDIT: Also how come there doesn't appear to be digital vibrance options for desktop/games (there is for video) with this card?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  9. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    as long as you don`'t disable Cat AI,crossfire it's allways enabled for the X2 card.

Everything else, it's just the same as 2 separate cards. they behave like that, so you still need crossfire support/profiles in the drivers in order to properly run the games.

If you find some game that it's not properly supported, you can allways rename the exe to some other game exe with the same engine and proper crossfire profile on the drivers......

they're just like 2 separate GPUS, but in the same PCB. Yes, it's kinda weird there is no "crossfire" check on the CCC and that you have to control it by cat AI. I do have such checkbox since I have another separate 4870 installed; never had it before .......

Mass Effect 2 , I think you can just rename the exe to UT3.exe and you will benefit from the crossfire support, plus AA for the game (set it in CCC in Box 4X for example).

If your ME2 it's steam version, you need a no-cd exe , rename it from there and then apply AA.......

I am pretty sure ME2 will get crossfire profile on the drivers no time if not already .

10. Sasco

Sasco Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 970
    Thanks for all that :) Aye, I ended up renaming it to ut3.exe and its running beautifully!
    Is there a way to check the crossfire profiles, or do you just have to read what they add? I know they'll have the editable xml profiles soon, so that should be the end of it heh

Any idea how to enable digital vibrance in games/general desktop with that card/10.1 drivers? :3eyes:

11. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    as for the digital vibrance I have no idea.........

this is an old list , I am sure you can dig something else and share ;)

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagev...=105418&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

12. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    technically, you only need driver profiles for sli to be enabled. for crossfire, no profiles are needed. by default, if there is no profile, it will run the game in supertiling. a profile just enables alternate frame rendering for better results.

13. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    there are games that with the "default" profile don't scale well (or nothing), plus problems in textures, fickering,etc.
    MW2 can be an example, and Borderlands under CrossfireX performing poorly until 9.12 ........... Resident Evil 5 had flickering textures under CrossfireX until cats 9.10.........

So in theory, yes, in practice well..... ;)

BTW, out there there is a 10.1 HOTFIX for ME2 already, that has CF profile for the game......saw it today on one of the forum threads.......
    /edit2<. here ......
    Hotfix to force Anti-Aliasing support for ATI Radeon™ HD series of graphic cards when in Crossfire Mode for Mass Effect 2

/edit: not always related to CF, the problems, are, driver issues can be, mixed with that,..... may the force be with you ati users........

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010