4870 X2 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Stukov, Aug 13, 2008.

1. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    No, the card uses around 280 watts fully loaded. That review is measuring the power load of the entire system. It's a bit poorly explained, so I can see why you're thinking it's for the card alone.

In any case, don't let these results fool you. You need to calculate in alot of headroom when choosing a PSU for your system.

2. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:

I haven't see any in particular but supposedly it'll atleast boost fps by 20% over previous Quads..not sure.
    I been told more..

thats nice , thanks for the highlight...although I do have a question..

Infact this question goes to every X2 owner.

I have here a Video here of the 9800GX2 against a GTX280 , the GTX 280 @ 24fps looks to run much smoother then the GX2 @ 32fps !
    I guess if I'm not mistaken , that's what they call Micro Shutter..

Could u guys confirm , that this sluggishness @ 24-30fps doesn't at all exist on the X2 when playing Crysis..
    Is it like the GTX280 in that Video or is it more like the 9800GX2 in the Video ?

Please let me know..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYnXxI1UjxE&feature=related

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  3. eduardmc

eduardmc Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 580 SLI 900/1800/4200

The 483w is not the videocard power load alone, IS THE SYSTEM LOAD, including harddrives, dvd drive, cpu, ram, fans, cpu, motherboard, AND THE 4870X2.

4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I've been running my 4870X2 for about a week or so now with my old OCZ 600w PSU. No probs, no shutdowns! Just been playing STALKER Clear Sky maxed out at 1920x1200:D

I'm going to upgrade my PSU fairly soon though.

5. Peentje

Peentje Member

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    I can measure my power consumption and an overclocked QX9650@4.0ghz + 2x 4870X2 in crossfirex uses around 700-750W fully loaded. The rule is quite simple, for a single card an 850W PSU is advised, a crossfire setup can really use a 1000W PSU for enough headroom. Just in case someone needed some real test results ;)

6. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    This is what Hilbert got:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4870-x2-review-crossfire/6

7. airblazer

airblazer Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire 2x 5870 1GB
    Did you fine Stalker a bit laggy?
    Maxed all my settings out and it reminds me of a ****e console port it lags so much.
    Of course I pushed the terrain vision upto max which mightn't have been a good idea..Seems better now that I switched off AA/AF and brought the slider down to about 40%.

8. Dupoint

Dupoint Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 X2 2GB
    To KOS-MOS, Stukov, John, tuco and everyone else who helped, thanks a lot guys!

I fixed the issue by installing Cat 8.8h official...seems to have been a driver issue (wow, never imagined drivers pulling that off! :O ), and hard-shutdowns didn't happen again.

Seems to me that my PSU still has lots of juice left in it! :p Tried a load test as John suggested, system managed just fine...however, I will be investing in a bigger PSU in the near future.

9. Hsvdude

Hsvdude Member

GPU:
    GeCube 4870x2
    I'm using a Vista install and have tried numerous drivers, and on low or high, I still get about 40 fps in Crysis, drops under <20 in CoD 4 and <50 in TF2?

Wtf is going on? And the performance with my GTX 280 is hardly better? Is it a setting in my BIOS or what because my game performance is terrible :(

Please help.

Also if any of the clocks are set above default with overdrive the graphics get covered in artifacts.

10. Leviathan-

Leviathan- Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780GTX SC ACX
    Could be many things, even not hardware related..
    Try to make a scan for spyware, followed by a full virus scan on the computer.

If nothing works :

Check for any software that is not needed and runs on the background.. it could be eating some of your processing.

If you are playing online and having those issues it can be normal depending on the servers you are playing on.

11. Hsvdude

Hsvdude Member

GPU:
    GeCube 4870x2
    Woah now the graphics massively screw up when I use AA it seems on the 4870x2.

Ive tried numerous operating systems and numerous installs. CoD 4 and Crysis offline and TF2 online on any server. Doubt it could be a background program. Windows Live Messenger... thats about all it could possibly be.... Doubt that is doing anything though.

Going to try the GTX280 and if that works well i'm getting rid of this thing.

12. Leviathan-

Leviathan- Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780GTX SC ACX
    Hmm have you done any changes to the PCI-E Frequency in the bios ?

Also im not a fan of PSU's with +12V multirails and yours seem to have plenty.. with some variations on each rail your (Rail 1,2,5,6 are 18A, 3 and 4 are 28A), dont know if there's a specific position for each you should check the manual for more info.

13. Chris85

Chris85 Member Guru

GPU:
    Club3D HD5800
    got one aswell now.
    build the new rig over the weekend.

haven't been able to test it's potential yet, but so far so good.
    do have to say that Catalyst 8.8's suck donkey wank
    gonna try the beta's now

14. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Mild first 5 minutes of Crysis spoilers!

I just had a very similar issue. Computer decided to reboot in Crysis when you find the second member of the team (hung from a tree). It zooms in on his face, then does that horrible noise as if it has crashed (that dull thud kind of noise, over and over again) and then just hard reboots.

I have a HX1000W PSU, and my fan speed for the X2 is manual at 45%. Please tell me this isn't too low -_-

The card is overclocked using Overdrive to 800/950 (core/memory, obviously). I get no artifacts or anything like that, so I assume it is fine? Should I try stock settings instead?

15. Starmonger

Starmonger Active Member

GPU:
    4870 x2
    Well it looks a new mobo could be happening after all- I have just moved house and transported my computer in a car for 2 hours, and it looks like its now broken. The mobo powers everything on ok, but it wont post the bios at all. Ive tried clearing the cmos, and tried taking the ram out and gpu etc, and even with just the mobo and hd's in (and the cpu), its still not posting or loading up.

16. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Little update to my problem; Rivatuner says my X2 is at roughly 74c when playing Crysis, and Windows has decided it was a "video hardware" issue.

17. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Occasionally, I have reduced AA and AF down to X8.

18. achille5

achille5 Member

GPU:
    Ordered a 4870x2 and some other goodies this morning, should be coming inna few days, will be sure to post some benchmarks as soon as I get it. Happy to finally be back on the dark side.

19. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Have you tested your system for stability? Even though you're running stock, check Prime/memtest to ensure everything else is fine before you start investigating graphics card issues. And yes, definitely try stock clocks. Your current overclock will do nothing to your performance either way.

I decided to order a new motherboard after all the problems my board has decided to throw at me recently. Hopefully that should fix things for me..

20. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Will run memtest and the like before work tomorrow. Been playing Crysis almost all day (purely for scientific testing reasons), and it crapped out on me once. However, using Rivatuner, it seems the temp hit the low 70s with my fan set to 70%; the time it crapped out I was running 45% and do not know what temps, and therefore was likely to be significantly higher than the early 70s. Seems likely to me that these were actually heat issues. Never the less, memtest and Prime in the morrow.

That 50MHz on the core nothing much then I assume? :/

Also, what problems were you having with your board exactly?