4870X2/ GTX 260 TRi SLi/ GTX 280 SLi ,!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Marri, Sep 5, 2008.

?

Best GFX Route - SLi/X2/TRi/CF ?

1. 4870X2

23 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. GTX 260 TRi SLi

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. GTX 280 SLi

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. Or why get confused just get either - 4870X2 CrossFire or GTX 280 TRi

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2/ GTX 260 TRi SLi/ GTX 280 SLi !

Apparently these are the choices that I think I have..

I cant go CrossFire because I'll be buying a new board then , if I'm willing to do that , then why not go GTX 280 TRi SLi instead...same cost..

I really want TRi 280's but I'm afraid that'll just be a big waste of money...im saying because I've never pictured spending so much on cards that'll cost half it's price in 6months..
    But I still want to...it's tempting but I want to restrict my self to something more sane/humane (price wise , I mean)

So the 4870X2 , all my upgrade paths end with buying just one of these..even tho I really really want to get it..
    Extremely tempting and probably tention free...since it's one really powerful card..that'll probably fill out my SLi measuring performance hunger..
    It's only 20% more expensive then the GTX 280 here..very tempting.
    Plus I can always hand it over to my brother if something new pops..
    1 Long lasting product I guess..

GTX 280 SLi , probably consistant , what if StarCraft ends up using only one GPU , atleast it's bare minimum wont be as bad as that of a TRi 260's only running on 1 GPU..
    I'm guessing probably better for Stratigy games compaired the a TRi setup..
    Then again I'm not sure..
    Since every one talks about it , it's one of the safest choices..
    But dont know if it really does better then the X2 , every review tells a different story..

TRi 260 SLi , it's a mix between the idea of getting everything...I guess..
    3 Cards is a fantasy , an urge fullfillment , Higher Performance Over the 4870X2 & possibly better performance compaired to a GTX 280SLI set..
    But obviously less then a GTX 280 TRi set..
    Could perform like a X2 CrossFire set..
    Biggest benifit price...for 3 cards..
    Those 3 cards can always come in handy in all my other rigs @ home..

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  2. Yellowbeard

Yellowbeard Master Guru

How big is your monitor? And, are you ONLY interested in real world performance and usage or are you a benchmark junkie?

3. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    If you want to save money and have a decent setup then the 4870 sounds about right.

Money not that much of an issue then the gtx 280 sli is probably the better option and the difference in performance atleast according to the latest review by hardocp should be significant.

Hardocp review 4870x2

I wouldn't go for three cards, specialy when you can get similar perormance with two. In both cases sli/cf will be an issue so if you want to totaly avoid that you'd need to buy a single gtx 280, also with the x58 supporting both sli and cf soon to be released board based preferences should no longer apply.

My vote goes for the 4870x2 as things currently stand.

4. Raven^

Raven^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 4870 512mb (Stock)
    Am not being funny but 2x 8800GTX's still do quite well, i would wait it out abit longer because nvidia will be up with something else soon. Meaning you will be able to save abit more money for maybe a new CPU or more ram.

5. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    hes using a 32inch & 52 inch i think SLI GTX 280 Would Help Out Alot

6. PineMangoes

PineMangoes Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GS XXX edition @stock
    Depends on the resolution, doesn't it? 32 inch doesn't mean 2560x1600, it's probably 1920x1200 or something.

My vote goes to HD 4870X2. It's nearly as fast as SLI 280, and a lot cheaper. Tri-SLI is not worth it.

7. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    SLI GTX260s are cheaper and better then the 4870X2.
    http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTU0OSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
    The GTX280 is better then the GTX260, so if money is not a problem get 2x GTX280, if you want best price and preformace SLI GTX260s win.

The only reason you should think about the 4870x2 is if you have a Intel board and cant get SLI.
    But you can get 2x GTX260s +680iLT MOBO for about the same price as a 4870x2(lol)
    ATI faboys all cheerd PRICE VS PREFORMACE WE WIN, guess what, you dont, BIG GREEN can and did cut its prices to match and beat you at every turn, thats what happens when you are the #1 GPU company.

8. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's an HDTV 32inch & 52inch @ 1080p , I've always been hooked to benchmarks but I'd be skipping on that this time around..
    I simply want real world performance with all the talked about upcoming games.
    I want to atleast be able to play Supreme Commander , Star Craft , Red Alert 3 , Diablo 3 , Fallout , Mass Effect etc etc
    With full AA & AF max settings @ 1080p , with uber fps :D
    That's the least I want my system to do.
    Which is why I think the 4870X2 can satisfy..
    I'm quite sensitive to frame rate dips...lol
    It makes me want to cry :(

But Crysis War Head is coming out...
    I'd really love to have a system that can do justice to the game..

I did read the 4870X2 has issues with HDTV's , dont know if it's true..

Raven^: U do have a strong point but I guess I've been holding out on them for a while long now...
    Is there any major update coming around soon by the two companies..
    I'm really itching for an upgrade @ this instance..
    I'm playing Red Alert 3 beta these days and I cant really crank up AA to 8x with my current cards..
    FPS falls down to half @ 1080p with Full AA !
    I get awesome performance with no AA tho..

I believe in upgrades to get better average minimum fps..
    I hate FPS dips , I've always noticed every one suggesting SLi etc for high Res only..
    In fact with my rig , it's helped truck loads even @ low res in Crysis most of all..
    With one card they're always more FPS dips with 3 cards , I'm imagining they'll be the least amount of drops or a great sense of FPS consistency.

But then again , it's all about me getting advice...
    Thanks.

Thanks for posting guys...please feel free to keep on posting :D

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  9. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    4870x2 would help you to wait for xmas or when new Nvidia cards arrive. You would not lose much money and could give that 4870x2 to your brother when buy new ones.

eVGA has 90 days stepup (if you like in States) so it might give a change to get new cards for cheap.

I think 260GTX would give you nice boost and you could get 3rd one a bit later if you need it.

10. PineMangoes

PineMangoes Master Guru

GPU:
    I doubt nVidia will have a card at Christmas that's a worthy upgrade to the 4870X2. A GTX 280+ or GX2 260 at best.

11. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I read some where....they'll be releasing a 55nm GTX 280 with GDDR5 memory by the end of this month !

This helps frack my mind up even further...just when I was out thinking it was just a pick , now it's a wait too...
    Puff !!!

Seems like it keeps getting confusing..but if it really is coming out , it'll be wise of me to wait and get two of those , what u think guys...
    Do I wait or carry on making a pick between the cards mentioned..
    Thanks Tat3

Thanks then again everyone....

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  12. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Latest reports I have seen it was pushed back to November or later. Don't know if it is a manufacture problem, or just they have too much inventory of other GTX chips.

13. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah , that also isn't guaranteed right...delays can be painful..

hmm...

14. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    How about the other rumour of the Nvidia 260GTX+ ? With an extar 24 shader processors of the standard cards 196 and other added extras, apparently.

So it might be in your best interests to wait until that, or the 55nm 280GTX crop up..

I don't suppose you've thought of SLi 280GTX's with one of your 8800GTX's as an Nvidia Physx card? :)

HyBrId

15. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I dont think you can have SLI and a 3rd card for Physx right now, maybe with BIG BANG you cant but right now , ppl say it does not work.(not sure their would be any point with 2x GTX280s any way)

16. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    Ok well it was just an idea..that could possibly be why the current drivers make games and such crash on my setup.. Especially Physx enabled ones.

Ok then well we'll see. I imagine one 280GTX or 4870X2 would be okee then. For now atleast ;)

HyBrId

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  17. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:

Ur correct , it would be in my best intrest to wait a little longer..thanks..
    But will I , now that I truthfully do not know , I'm way too confused..

Price wise I do agree or would have to agree , generally..
    There's one thing I want to add , SLi does scale well enough , SLi always did wonders for me..
    It does make things feel almost half if not twice faster..
    Even @ low res..
    I've seen guys recommend SLi for high res displays only..
    Yeah I totally understand that but what I dont understand is people saying it's no good getting SLi for a smaller res display or even if you play at low res.

I'm not saying SLi's perfect , it can be troublesome to many but I'm just highlighting this issue I have with everyone elses take on SLi !

Other then that...
    I remember getting 6800GT's in SLi and comparing those to the X850 XT PE.
    Funny how it feels like the same fight between the GTX 260 SLi vs 4870x2 !
    But I have a feeling the X2 puts up a much stronger fight then the X850 XT PE did !
    Played the same level/areas over and over again , it's great being able to check and directly compare hardware.
    Half of my urge of wanting to get the X2 comes from there , as in I just want to see and know what all this fuss is about.
    To be sure if what every one else says is as I imagine it..
    :D

But here's another review ,a GTX 260 SLi vs 4870x2.
    I'd imagine TRi being much more powerful then a single 4870x2 then !
    Then again this is why I'm so confused , if I follow the Guru3d and Driver Heaven reviews , TRi is unfracking believable , if I go with Anandtech's or some other sites..
    The X2 probably gets to be a Hero..and TRi is most probably described as something that doesn't scale @ all in most cases..
    In most cases its damn hard to find TRi 260 reviews..
    Then there are sites that talk about Micro Shutter being more noticable on the X2 and games being much more fluid on the GTX SLI , better then how SLi was with the 8 or 9 Series..

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/2008/test_ati_radeon_hd_4870_x2/12/#abschnitt_gothic_3

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  18. PineMangoes

PineMangoes Master Guru

GPU:
    Some serious flaws in your post:

-> First off, comparing 6800GT SLI vs X850XT? Dude, of course the 6800GT's are gonna win, as the X850 is only 30% faster than single card 6800GT.

-> GTX 260 SLI vs HD 4870X2 is pretty much an equal split. The SLI rig performs better on low resolutions, the X2 is better on high resolutions and high AA levels. Way to quote btw, you took a benchmark from a game that's 3 years old and not very popular. If you're gonna quote, quote the performance chart:

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/2008/test_ati_radeon_hd_4870_x2/23/#abschnitt_performancerating_qualitaet

-> Microstuttering is an issue on all multi-GPU rigs. It's a consequence of the rendering method (AFR) rather than the architecture of the cards.

-> Don't forget Tri-SLI requires a very expensive 790i motherboard, the X2 works fine on a 70$ P43 board.

19. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:

Of course , didn't I mention it not being entirely the same case ''X2 puts up a much stronger fight ''
    Plus didn't mean it word for word , just how I had trouble deciding long ago between ATi and Nvidia , one being two nvidia cards the latter being a ati card.
    What's different this time , sure we're talking about different hardware different key freatures , advantages etc..
    ATi's being a Dual GPU chip etc etc...all that etc..
    Was just trying to recollect the feeling being some what the same..

I wasn't talking about any of that...but simply how this some what reminded me of a similar confusion I had long back.
    No lingo here , my friend , just talk..

Thats true , it wasn't intentional..about the peroformance chart thing , btw doesn't that just boundle up everything with out being specific and I cant read dutch/German , to expect me to be 100% accurate on quotes from a dutch/German site is flawed..lol
    Alright but this game isn't 3 years old , and performance here was worrying..
    Since I play alots of strategy games , like I mentioned earlier..

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/2008/test_ati_radeon_hd_4870_x2/22/#abschnitt_world_in_conflict

I was simply trying to provide links , not trying to be an expert on how to do that.. :D
    http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15293/7

Again , thats just being simple..it's different from card to card..
    I've experienced Microshutter and then seen my friends rigs do much better with their newer cards.
    It's not Microshutter all the way the same way for every card , right !
    It Varies...which is why lots of people today say the 4870X2 has alot less Microshutter then previous Ati X2 cards..
    But some people say it's still there , since I've never used a Dual GPU card , I cant be sure how good or bad it is with ATi..
    Crysis had Micro Shutter with the 8800GTX in SLi but then again people say gameplay with the GTX 280 SLi feels smoother then ATi's offer on multi gpu.
    Plus lots of people claim it's gone from Crysis when using the GTX 280 SLi.

My board already supports Tri - SLi , so that's not the issue..
    Infact most of my rigs @ home are equipt with SLi boards and 2 are TRi ready.

thanks for posting non the less.. :D :D

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  20. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guys I've come down to the following conclusion , weather right or wrong I dont know but it's what I've come to understand.

4870x2

It's excellent and is the fastest Single Slot Solution , it's as fast as SLi setup's and does actually out strip them in certain games (Disputed)
    AA & AF is it's other most like able advantage , it's the first card to actually encourage gamers to use AA & AF in every demanding game.
    But this card really shine's @ resolutions above 1080p.
    It isn't the best solution for Crysis compared to all the other solutions in the market today.
    People talk about the GTX280's in SLi being a better solution , performance wise that I presume would be quite true but price wise , obviously not even justifiable..
    Plus U dont have to disable your second GPU to be able to use dual screens , so basically I suppose you can play your crossfire games while still playing a movie on your other screen (I'm not 100% sure on this but I've read the fact that you can use 2 displays when using a singe 4870x2 without disabling things form you CP)
    So no annoying Crossfire disabling/enabling , constantly being a deterrence from causing you to use Dual Screen often (Only if your as lazy as I am)
    The card will last you that's for sure , ATi doesn't run the tendency of making you feel like a sucker every 2 months , when it comes down to knowing your the owner of a particular brands Top Card.

Currently
    The X2 runs the potential of either ironing out all the crashes and odd performance issues people seem to be having or it also runs the potential of both gaining massive performance UP'S along with the ironed out buggs.

Plus Nvidia's naming scheme can sometimes suck alot and make u suffer alot more.
    You dont suffer arguing over resale issues ,explaining buyers your 8800GTX shouldn't be seen as a card that should be sold for half or even less then half the price of a 9800GTX , since the difference does not exist.
    Convincing people the 9800GTX isn't 2x better then the 8800GTX makes you come out seeming like a noob infront of noobs, even when your trying to sell your cards to friends. (But this obviously isn't always true , it's just been happening to me alot)

Cons

Not really a complete card , it's a bit of everything , so it's not entirely consistent , it's either a SLi beater @ one point or it's just a better AA & AF performing GTX280 or even much worse in some cases (Crysis+) it's a card with identity problems.. (Half the time it's the Nvidia Destroyer and the other half it's just not polished in anyway to clearly be doing that)
    For some it's the fastest card in the market for others it's not as stable or as consistent as reviews and benchmarks make it.
    It's a fast card but after reading and reading stuff from all over the net , I've come to realize it cant truly beat GTX260's in SLi when comparisons are made from the latter's perspective.
    It's always reviewers trying to highlight how the 4870x2 beats GTX260 in SLi , while it's never the other way around.

How often will you find reviews not using AA & AF when comparing the cards , it's quite known that the GTX 260 SLi cant do AA & AF as well as the 4870x2 , it's also understood that the GTX260 SLI cant beat the 4870x2 @ XHD resolutions , while it's also known that not every one with SLi owns a 30inch monitor & half of those people out there cant tell the difference between 2xAA/16xAA @ native Res !

So you've got games like COD4 being highlighted for being super performers on the 4870x2 , while your ignoring the fact that GTX260 SLI runs the most demanding game Crysis much better and happens to run COD4 more then just addaquitly @1080p or less , also We hardly see talks about the average minimum frame rate in those games.Highlighting Crysis and COD4 is simply highlight consistency.
    Which set of cards dont get effected drastically when your getting 80FPS and all of a sudden you've got an explosion , I prefer knowing which cards dip more in such scenario.
    RTS games barely get the light with any of these setups , depending on what you buy or don't buy , it's a miss or a hit situation.

SLi is far more polished , I've never had half the issues people highlight and it makes no sense equalizing the problems of CrossFire with SLi !
    Plus CrossFire Scaling is still a big question for many , I know we have reviews showing promising CrossFire scaling ups but I still am not convinced , like I am with SLi !

The best solution would actually be the upcoming 55nm Nvidia cards but I doubt seeing those really soon because I still remember waiting for the 9800Ultra's a year after buying the 8800GTX !

So I know my claims are totally blind and all here is based out of extracts from all over the internet , user experiences , game play video's , professional reviews etc etc.

So there's obviously going to be tons of errands in my conclusion but to make sure all is surly better then the X2 , I know I'll have to add a 3rd card @ some point , I'm going for GTX260 216 MaxCore Tri SLi , will start by going 2-way first.
    Dont get me wrong I wish I could buy both the X2 and the 260SLi !

Price Performance wise I'm getting what I want with this.
    Since the GTX280's are very expensive and don't perform much different.
    Obvious the GTX280 is the best performer in many peoples books but to make a choice in terms of performance and price , I can almost get 2 GTX260's over the price of 1 GTX280 , I'll only have to add little more..
    3GTX 260's for the price of 2 GTX280's , while the newer 260 like the MAxCore when OCed performs much closer to the 280.
    The biggest problem here with this upgrade path , is that I'll have to take my sound card out , which I cant believe I'll being doing.
    I watch lots of movies and use my i-pod with the external XFi I/O pannel , songs sound so much better that ways.
    Having me to let go of all that , is pissing off clearly.

I have to finalize my decision today , just wanted to share.