4870x2 inverted colours strobing - help!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Atel, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Atel

Atel Member

GPU:
    PowercolorHD4870x2 2048MB
    Hi all,

The first time I launch a 3d application following a cold startup of my system, the screen will strobe and the colours will be inverted (or just plain random). eg bright yellow flickering where it should be displaying black.

Dropping back into windows and relaunching the application solves the problem until the next time the computer is restarted.

I am assuming it's something to do with the memory clocks going in and out of idle, but I'm concerned it's a sign that the card is on its way out. Also, (and this may be coincidental), these symptoms appeared at the point I updated to 9.9 and 9.10 hasn't cured it.

I've checked temperatures under load.. GPUs hit about 75 and the VRAM reaches 85-90. The GPUs and VRAM are stock clocks and always have been.

I am aware I could try a rollback of drivers, or a bios upgrade on either the mobo or the card, but since the system is otherwise working perfectly well I am loathe to start messing about with it without a better diagnosis.

Any ideas guys?
    System specs are on the left.. I'm running vista64, 9.10 drivers.

2. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    It's a driver bug.....

Don't exit the app and back, just do an alt+tab

3. Atel

Atel Member

GPU:
    PowercolorHD4870x2 2048MB
    That's it? A driver bug?

Thanks for the quick reply.. roll on december

4. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    yeah I also have it, the first time I thoguht my cards went wrong or something ........