4870 X2 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Stukov, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:

Has the X2 given a noticable performance boost in Supreme Commander to ur previous card..
    Does it slow down in large battles..
    Thanks alot for the information..

2. Starmonger

Starmonger Active Member

GPU:
    4870 x2
    well to my surprise it has. my previous card was an 8800gtx oc'd a little. Supcom was pretty much one of the games that i didnt think would get much faster, but yeah id say it definatly has. It does still slow down in large battles, but its a lot smoother than it was before. I wasnt really playing it that much with my 8800gtx, as it was a little bit too jerky for my liking, but now its what im playing the most. Btw, how well does it play with your rig?

I would of thought that with your processor you'l get a lot more performance out of it. Seeing as how much better it is now, id love to have your processor then it would fly!

As for other games, it's a bit of a mixed bag. Most games have definatly shown a good improvemnt- COD4, tf2, mass effect, and a couple of others. But, for some reason World in conflict doesnt run as smooth as it did with my 8800gtx, and crysis isnt too good either. But then, thats probably just my rig or drivers. I might try world in conflict with the catalyst AI set to advanced, that might help it...

3. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    AI intensive games like SupC really benefit from quad or more cores.

4. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hey Stukov, is there an option in your bios to set PCIe to 1.0/1.0a or to reduce PCIe 2.0 speed to 8x? If so, are you able to run a few benches and compare that to full 2.0 speed?

I'm just curious if there is any difference at all. I'm considering a new board now, not because of PCIe 2.0 alone, but because my Abit board has given me nothing but trouble lately.

5. Starmonger

Starmonger Active Member

GPU:
    4870 x2
    oh yeah, i forgot to mention. I never play supcom against AI, only online against other players. (im still rubbish at it even though ive had it for over a year)

6. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Starmonger, the beta 8.8 take crysis to another level :)
    Is it a fresh install?

John, The Asus rampage formula is a great board if you are looking for one.

Good luck

7. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Nah... If I were to get X48, I'd get a DDR3 board. Not worth it at this point with Nehalem so close. I'll be opting for a P45 board; most likely the P5Q Deluxe.

8. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    Thanks for the super feed back , this is exactly the kind of gaming feed back I was looking for..u nailed it..
    Yes SupCom does benefit from Quad's but it's still not quite well utilized , all 4 cores aren't taken proper advantage off..
    In other words FPS goes down to 19 !!!
    During fights between 2 large armies , certain zoom levels impact performance a whole lot more , like if ur zoom is default and you've got 700units fighting 7 to 800units , fps will hit 19-20 roughly..
    It's slightly annoying since SupCom would really shine if u could have all those units fighting smoothly..
    Quad is better for the game but wont eliminate all those typical issues..
    I guess the extra cores help reduce AI over heads..
    I wonder if it's the coding !

Other then that , I play World In Conflict alot...really was expecting it to be much faster with the X2..
    Crysis on the other hand is one of my most favorite games , some how having that perform bad with the X2 is surly a disappointment.
    Since in my view, an upgrade should help resolve all previous gaming errands..
    I've seen vids on youtube , Crysis really does run the way it should with 3 GTX 280's...i guess that's that..
    But I guess I'll wait and see how the next drivers resolve these issues..
    I dont know about Crysis but all the rest smells like buggy drivers..
    But thanks for the info..

Crysis War Heads coming out and I hate my self for not being able to decide.. :D

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  9. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    I guess I am not excited about nehalem and their ddr3 memory req. I use my PC for gaming and I haven't seen yet any advantage of nehalem over an oced 4ghz(big cache) cpu. Are there preview benchmarks(gaming wise) for it?

Good luck

10. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Marri, The HD4870x2 (beta 8.8)actually runs crysis pretty well, I ve said in other posts that I play it at 1920x1200 veryhigh(shaders,texture,water)/high 4xAA min30fps 55avg(spikes 70fps). In my case the 4870x2 is nowhere near a disappointment. Extremely happy with it.

11. domen

domen Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD4890
    Intel showed Lost Planet at IDF, running with both Penryn and Nehalem at same clock speed. Apparently Nehalem was 50-80% faster + they are supposed to be easily overclockable to 4+Ghz.

12. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Exciting news !! by any chance do you know at what resolution was presented? I play at 1920x1200.

13. Starmonger

Starmonger Active Member

GPU:
    4870 x2

have a look at this review of different processors and the 4870x2 if you havnt allready: http://www.****************com/document.php?id=770&p=0
    your processor should be near the top as its a quad core and oc'd
    it has some supcom benchmarks aswell

I have read a lot of reviews which show crysis with really high results, and have heard people on threads like this one, talking about how fast crysis runs on very high etc, so i don't know if it's just these drivers or my rig that can't run it properly, but either way from what i gather this card does do well in crysis under certain conditions (eg having the right processor maybe). Unfortunatly i can't seem to install any other drivers so i'll have to wait for the next official ones.

when i play supcom, im allways constantly zooming around and changing the camera angle to see the action at it's best- trouble is it makes me obsessive about how well it's performing, rather than how well i'm performing lol. It's allways run like crap if you tilt the camera with space bar, so that your looking across the battlefield at a large army. But from a top down view its usualy a lot better. you've resasured me a bit, that a quad core might not make a much of a difference (i was tempted to buy one), as i have many a time imagined that it would be smooth if only i had a quad :)

EDIT: i cant get that link to work properly.. but its legionhardware in place of the stars (is that a naughty word or somethign?)

14. Starmonger

Starmonger Active Member

GPU:
    4870 x2
    its not a fresh install, im using vista x64. Do you think maybe I should do one? I have a lot of games installed but that's all really, so it would be a bit of a hasstle but not impossible.

15. domen

domen Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD4890
    Dont know about res. My guess is that it wasn't very high, since 50-80% better performance at 1920x1200 would be ridiculous, if even possible.

16. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    A fresh install did it for me, it was so good that I decided to change mainboard because it had an nvidia chipset(lol), and I got dual core to replace my q6600 since it wasnt a very good overclocker.

I know the pain of reinstalling games, but it was worth it at the end for me.

Make sure to download/install sp1 before you install your ati drivers.

Good luck

17. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Why would you drop a quad to a duo? not understanding this.

As far as me, im still not happy with scores.... Ive had some issues with this board already with some stuff, now with the 4780 x2 i think its seriously showing its age.

I think its time to retire this p5B deluxe mobo and get something else.

What ya guys think? And if I do that, i may slap a new cpu in there also. What ya think?

18. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Has anyone else been experiencing crashes and BSOD while running 3dmark06 or vantage?
    I'm using 2x 4870X2 in crossfirex and all the time when benchmarking with 3dmark it crashes. The weird thing is it never crashes during a particular test, it's always between tests, when a new one is being loaded or when one is being closed (so in the small amount of time it returns to the desktop to prepare for the next test). Even when my CPU is not OC'ed I still get these crashes. Screen goes black, BSOD or the pc sometimes even restarts just like that. I'm running vista 32bit and have tried the 8.8 and 8.9 beat drivers of catalyst, each with the same result, it doesn't matter wether it's 3dmark06 or vantage, it rarely finishes all the tests succesfully without crashing. For some reason I can't seem to help thinking this is driver related... Your thoughts?
    Also in the short time I see the BSOD before computer reboots I see something about "driver" being listed, but it's too fast to read anything else :)

Anyone heard of these problems already from other people/forums? Or experiencing it four yourself? Hope someone can help me out here...

19. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming

Like I said my Q6600 was NOT a good overclocker, most of games dont take advantage of quads so E8600 was the perfect option for me. Why? less heat, less power comsuption, insane room for oc 4.5ghz so far really easy.

Wait to see nehalem benchmarks and make a decision :)

Peentje, I think vista64 is a better OS for your hardware. It may solve a couple of things.

Good luck

20. Starmonger

Starmonger Active Member

GPU:
    4870 x2
    your tempting me to do it. Please could you exlain a little more about what it was like before and after? thanks