1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4870 X2 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Stukov, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Well, looks like a good number of people bought this club (including myself). Figured with such an exotic card we should have an owners club, to discuss how much we love our card, any quirks it may have, and the varying comp setups we are putting it in. We could probably answer any questions for anyone thinking of getting the card as well.

First step, anyone know where or how we are going to do a bios update to change the fan profile and possibly the clocks?

Second step, how about everyone post what kind of CPU (Intel/AMD Quad/Duo), Chipset, and Mhz their 4870 will go into their system.

Edit* Also, I will update my OP to include any information on the card we discover here or someone posts here. Mods you are welcome to add the information if I seemed to have missed it.

Benchmarking/Stats
    I won't be logging down frequencies, driver version, or OS for the normal stats, but to be included when you do benchmarking.

So to have your benchmark included (as seen down below as example) please include CPU/GPU/GPURAM speeds and the OS/Driver you are using.

----------------------------------------------------------------

8.8 Catalyst Beta (reported better speed in Crysis and CF scaling properly for RV770 CF & R700

XP 32/64bit http://www.files.to/get/347238/77gwst30qa (I verified)

Vista 32/64bit http://www.files.to/get/347201/2f00xwmemt (I verfied)

Volt mod thread (not yet any info) - http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=198153

Additional Cooling

Fan Control
    http://en.expreview.com/img/software/0808/Expertool-ati.exe

Water Blocks
    Europe - http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=301

Performance
    The 4870 X2 performs better in Vista than in XP, in some games as much as 20-100%.

Drivers

8.8 Beta 8.52.2 seems to be the best, fastest, most stable drivers for the X2. Some people have no problems with 8.8.

8.8 Official does have a glitch where when you start your computer your GPU useage will be insane, it will continue to do so until you launch a 3d application.

8.9 Beta peforms close to 8.8 Beta, but also has the bug from 8.8 Official with idle temps due to GPU usage on bootup.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  2. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I have seen many people have complaints or just questions about this card. Through this thread many of us have figured some of these things out, here is some things to remember before you buy this card (if it is right for you) and things to remember after you have bought it.

Things to consider before buying it

1) Dual GPU/Single Card - Dual GPU cards are fast cards, but with new games (like brand new games) they will not run correctly right off the bat, this is due to either poor opitimization for dual GPUs in the game, or (and this is mostly it) not having a driver profiled to work with the new game.

These new games will run slower than a single card, but there are several things you can do to change that.
    a: Turn off Catalyst AI so that one of the GPU's are disabled, your card will now run as fast as single 4870 1GB card (which is fast in it's own right)
    b: Install a new driver package that has a driver profile for the X2, this can be checked by either reading the driver notes or reading this thread or the thread in the ATI drivers section where people talk about how the new driver is. (see section on ATI drivers)
    c: Rename the exe, because how ATI does it's profiling for the games, sometimes you can rename and exe to get a boost or for it to use the 2nd GPU properly, this doesn't always work but is worth a try.

2) Very fast, but designed for higher resolution - the X2 card has alot of GPU power, most of which won't be taken advantage of unless you crank up the resolution, you will not see much of an improvement with current games running anything lower than 1600 resolution. The only game that shows a good benefit from the X2 even at 1280x or 1024x resolution is Call of Juarez. If you want to use this card make sure you are either maxing out AA (8x or higher) and/or using 1680x resolution or higher. The card really struts it sell at 1920x and 2560x.

3) CPU Bottleneck - as mentioned above the card is very fast, however even at 1920x+ resolution you need a fast CPU in order to take advantage of it. You need at least a 3.6ghz to 4ghz+ C2D to really take advantage of this card.

4) Heat/Power/Noise - this card is designed for enthusiast, out of the box it will run a little warm and it requires some work to do some custom fan speed. The card, like any other enthuiast card will be a little loud if you crank up the fan speed (though when you do crank it up it really keeps the card cool).

You need a 550-800 watt PSU (depends on # of components and type) to run this card, you will also need one with good Amps on the 12v rail. Some people have problems until they update their PSU, other people have some really high quality 500-600watt PSU's that can handle the card fine.

If you have a 65nm quad core, you will need to OC it to get good performance which requires a good amount of power. You will want 750-850 range PSU if that is the case.

5) Require's tinkering - Some people can get this card to work and do everything they want and have no problems, however different people have different things they want to be able to do. Other people just understand how ATI cards works. Both ATI and Nvidia's cards/drivers have quirks, being used one side and switching to the other can give anyone a head ache. If you are switching manufacturers be advised it will take some time getting used to. There will be some things you like, some you don't.

6) Drivers - The main thing that allows the X2 to be were it is is software and the drivers. That does not mean all the time they are up to snuff. A few years ago ATI's drivers weren't considered as good as Nvidia's. Now I would say they are equal if not better - however that is not to say they are perfect or without fault, but if you are switching from Nvidia you need to understand how ATI's driver process works.

a: Once a month ATI releases a new Catalyst driver, the driver numbering system works like this. Catalyst 8.9 Official, 8 is the last number of the year, 2008, the 9 is month. For example 8.12 is December of 2008.
    b: Every once in a while a beta driver may be released, they are usually called whatever the next months driver will be like 8.8 Beta, sometimes they are referred to by driver number, such as the 8.8 Beta actually has 3 different versions (which is rare only because of the X2 launch) like 8.52.2, 8.52.4, 8.52.6. To know which is the latest look at the driver date.
    c: Sometimes beta drivers may run some games better than the official drivers this is due to several things, firstly a new beta driver may be an official driver that comes out later. This is because every month ATI has to submit the driver to Microsoft to be certified, this takes several weeks at times.
    d: Hotfixes, these come out when there is a serious problem with the last driver or a specfic fix that address something like a new game that just came out, these are not certified, but recommended.
    e: New games take a while to have a good driver update for, it depends on the complexity of game, how many other things they can fix, and if they do increase performance - if that breaks compatibility or causes a problem (like artifacting), etc. A beta driver may see a new game get performance increase sooner than another game.

A driver could take between 1 and 3 months depending on the number of games that was released, when it was released, and where in the month the driver was originally submitted.

For example, if a new game comes out on the 17th and the new drivers are released on the 20th, your game is likely not going to have a profile for another month if not longer. But that depends on when the game was given to ATI for driver work, some TWIMTBP sponsored Nvidia games I think sometimes don't get submitted to ATI right away so Nvidia cards run it better.

Stand by more and proof reading, I am really busy at work and can't keep a train of thought going.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Benchmarks
    What you should get approximately for your X2.
    Vantage P13,500-P16,000 (for the GPU)
    3DMark'06 20k-30k (quad core really boosts score)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Club Member Names: (outdated)
    Stukov
    Mechachrome
    John
    Psychlone
    JaxMacFL
    sdamaged99
    chispy
    speedpc
    Jonesboy21
    x-speed69
    chief dave
    Chenumi
    C DuDe
    drouge
    Glenboy
    4var1
    whitelightning
    SirBC
    tommcd64
    kejjey
    adadk
    saintepsilon
    Jibboom
    psyxeon
    eduardmc
    rossiki
    PaulvH
    Paulo Narciso
    th84
    tuco
    Skiddywinks

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  3. Mechachrome

Mechachrome Member

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    Ive read the reviews also the some have used another a bios update myself.This card will be used in a new rig im building :
    E8400
    Zalman 9700 fan
    Striker 2 formula or DFI p45 DK (whichever works the best personally im hoping for the DFI board as past ones have been good to me)
    4G DDR2 Corsair ram 1066
    SILVERSTONE ST85F 850W
    Audigy 2 card
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB x2
    Xclio A380+ case

If everything goes well i hope to build this rig on Sat an test it out.:)

4. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC VEGA64 Red Devil
    If you see my profile, you'd prolly have guessed that I'd be a card carrying member of this club as well.....but I'll wait for those with better non-reference coolers before I'd snag one......or two.

5. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Couldn't resist, I ordered one myself just now. Went for the Sapphire one, though it isn't in stock. It's confirmed for next monday, so I'll have it sometime next week.

Wooo :D

Edit: yeah and my card is going on water as soon as there's a waterblock available for it.

6. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Updated stats on second post.

7. JumperR

JumperR Master Guru

GPU:
    GtX 570 @ 900/1950

I will let u know when i get mine. :p I am gonna be making video with my camera.. , Showing off!!! lol

8. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
    My should arrive within the next hour.:) From the reviews I've read the sapphire should oc on core 790 - 805 and memory 950 - 990. Don't know if it's even needed though. Curious how the temps we be though. Ooooh, it's here...gotta go:banana::banana::banana:

9. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I'm in - Newegg got some more Sapphire stock in late last night and I placed the order as soon as I saw it.

Psychlone

CPU
    Phenom 9850BE

Motherboard
    M3A32-MVP Deluxe (Soon to be M3A79-T Deluxe)

Ram
    4GB

10. Dupoint

Dupoint Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 X2 2GB
    I'm so getting this as soon as I find it in local stores here... :)

11. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Updated system stats & added 8.8 Beta cats (need to be verified by a Guru member) better reported Crysis performance for 4800 CF + 4870 X2.

12. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I am wondering... It appears that the physical layout of the 3870X2 and 4870X2 is the same. Not sure, though. If so then maybe you can use this one:

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7269.html

13. eduardmc

eduardmc Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 580 SLI 900/1800/4200
    why would overclock this beast, there's no need to, just to get 2 o 3 frame on heavy load games, or 10fps on games that are already running at 200fps

14. Mechachrome

Mechachrome Member

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT

Aye i agree with you on that tho the rig im building wont be staying with me( for my brother) i would'a got a 260 or 280 had some1 put a non-reference cooler on it. This is the card i have in my current system http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121263

An i really like it.Unlike my bro who dosent seem to mind dropping that much for a card (he wanted 2 in Xfire an i talked him outa it) i sort'a try for best band for buck.Im hoping Sapphire will make a toxic version of the 4870 with 1g.:smile:

15. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX1080 Ti
    Count me in, specs on the left !

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    You can add me too ,

Speccifications of rig -

Biostar TPower i45 - intel P45 chipset
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
    Sapphire 4870x2
    4x 1GB Team Xtreme DDR2-1200
    Silverstone OP 1000w

Heres a volt mod tread at eXtreme Systems Forum Just started - http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=198153

17. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    CoolIt is not... down my lane, if you catch my drift. But thanks anyway. From what I've read though there's a bit of a confusion around if the 3870x2 blocks fit or not. From what I've seen so far, it seems not. I'll wait for EK to come out with some sweet full cover block for this puppy :)

18. Speedpc

Speedpc Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4Gig
    I'm going to do a fresh install of both OS's tonight and my Sapphire HD4870X2 card should be here Thursday. I really liked the VisionTek HD4870 performance over my 8800GT (SC) in SLI it should be interesting what this card will do :)

19. domen

domen Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD4890
    This thing is very tempting. Maybe i should just click my mouse button already :D Sorry for offtopic but what's the best brand to go with? Sapphire?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  20. psyxeon

psyxeon Master Guru

GPU:
    vega
    I´m getting tempted too, but It costs 470 euro here!

How much are you guys paying?