4870 X2 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Stukov, Aug 13, 2008.

1. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    There are no aftermarket air cooling. So the only alternative is water cooling and it aint cheap. Just wait maybe they will have something cheap out soon

2. TAViX

TAViX Member

GPU:
    MSI ATI HD 4870 X2
    Bro, read my post again!!! Did I said anything about air cooling???:nerd:

I have found on the web some nice block cooling, but I'm interested on some realy cheap pomps/radiators/whatever, that I can couple the block in. Tnks.:pc1:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  3. PaulvH

PaulvH Member Guru

GPU:
    2x XFX HD5870 H²O-EK CF
    Be careful with 'really cheap' solutions.
    Three years ago I owned a cheap solution myself, until the tubes started detaching due to the cheap coupling mechanism and by shear luck I did not fry a single component, in spite of several ounces of water spilled over my systems interior. It scared me a lot though.
    Since then I have sticked to aircooling and never touched H2O since, although this 4870X2 sure seems to scream for water like a lost traveler in a desert.
    But IF you want watercooling make sure you don't save on quality. After all you don't want to jeopardize your expensive system with an unhealthy shower.

4. nilo

nilo Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD7970 IceQ2 CFX
    Got mine as well.

Brilliant and powerful.

Installed 8.10 WHQL which is running fine.

At idle, in ATI Ovedrive, with auto fan on, I have 61ºC at 27% fan speed.

No OC's on CPU neither GPU
    8.10 WHQL
    --> 3DMark06: 13209
    --> 3DMark Vantage: 10856

:):):)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008

5. deusex

deusex Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080 Ti FE
    Well, I'm starting to regret my purchase. First, Brothers in Arms Hell H. have missing textures and I can't play it anymore (known bug), now FarCry 2 reboots while talking to one of game characters. What problem will be in the next game?

I don't think I will ever return to ATI. I spend $600 for nothing.

6. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    The first part is a driver issue, most new cards have some Driver glitches, the second part has nothing to do with the card at all...

also note I have Brother in arms with newest drivers and have no texture issues at all, secondly, I have Farcry 2 and have yet to see any crash issues....

7. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

Look at your system specifications. Hopefully those aren't current. If so, I think you're blaming the GPU instead of other components of your computer - they are kind of really old now, and not fast enough. Your CPU is possibly bottlenecking your system - single-core, and only at 2.7 GHz. Bottlenecking isn't as common as most think, and as long as you aren't in the mid-2.0 GHz levels, you should be fine, but I think single-core CPUs will hurt you.

And my card works PERFECTLY with anything I want to play - best card I ever owned. I was previously an nVidia buyer until this card came out. I wonder how the HD 5870 X2 will fare against nVidia's next best GPU. I just buy the best.

- PR-0927

8. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
    i have a 38070x2 bought it the week they came out... im thinking off upgradeing to 4870x2 next month... im also getting a soundcard... just wondering if ill notice much difference... like when i upgraded from hd2600 to this 3870x2 i was blown away??? and should i get a titanium fatality or get an xtreme gamer?

9. Starmonger

Starmonger Active Member

GPU:
    4870 x2
    Anyone else playing Dead Space? its a great game. but its annoying as you have to turn of vsync to make the controls smooth (even with a gamepad), and i cant seem to force on AA or anything- but that may just be the CCC and all games, havnt tried it in others. Im using 8.10. Is there a workaround for not being able to force AA/vsync etc?

10. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Hehe. I owned a 3870X2 too. Remember that wasn't a bad card at all. The 4870X2 is great and you'll notice it will perform better at higher resolutions or in games with high resolution textures (like the QTP3/QTP3R mod in Oblivion). It will also accept more eye candy like AA without significant performance loss.

I also "upgraded" to a Titanium. The problem I have with it is that it doesn't have a mic boost. In fact the mic level is still very low. Sometimes the mic doesn't even get recognized by apps and games. If you use MIDI then don't get it because it lacks the connector. Although the sound quality isn't bad, there are cards from other manufacturers that have better sound. I think it is too expensive for what it offers.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008

11. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Am a ''proud owner'' 4870 x2 as well now but damn is it problematic

12. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Currently the 4870X2 is better supported than the 3870X2. I am glad I upgraded.

13. Overclocked76

Overclocked76 Member

GPU:
    Sappphire 4870X2 2gig
    I used to have an FX55 single core cpu with my 3870X2, It was only when i upgraded to a quad core that i realised how much the FX55 was bottlenecking the card...let alone a 4870X2

14. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    I had a 3870x2 before..I killed it somehow. But I upgraded to a 4870x2. I've never looked back. I stand by the 4870x2. It will only get better with more mature drivers.

15. XtraCrispy

XtraCrispy New Member

GPU:
    corsair/pc8500/4GB
    Benchmarks

Hi all. I have this card but I suspect that only 1 GPU is being utilized. I ran 3D mark vantage and my score was 12k. I'm sure thats way too low? MY system consists of a Q6600 overclocked to 3GHZ, 4GB RAM. Any ideas? What should my score be?

16. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    My best score in 3dmark vantage was P12925, but you are probably correct about 1 gpu being used. Due to immature drivers i think.

17. Starmonger

Starmonger Active Member

GPU:
    4870 x2
    no that sounds about right id say for vantage. i get P13135 and thats q6600 @ 3.3

for 3dmark 06 i get 18329

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  18. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Is that your overall or GPU score? And is that a Performance score.

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 590
    Those number are about right for your configuration , dont worrie its ok ,Now go play some good games :D

20. XtraCrispy

XtraCrispy New Member

GPU:
    corsair/pc8500/4GB
    That was the overall score, and it was on performance.
    thanks for the responses guys!