4870x2 + 9600gt for physx , pitfalls?

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by yermaw, Sep 7, 2009.

1. yermaw

yermaw New Member

GPU:
    Club 3d 4870X2 2GB
    I have acquired a 9600gt which I am going to install to play with Physx in Win7. I am aware of the NVIDIA driver problems post 181.xx and I am happy installing. However with my setup I have a couple of questions which I would like your opinion on.

1. I have a triple boot setup Vista,XP and Win7. Of course Win7 is the only OS I will play with physx in, is it just a case of disabling the 9600gt in Xp and Vista to prevent any conflicts?

2. Whats the best PCI-E slot to use for my board (p5q deluxe), PCIE_2 or PCIE_3 without hopefully affecting bandwidth to my 4870x2

Thanks

2. korn666

korn666 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 295
    put your 4870x2 in the pciE slot near the CPU:)

3. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    you can use win7 for physx, windows XP too.

Windows vista NO, because you cant install two drivers there (aka nvidia drivers)

and anyways it shouldnt cause any conflict, but on vista you should disable it (at least you dont get those annoying no driver found...)

on the other hand... you should use old physx driver, or at least hacked ones, since nvidia disabled physx on systems with ati cards.

4. yermaw

yermaw New Member

GPU:
    Club 3d 4870X2 2GB
    Well I gave it a go and have hit some other problems.

1. The 9600gt was too big to fit with the cooler I bought for it (Accelero L2), it did not have stock fan hence I got the card for nothing. Put the 9600gt in my old spare pc and took the 8800gts 640mb that was in it. Problem solved

2. Both cards fit now, however it seems the GTS in slot pci-e2 is getting used at the primary card and it will not boot from my 4870x2. Due to airflow in my case I do not want to swap PCI-E slots with the cards as the 4870x2 will hardly have any clearance in slot 2. Is there anyway to choose which pci-e card to boot with on a p5q deluxe?. Slot 3 is out of bounds as the card would not fit.

5. yleclerc

yleclerc Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    I have yet to try Windows 7. It has been posted that in Windows 7, the nVidia driver "may" refuse to install the CUDA/PhysX module when it detects that the "primary" video card is an ATi (or not any nVidia based GPU.)

6. yermaw

yermaw New Member

GPU:
    Club 3d 4870X2 2GB
    Well i got it working using 181 beta drivers, latest physx module and existing ATI drivers. However still having a lot of problems.

The primary PCI-E card that posts on the computer and displays is still the Nvidia leaving me to switch vga cables physically everytime. Unfortunately my lcd Acer AL2416W only has one output D-Pin VGA, so without having a second monitor or changing my Acer I need to switch cables on every boot if I want the 4870x2 to be primary card.
    So cableswitching works fine for XP and Win7, however could not get Vista working at all with the 4870x2. Disabled the Nvidia card in device manager but Vista still only boots with this card in VGA mode. Strange.
    This is a lot of work just for some floating paper in Batman, upside is that it forced me to at last cable manage properly the inside of my P182 at long last.
    Any advice on forcing my board to boot from the 4870x2?

7. yleclerc

yleclerc Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    Check the BIOS so as to see if it can be told which PCI-E slot is the primary video card one.

If not, then you would probably need to switch the PCI-E slots in order to have the ATI card(s) selected as primary video card.