4870x2 display drive disabling?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by bossmonkey, Dec 10, 2008.

1. bossmonkey

bossmonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870x2 @stock
    yay for the new drivers.. that i was hoping to not get any problems with..
    but im seem to have been!
    alright well, i have reinstalled the drivers about twice now..
    and am still getting the same problem,
    after installing and rebooting i get a windows error screen saying it had to disable one of my display adapters because it was "incompatible" or something.
    does anyone know a solution or is this just another bug?

2. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    It looks like mine is working fine.

I hope you didn't uninstall the old drivers before installing the new one? That seems to be a major cause of problems with this new driver. If so then uninstall 8.12 completely first (and use a driver sweeper thingy afterwards), reboot and install 8.11. You can now try to install 8.12. But... Don't uninstall 8.11 first, make sure it works properly, reboot and just install 8.12 over it. Reboot again. Tweak the display properties using the Windows display properties, not the display properties in CCC (don't touch it), until you are satisfied and reboot again.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  3. bossmonkey

bossmonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870x2 @stock
    i always thought that was a horrible thing to do, and would cause conflict, because i did that exactly, i completely removed 8.11 and installed 8.12

4. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yep. But 8.12 doesn't like it for some reason. I made some changes to the above post. Try it out.

5. bossmonkey

bossmonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870x2 @stock
    oh! alright thank you!
    ill give that a goo and tell you how it went

6. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I installed over the top, no issues! There was a thread a while back where this was discussed at length. I always used to uninstall, run DriveSweeper blah, blah, blah! But I used to get all sorts of errors! Not this time.

7. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    No bugs in these drivers at all for me.

Since you have had a driver problem, I would do the following (I don't suggest this unless you've had a driver issue - usually you can simply install the new drivers directly over the top of the older ones without issue)

:cops::cops:==---Before starting the process below, ensure that your graphics card(s) are fully inserted into the slot(s) and that all the power connectors are firmly in place---==:cops::cops:

1) Download and install DriverCleaner Pro from here at Guru3D
    2) Re-download the Catalyst 8.11 and the 8.12 drivers DIRECTLY FROM ATI using this link: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html (don't get 'em anywhere else)
    3) Uninstall ATi Catalyst Install Manager via Start > Programs and Features (for Vista)
    ......Inside the ATi Catalyst Install Manager, choose to Uninstall everything you have an option for, including the Install Manager
    4) Reboot to Safe Mode (usually by tapping F8 during POST)
    5) Run DriverCleaner Pro for *every* ATi entry (use multiple filters should be ticked)
    6) Reboot to Windows and CANCEL ANY DRIVER INSTALL it tries to do
    7) Run the Catalyst 8.11 Install and install what you need (probably don't want the WoW trial...lol), reboot and then install the 8.12's.
    8) Reboot when it tells you...you should be good to go.

If that doesn't work, post back here and we'll figure it out. :cool:

Psychlone

8. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    You guys type faster than I can read. :p

9. bossmonkey

bossmonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870x2 @stock
    well..
    ive been now getting this error while trying to install either driver..
    it randomly came after installing folding@home?
    could that be the problem?!
    also.. still getting the one display adapter not working, ugh I HATE DRIVERS!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  10. shyun

shyun Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 @1240/7800
    i tried installing over the top but no luck:S

11. kapo

kapo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
    Same here. Tried installing over the top of 8.11 on my second try and no luck. This sucks, I usually don't run into these kinds of problems with drivers.

12. Plug2k

Plug2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Fe 1080TI +WB
    be trying all night freaking 3 hours of my freakin time

still cant get 8.12 installed as it disables 1 of my GPUs on my 4870x2

8.11 installs perfectly and i mean perfectly every time both GPUs working no errors

but for the LIFE OF GODS HAND i can not get 8.12 to work with both GPUS

error code 43 ARGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH im so pissed off.

13. shyun

shyun Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 @1240/7800
    i managed to get these drivers to work! this is what i did; went into device manager and unistalled both cards. at this point windows automatically reinstalled the 8.12 drivers and now they work no error codes!! hopefully this works for someone else

14. shyun

shyun Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 @1240/7800
    pfftt that didnt actually work cause windows installed the wrong drivers! piece of junk i give up:p

15. bossmonkey

bossmonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870x2 @stock
    this is crazy.
    i can't stand all these problems
    i just want to mplay my games..
    and bench mark!
    is that to much to ask?
    lol i hope theres a fix soon..

16. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    All of you just calm down. The fix is in your hands because there is nothing wrong with these drivers.

What you all need to do is this:

1) Download and install DriverCleaner Pro from here at Guru3D
    2) Re-download the Catalyst 8.11 and the 8.12 drivers DIRECTLY FROM ATI using this link: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html (don't get 'em anywhere else)
    3) Uninstall ATi Catalyst Install Manager via Start > Programs and Features (for Vista)
    ......Inside the ATi Catalyst Install Manager, choose to Uninstall everything you have an option for, including the Install Manager
    4) Reboot to Safe Mode (usually by tapping F8 during POST)
    5) Run DriverCleaner Pro for *every* ATi entry (use multiple filters should be ticked)
    6) Reboot to Windows and CANCEL ANY DRIVER INSTALL it tries to do
    7) Run the Catalyst 8.11 Install and install what you need (probably don't want the WoW trial...lol), reboot and then install the 8.12's.
    8) Reboot when it tells you...you should be good to go.

If you haven't followed those steps, then you're not going to get going again unless you happen to be lucky today. ;)
    When you just uninstall the drivers and reboot, and then Windows starts up with no drivers for your device(s), it automatically searches and finds the best thing it can, and in *all* cases, that's either drivers from the old install folders that are left behind (usually in C:\ATi), or WHQL drivers from Microsoft Update (which are usually *very* old).
    Removing the drivers via Add/Remove Programs for XP, or Programs and Features for Vista will only get rid of the drivers, not the folders and not the registry entires. Running DriverCleaner Pro will not only get rid of all the old driver folders and driver files that are inside system folders on your HDD, but all the registry entires as well. - Then you get to start fresh, without worrying about Windows installing outdated or wrong drivers (because they're not there anymore if you just DriverCleaner'ed them!) - BUT, you've got to CANCEL the Windows driver install as soon as it comes up!!! Then install the drivers yourself - the point here is to NOT let Windows take care of this for you.

Hope this helps to straighten it out in your heads, I understand it can be frustrating, but it can be fixed quite easily.

Psychlone

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  17. shyun

shyun Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 @1240/7800
    nope that doesnt work im affraid to say, just like everything else. the drivers are bad simple as that it seems. you would think they'd had it fixed since the same thing happened in the beta version.

18. Plug2k

Plug2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Fe 1080TI +WB
    hahahaha

its definatly the drivers

you cant just blame a OS or Usererror.

if i can install 8.09,8.10,8.11 without error and error free aswell as install the golden oldies from my sapphire disk that comes with my card then im afraid to say it,,

but these drivers are BROKEN

there is just something wrong with them, i dont think its a massive problem i think its to do with the infs or some file thats not letting vista x64 install 1 of the GPU drivers

I dont care how meny times people will say there is nothing wrong with these drivers
    then i say to them YES THERE IS!

19. bossmonkey

bossmonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870x2 @stock
    i hate to say it but i have to agree with you guys, i just fallowed that STEP BY STEP,
    and still getting the same error,
    was fine when i was with 8.11..
    ugh.. lol

20. Overclocked76

Overclocked76 Member

GPU:
    Sappphire 4870X2 2gig
    Are u all using the same OS? or is it affecting only a certain OS?:bang: